• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

G'day

G'day everyone,

I'm a 27 year old guy from Australia, diagnosed with Crohn's in December 2004. At first I refused to believe it and after about 6 months on mesalazine/prednisone I took myself off my meds.

I felt pretty good for the next few years, having only a few "flares", which I convinced myself were not Crohn's related (as I had assured myself that I didn't have Crohn's). In 2008 I travelled the world with my girlfriend, and in December had a serious attack, which I put it down to food poisoning. I never really recovered from this flare and finally decided to see another gastro when I got home.

During this time I had what I thought was a haemorrhoid, which hadn't gone away for a couple of months despite treating it. I'd never had one before so didn't know what they looked like.

Turns out it was a fistula. I had a colonoscopy and was most definitely convinced that I had Crohn's. I had a seton put in place for the fistula and have been on mesalazine for the past year and prescribed Budesonide (Entocort) this week.

I'm having a particularly nasty flare at the moment (everything I eat comes back up due to the pain it causes). I am booked in for an MRI scan of my small bowel on Oct 27th, so hopefully that will show what is going on.

Because I was in denial for so long, I probably damaged my bowel by not treating the Crohn's. Finding this forum has allowed me to learn more about Crohn's and how people deal with it.

That's my story... I can't believe how foolish I was by not recognising that I had a disease. I'm glad that I'm now finally getting treatment.

Cheers,

Winemaker.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
:welcome: to the forum Winemaker, I am glad you posted your story, it stands out and people can meet and greet you. You are one of many have been down that road of denial, I myself did even after my first surgery because it took so long to diagnose me and then surgery because I couldnt keep nothing down and landed in the hospital with obstructions.

You could have some narrowing and vomiting is a sign or constipation and vomiting could be a partical blockage. I would stick to bland foods til your scope comes around. Avoid meat for the time being. Hopefully you are not as bad as you think you are but many meds out there to help. Glad you joined us, many young adults here. Wonderful place to vent , support and information. Welcome aboard!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi again winemaker, :bigwave:

Good to see you found your way here. I think you are far from the only one that goes into denial after diagnosis! The main thing is you have recognised that and you are now tackling it head on. Good luck with your scan and please keep us posted on you how you go. Welcome aboard!

Take care, :)
Dusty

PS. BTW I'm in North West NSW.

Thanks guys,

It's really nice to be part of this forum. It's great to read about other people's experiences.

I just finished reading Ziggy's blog about the whole stem cell process.. Man!!!! Inspirational stuff! I am glad that i am not at that stage, but I would love to see it available to anyone who wants to do it. I would rather go and do that tomorrow than try all types of other treatments that may or may not work.

I'm looking forward to my MRI as I have been in some pretty serious pain recently. The only thing that has eased the pain is Oxycontin (which was prescribed to me sometime ago). The only bad thing is that while the pain completely disappears, i turn into a zombie.

Thanks for the welcome.

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hi Winemaker welcome!! Good luck with the scope!! I'm interested in the name...is it a hobby or a career??

Astra

Hi winemaker
and welcome

Yeah I've been there too! Ended up in hospital for a week blocked! What an eye opener!
You could be blocked too if you're vomiting, this was my first indication.
Good luck with the scan, really hope this isn't the case!
lotsa luv
Joan xxx