• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Gas

My son developed Crohns in December. Took budesodine for four weeks and now been on imuran for six. He is not eating Dairy, Wheat, pork or beef due to high sensativity levesl from a IGg test. He feels much better, gained a little weight, but still has bad gas in the evenings. Does the gas ever go away?

thanks.

Hi twob
It seems a very complicated subject to me... even taking note of what I eat I can suddenly bloat up like a pregnant man, with no explanation or idea of what's caused it.
However, I've got one observation... I've had dental problems for the last three weeks (that's all in another another thread), but the resulting soreness in my mouth has caused me to eat everything very slowly. In all that time I've not been troubled by gas AT ALL. Hoping to keep up the practice when my mouth gets better. I've also read that it's not a good idea to drink while you're eating. Have a drink afterwards.

I used to be into "food combining" once, and I still stick to some of the principles. For example, don't eat fruit before you eat a heavy protein - such as, don't have a piece of melon followed by a burger. the protein just traps the fruit in your stomach too long and it starts to ferment. Should be plenty of information on food combining available on the internet and in books. You don't have to go really extreme, just keep it in mind.

Crohns ulceration can actually produce its own gas too... maybe your son could try taking a probiotic yoghurt drink every afternoon for a few days, and see if that reduces the amount of gas in the evenings.

I've always had trouble with gas. My son calls it the "Monster in Daddy's belly".

I've tried all sorts of remedies, but, as I now have a stoma, I have different gas problems.
My Stoma Nurse advised me to take peppermint oil capsules to help with the gas in my pouch. I've tried this, but to no avail.

Maybe it's just me, so you could try them for your son.

i have noticed that most of the gas i get is at night especially when i lay on my stomach. i guess thats when it decides its best to go out, which gets a little embarsing when you have someone you just start dating stay the night for the first time, i know its a natural thing and everyone does it but still kinda something you don't like to explain that early in a relationship, kinda a turn off.

Even after being controlled with immuran for over a year now the gas has never really gone away... it does get less though. At least for me.

Things i've found:

Having hot drinks that you sip. That seams to give me major bloatage.
If the gas turns to pain there is a trick I learned found to helping it pass:

Lay on your back on somthing soft. Bring your knees up just a little to help straighten your back. Breath slowly and very gently massage your intestines in small circles slowly getting bigger, lift hands and repeat. This really helps move anything along I've found. You can even put a heat pad under your lower back, not sure if it helps much... but it helps with the pain if the gas starts to feel like its breaking your back.