• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

G'day from Bayswater Victoria.

Hi all.
This is my first time posting obviously lol.
Mainly involved on car forums but thought id branch out from the same routine and meet other people out there.

I am a 24yo Male from Bayswater victoria and thought i join up and share my story.
My Name is James (preffer Jimmy)

I was diagnosed with Crohns at the age of 9.
It took a couple of years to be diagnosed and first off was told it was just constipation and was put on parachoc by my dr.
After a couple of months on this i had lost weight rapidly and had gotten worse.
Was down to 23kg and spent most of my days laying on a couch in pain and having next to no energy.

In the end my pop said enough is enough and told my mum to take me to the royal childrens hospital.
I wont go for a lon essay on this as i do have a lot to say but am currently camping in Echuca with my wife and 2 boys ages 2/12 and 10months

Anyways i was finally diagnosed with crohns and in the school holidays of 1999/2000 i had my first bowel resection and a illeostomy bag in place to give my large bowel a rest.i also had ulcerative colitis at this stage.
I began to improve after the operation and was on 42 different tablets back then which i cant remember how on earth i was able to fit soo many in my stomach lol.
I was playing tennis before i got sick and was getting active in life.
Anyways after my op everything was coming on the up.
I was putting on weight and gaining strength again and started tennis up but was having minor back pains in my lower back.
I told the drs and they didnt think much of it.
Until..... I was staying at my grandparents one night and got up to brush my teeth and i heard and felt 4 cracks in my back and collapsed onto the floor and couldnt feel my legs. When i arrived at hospital they did an MRI on me and found out i had 4 fractured discs 3 in my lumbar and 1 in my thoracic. As well as an arachnoid cycst wrapped around my spinal cord.
The drs were stunned at this and told me that would explain my back pain i had and the prednisolone had caused my bones to weaken and cause mild arthritis.
I was told i would never walk again if i had the surgery to remove it.
I wouldnt take no for an answer and after many months in a wheel chair and teaching myself to walk again i stunned the drs and was up and walking within 9 months.

FSt forward to 2002 i was in yr9 and i finally had a reversal of my illeostomy and was put on a nsal gastric tube for 9months and attended school every dY whilst being bullied but didnt let it get too me until i snapped one day at a mate and got him back for picking on me. From there on i was left alone by bullies and made heaps of new friends.
In the summer of 2004 i had a small amount of small bowel removed again that was a bit inflamed but was on the up again.
Then i was put on a drug called i fliximab.
It was at its early stages then and i was only you g but qualified for it as part of a trial.
1st dose i had worked wonders then came the 2nd dose a couple of months later and over the p.a. System code blue was called for me and the MET team was called.
I had a severe reaction to the medication and was not allowed to have that again lol.
I have always been an up eat kinda guy and always trying to keep my mind active.

In 2005 i met my beAutiful wife on the internet trough a friend and found out we were in the same music class at school together.
I was always told i could never have kids after the countless drugs and scans and other things i had happening in my life.
We found out my wife may not be a le to have kids either from having PCOS.
Well after 2 mo ths of trying we found out she was pregnNt then a couple of yrs later june last yr we had our 2nd and was married July last year.
Since 2007 i have been on HUMIRA injections 1 per fortnight and i am now working and am up to a whopping 65kg at 168cm tall
I have a lot more to say but thought id leave a bit of forum space for other members.
Thank you for allowing me to join this group and hope to meet you all.

From Jimmy

Last edited:
Welcome, Jimmy!

Blimey, what a rough time you've had over the years, but I think your story will be a great boost for those who are currently going through their own hard times.

You've shown that there is always the prospect of better things ahead. Congratulations on ploughing on through and never giving up. It's a good lesson for us all!

Nitty

Hey jimmy, I'm from qld, sounds like you've been through the wars mate, I'm 24, and don't have any kids, I think I'm along way away from that happening, but just wanted to say glad you're doing better and I hope your health continues to get better. Take it easy bud

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
Jimmy,
I'm so sorry that you have been through all of this. You sound like a strong person. I hope and pray that things start going good for you soon.

And welcome to the forum.

Hi all.
Thank you very much for the welcome.
My crohns is back in remission again after being re introduced to humira after having a break from it for 8months.
But back on the up again and working as a casual b grade wood machinist.
And will be getting taught to become a wood turner next.
So far though i have got back into my music again and playing my guitar and currently purchasing a clarinet and saxaphone.

Sorry for the late response as i have been a bit busy but i will pop in and keep in touch with everyone and love to learn about other peoples sides of their crohns