• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Gene breakthrough

my little penguin

Staff member
Abstract
BACKGROUND: The multidrug resistance MDR1 gene codes for a membrane transporter associated with inflammatory bowel disease. The polymorphism Ala893Ser/Thr (G2677T/A) previously showed significant association with Crohn's disease (CD) and the Ile1145Ile (C3435T) with ulcerative colitis (UC). We studied the association of both polymorphisms in an independent population to reveal the impact of the MDR1 gene on predisposition to inflammatory bowel disease.

METHODS: Case-control study with 321 CD and 330 UC white Spanish patients recruited from the same center, and 352 healthy ethnically matched controls.

RESULTS: A significant association of MDR1 C3435T with CD was observed (CC vs (CT + TT): P = 0.007; OR [95% CI] = 1.58 [1.12-2.23]). A CD susceptibility haplotype 2677T/C3435 was identified. No difference between UC patients as a whole and controls could be detected.

CONCLUSIONS: New evidence supports the role of the MDR1 gene on CD susceptibility. Therefore, considering our results and those from others, the MDR1 gene behaves as a common risk factor for both CD and UC. We discovered that the C3435 allele conferring susceptibility to CD is different from the described 3435T UC risk allele.

From
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16374256/

Dated 2006
So it's been looked at for at least 12 years now

Big Pharma will never pursue it I'm betting. There's no money in it. They'd rather have us take their toxic waste that causes cancer at $5000 a pop.

I really hope so too. I think I will order some as well. I'm getting so depressed and despondent because everything I've tried just causes more problems for me.

I really hope so too. I think I will order some as well. I'm getting so depressed and despondent because everything I've tried just causes more problems for me.

I'm sorry, it's certainly not easy any of this never mind if nothing helps. Let's hope something new comes of this that can do us all good ❤

Bufford

I hope this one will work. So far none of the treatments work for me, some work for awhile, but for the vast majority the side effects are worse than the scourge.

It sounds interesting. The size of the study i.e. 90,000 people would give you some hope that there is some merit to it. I have ordered some of the MitoQ from New Zealand. It cost €70 to ship 30 capsules... effectively this stuff is a bio-available version of COQ10 or Ubiquinol from my googling.

I'm far from 100% convinced... if I had a penny for every mouse that has been cured of colitis, I'd have about €1.50 :)