• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

General tips?

So i'm new to having Crohn's and mine is pretty mild. I know that its different for everyone but is there any diet tips that you guys have like diet stuff and things to stay away from like I hear seeds are bad for Crohn's. You know stuff like that ited be greatly appreciated

afidz

Super Moderator
Because the digestive system is so large and every part of it absorbs different things, its hard to say what things you should stay away from. Yes, nuts and seeds are a bad idea because ulcers usually come along with Crohn's and nuts and seeds could easily get stuck causing further problems. Things high in fiber like vegetables general will cause probles. Dairy upsets some people, others can't tolerate bread or meat. Here is a link you might find useful http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=17707 hope that helps and gives you a little direction

Hi Jaedon!

Hope you're feeling ok :)

With regards to diet and crohns, everyone is completely different! Its really trial and error. Myself, I've found that I cant eat raw veg, skins from fruit i.e. grapes, apples. Anything spicy is a no go (I would sell my granny right now for a kebab!). I also cant eat anything wholegrain, at least during my flare ups. Still trying things out now :)

You could start a food diary, basically just writing down everything you eat and how it effects you. Help you identify what works for you.

Good luck!

Son is living on organic yogurt, puréed soups and smoothies and doing pretty well.

Over the day, he drinks an entire lb of spinach or other greens and a cup of lentils (for iron). And has a couple of huge fruit smoothies. He liked the one he had last night quite a bit: 1 C frozen mango, 1 pint fresh raspberries, 2 bananas, a little water and a quarter cup of almonds.

For his green smoothies, I steam the greens for 5 or 10 minutes, then blend them into a drinkable liquid with half an avocado (for added calories).