• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Generic Pentasa?

Sorry if this thread is redundant, but I couldn't find any info relating to what I'm looking for...

My prescription plan currently lists Pentasa as "preferred" drug, so the co-pay is $25/month. Generic drugs are only $10 a month.

I was wondering if there is a generic version of Pentasa, and if there is, who out there has tried it? Have you had success with it?

Right now the $15 difference is managable but I am on the chopping block to be laid off and am hoping that I could get a generic Pentasa if/when my benefits end, so want to start researching now.

Sorry, but Pentasa is a specific formulation of mesalamine which is still under licence. I am not sure if there is generic mesalamine, but even if there was it would not work in the same way. Pentasa is the only formulation designed for small intestine disease, so if that's where yours is, you're out of luck!

I only WISH I could pay $50 a month for Pentasa

I have had Crohn's for 44 years. I have been on Pentasa for approximately 10 years. It works better than anything else I have been on. Started with 16 250mcg caps per day, then to 8 500mcg. Easier taking schedule. About 3 or 4 years ago I complained to my gastro doc about the price. Because I was doing so well for such a long period of time, he cut my dosage in half. I started paying a tad over $100 a month, that then jumped higher. I have federal health insurance, but my share currently is $426 for a 90-day supply ($142/mo). I'm tired of this. But just think of what it would cost me if I was still on the doubled dose. The drug companies should be ashamed of themselves!

I just went to a new doctor after being on Pentasa for 3 years now. My last doctor had me on 9 Pentasa tabs a day of 500mg. My current doc said that this was over the maximum dosage, the max dose being 8 tabs a day of 500mg. He had me get some blood tests to see if there was any kind of toxicity in my liver or kidneys just in case.

I didn't realize that this medication was close to Aspirin or was a derivative of such.

My question is, has anyone had any kinds of problems with this medication? It works for me very well but now got very very slightly upset about what I was told.

I called Prasco and they stated that they don't have a release date yet on the generic.

As Released on PRNewswire 10:00 am EST

Prasco Announces Agreement with Shire for Future Exclusive Distribution and Supply of Authorized Generic for PENTASA®

Prasco prepared to launch an Authorized Generic for PENTASA® if PENTASA® becomes genericized.

CINCINNATI, OHIO; February 22, 2011 — Prasco Laboratories announced today it has signed a distribution and supply agreement with Shire US Manufacturing, Inc. for mesalamine controlled-release capsules. As part of the agreement, Prasco, LLC is prepared to market the authorized generic version of PENTASA® (mesalamine) Controlled-Release Capsules, at Shire’s request, immediately upon any entrance into the United States market of an approved ANDA for any generic mesalamine product which is AB-rated to PENTASA®. (At the present time, the FDA has not approved any ANDA for PENTASA®.) The authorized generic will be marketed in the United States in 250 mg and 500 mg strengths under the Prasco label.

“We are excited to have established this new business relationship with Shire,” stated Prasco Chief Executive Officer, E. Thomas Arington. “Patients and pharmacists alike benefit when a company such as Shire commits to maintaining the supply of brand-identical medication through the Prasco Authorized Generic business model.” Arington concluded.

PENTASA® is a registered trademark of Ferring A/S Corp.

About Prasco
Prasco is a privately-held pharmaceutical company located in Cincinnati, OH which specializes in Authorized Generics. Prasco Authorized Generics provide brand pharmaceutical companies with a strategic lifecycle management solution. Prasco sells its product line through the major distribution channels, and operates from a cGMP compliant VAWD certified 160,000 sq. ft. office and distribution center including DEA-approved capabilities for Schedule II-V controlled drug products.

###

Kimberly A. Carroll
Advisor to the Chairman,
Corporate Marketing
k.carroll@prasco.com
513.550.1473 C

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I called Prasco and they stated that they don't have a release date yet on the generic.

