• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Gastroparesis, slow stomach emptying (slightly off topic)

I think I have gastroparesis. (Gastroparesis is a condition that reduces the ability of the stomach to empty its contents, but there is no blockage (obstruction))

to be dx with it i would need to have another barium test and i think i am still tramatized from the last one.

I am full after eating only a few bites, nausaus, and have horrible heartburn. What convinced me today was that i saw something online about feeling overly full and hungry at the same time. It's awful! I don't have diabetes which is common with gastroparesis, which is a big doubt in my docs mind

I already take a medication for it called Reglan. but Reglan has crazy side effects and is messing with the rest of my body too much. So now I have to stop it but the other one med that is out there is not apporoved for use in the US. (it cause problems with breast feeding).

Does anyone else have gastroparesis with there crohn's? what do you do about it?

I understand what a lot of you who are undiagnosed feel.

Instead of a barium study you could have a gastric emptying study. I had one and it was ok. Basically you fast overnight and tthen eat a radio labelled omlette ( only a small one- the radiographer makes it for you!!)
Then you lie on a bed and they periodically takes pictures which show how much and how quickly the food moves.
There are several meds that promote gastric emptying like metoclopramide and domperidone which may help if you are shown to have problems.

Brian:

Gastroparesis is actually becoming more & more common amongst the Crohn's community but very little is done about it because, as the flare subsides, so does the GP. I had a scope in April that showed food was still in my stomach, despite the clean out. The funny thing is, I did not eat one thing for THREE days before my scope because I just felt so full. I had a gastric emptying study that confirmed. I now can't eat any meat-only chicken-or I won't eat for days. I also have gastritis which makes it worse. My Rhuemy & 2 GI's told me if I don't eat more, I'm getting on Reglan.

Reglan has it's own hosts of horrid risks but it's to the point where it's an option. Ask your GI to do the gastric emptying test. It takes about 5 hours but it's worth it! If your on Prednisone, it also can cause symptoms simmilar to gastroparesis.

I'm not diagnosed, but I feel for you. :( Having one disease on top of another that is undiagnosed sounds like a pain. But like littlemissh and keepingfaith said, I found something on this site that says that the gastric emptying scintigraphy could help you with a diagnosis, too. outlier and Brian, I hope both your tests go well and that you may get the help you need.