• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Gas makes my rectum hurt?!

For the last week or so, passing gas has been quite painful because I get a sore feeling about where my rectum is. It's not from going to the toilet too much as I can pretty much control that by taking loperamide everyday (I'm aware this isn't great but it's the only thing that allows me to go to school and have a social life). So it's not sore from irritation or anything. But if I need to pass wind it's makes it really sore and though it's not unbearable, it's as if I can't hold it in because doing so just makes it feel so sore! (hahahaha I sound like an idiot but you know..)
It's kind of the same pain when I have a BM but I notice it more when I'm windy. My colonoscopy in september showed patchy erythema in rectum but was dismissed as going so much from the prep. It was biopsied and was normal..

Does anyone else get this, or know what it is? Also, is this a kind of symptom of ibs or something? (I assumed in ibs the only reason you would have a sore rectum is from going to the loo so much?) I also often feel like my coccyx is achey (haha) but again, it's not as if I'm having loads of BMs.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Is it possible you have something like a fissure, abcess or fistula going on back there? Gas isn't usually painful when it comes out so that's a bit worrisome. Make sure to mention it to your doctor at your next appointment. In the meantime, you might want to try something like Beano or Gas-x to relieve some of the gas. I'm not sure what it could be, but I hope you get some relief soon!

I'm not sure, I don't have any blood or anything so probably not I don't think? I'm just not sure about anything really, I have no clue if I have ibs or something else, if certain things are normal or not etccc... & I will try to mention it if she let's me get a word in edgeways! Last time I didnt have a chance to describe any new symptoms. :/ Thank you, anyway!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
That's not good, you need to make sure your doctor hears your concerns and lets you speak! You're pretty young, right? I'm assuming one of your parents goes with you to doctor appointments? If so, make sure your parents know that your doctor needs to let you speak or perhaps you can write everything down and give it to the doctor to read.

What symptoms do you have? If you've experienced anything like fever, unintentional weight loss, or nocturnal diarrhea (the urge to poo wakes you in the night) then it's not IBS. Here's a couple of links that might help you understand the difference between IBS and IBD a little better:
http://www.badgut.org/information-centre/the-irritable-gut-ibs-vs-ibd-1.html
http://ibdcrohns.about.com/cs/ibs/a/diffibsibd.htm

It could be inflammation in the rectum area, I experience the same thing. Do you use Proctofoam or Canasa suppositories? These work fast and definitely help, although a word of warning with Canasa, when you pass gas an oily residue can come out on your clothing, so wear your old undies and a panty liner in the back for protection.

Yeah, mum comes with me always but she seems to think it's ibs aswell (although she thinks she has ibs but I'm convinced it's something more serious because of symptoms which don't fit, like nocturnal diarrhoea and a funny kind of lump which she still won't see a doctor for). I will make sure I'm heard next time though. Writing things down might help.
I have had gradual but unintentional weight loss, and I often wake up with pain and sometimes (if I'm having a bad few weeks) wake up with diarrohea. This doesn't happen very often only because I was advised to take loperamide before bed too, to get it in my system for the morning because otherwise I'll go 4-5 times before school which makes me more stressed out..
Thank you for those links and your advice, I'll read through them :)
Either way I want help other than paracetamol and loperamide, and antispasmodics don't really help.

It could be inflammation in the rectum area, I experience the same thing. Do you use Proctofoam or Canasa suppositories? These work fast and definitely help, although a word of warning with Canasa, when you pass gas an oily residue can come out on your clothing, so wear your old undies and a panty liner in the back for protection.
I haven't used either, I'll look those up.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
That sounds a lot like me, the first year that I was ill I gradually lost about 20 lbs even though I was trying to maintain my weight or regain the lost weight. I ate junk food like crazy when I was feeling well enough to eat, but I still lost weight. And anti-spasmodics don't do much of anything for me either - they're mainly used for IBS, so if they're not helping your symptoms then that's another indication that this probably isn't IBS.

I hope that doctor listens to you the next time you have an appointment. Are you seeing a GP or a gastroenterologist (GI)? If you're just seeing a GP, it's a good idea to ask for a referral to a GI.

That's weird because I actually have lost about 20 pounds in a year too. And honestly I basically eat crap because I figured if everything I eat makes me ill I might as well eat it anyway (except on really bad days.. soup for me :3). I took colofac for about 3-4 months which didn't do anything so I stopped. I tried taking them again a few weeks back for like 2 weeks, and I'm not sure if they even had time to work but I'm sure they actually made me feel worse, or at least not any better if I was already feeling bad. I'm sure those 2 weeks were probably nearing the most amount of pain ever. I'm seeing a GI right now, I've only seen her twice but I've already had a colonoscopy and am having a barium x ray soon, so at least she's actually trying something.