As Released on PRNewswire 10:00 am EST

Prasco Announces Agreement with Shire for Future Exclusive Distribution and Supply of Authorized Generic for PENTASA®

Prasco prepared to launch an Authorized Generic for PENTASA® if PENTASA® becomes genericized.

CINCINNATI, OHIO; February 22, 2011 — Prasco Laboratories announced today it has signed a distribution and supply agreement with Shire US Manufacturing, Inc. for mesalamine controlled-release capsules. As part of the agreement, Prasco, LLC is prepared to market the authorized generic version of PENTASA® (mesalamine) Controlled-Release Capsules, at Shire’s request, immediately upon any entrance into the United States market of an approved ANDA for any generic mesalamine product which is AB-rated to PENTASA®. (At the present time, the FDA has not approved any ANDA for PENTASA®.) The authorized generic will be marketed in the United States in 250 mg and 500 mg strengths under the Prasco label.

“We are excited to have established this new business relationship with Shire,” stated Prasco Chief Executive Officer, E. Thomas Arington. “Patients and pharmacists alike benefit when a company such as Shire commits to maintaining the supply of brand-identical medication through the Prasco Authorized Generic business model.” Arington concluded.

PENTASA® is a registered trademark of Ferring A/S Corp.

About Prasco
Prasco is a privately-held pharmaceutical company located in Cincinnati, OH which specializes in Authorized Generics. Prasco Authorized Generics provide brand pharmaceutical companies with a strategic lifecycle management solution. Prasco sells its product line through the major distribution channels, and operates from a cGMP compliant VAWD certified 160,000 sq. ft. office and distribution center including DEA-approved capabilities for Schedule II-V controlled drug products.

###

Kimberly A. Carroll
Advisor to the Chairman,
Corporate Marketing
k.carroll@prasco.com
513.550.1473 C
Thanks for the info! Any idea if it's out yet or when it'll be released to be sold? This would be wonderful for those of us who regularily use Pentasa!

hiya.i remember the last time i took pentasa before it started giving me pancreatitis in 2006. i had to get help paying for it. i think it was a montel williams program. some pharma companies will help you too. ive always wondered why they give asprin based meds? asprin also gave me pancreatitis. hope this helps some.:hug:

My doctor took me off Pentasa and I have several large bottles of Pentasa that I must throw out.

It kills me that they can't go to some needy person. There must be some loophole in the law that would allow a Dr. Or legitimate authority to re-prescribe it. What a terrible waste.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
My doctor took me off Pentasa and I have several large bottles of Pentasa that I must throw out.

It kills me that they can't go to some needy person. There must be some loophole in the law that would allow a Dr. Or legitimate authority to re-prescribe it. What a terrible waste.
I agree. Especially since these aren't inexpensive meds. But, what can you do? Btw. Welcome to the forum Dave!!! :welcome: Glad to see you around!!!

I was looking for generic Mesalamine (Pentasa) too. I never looked before but my Pentata is over $1,000 a month. Co-Pay went from 20 to 35 with new insurance, but to recycle $1k a month in pills is horrifing to me. I feel like an insurance burden, plus if I lost job/insurance I would never pay for that. Asking doctor if I can switch to the cheaper caplets or if I'm stuck with Pentasa because of their monoplized (I mean liscensed) formulation and release method.

America needs a national health service it's not right that a sick person has to worry about paying for meds!you are the wealthiest nation in the world

Our son's Pentasa costs $200 a month until we meet his deductable ($2500) and then it will cost $50 a month.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Husband and I happened to search for generic pentasa and happened to find some. It's called: mesalamine 1.2gm tablets. I emailed my doctor and he sent a prescription to my pharmacy. I got 60 pills for $19.75 (1 month) instead of 360 for $300.00 (3 months worth). It's not only cheaper, but I'm taking 2 pills a day rather than 4. Here's a link for you.

https://www.theharvarddruggroup.com/shop/item/get-details/pkid/816567