• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Genetic issues

Hi,

Will there be any genetic problems for Crohn's patients. I am diagonaized for Crohns almost two years back and bit worried about my kids geting affected.

Regards,
Nagaraj AV

Nagarajav,

I have read that only a very small percentage of children get Crohns if one parent has it, and it may increase the chances if both parents have IBD.

My uneducated opinion (I am a mother who did a lot of research on line and talked to a few doctors) is just do your best to keep your children healthy as all of us mothers try to do.

One theory is that a bad bacteria can take over a digestive system and wreak havoc in a person with IBD. It seems probiotics can help with that too. Do some research on them (probioitics) and see what is the best way to use them and which ones combined, keep the flora in the digestive system balanced. Even good bacteria can cause some problems if there are too many of one kind. Currently we are using Acidophillus, and it is helping to keep her symptoms at bay. However, she had to take 8 months of Remicade to get to this point and also uses cortifoam. I still believe the probiotics can play an important role in maintaining remission and possibly preventing IBD symptoms.

I wish you and your children the very best:ghug:

Last edited:

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
My wife and I both have IDB and we have 3 kids. The youngest is now 30 years old and NONE of them have gotten IDB. The oldest is now 37. I pray that they don't get it. My wife has colitis and she has had her colon removed and is now cured, yes, cured. If a person with colitis has there colon removed and they get a ilyostmy they are cured, she has been great ever since. On the other hand I have crohns and there is no cure.

Hope this helps you.
Jim (Pops)

According to WebMD, your chance of getting Crohn's is 30 x greater if you have a sibling with Crohn's. It didn't mention parents, though. Neither of us have Crohn's, but 2 of our kids do.

My family has a huge history of Crohns. So it's pretty clear that genetics has SOMETHING to do with it for me. I was just diagnosed, my dad has it, my grandmother (his mother) has it, 2 of his 3 sisters have it and 1 of their sons also has it.

And I will be shocked if my sister doesn't get diagnosed with it soon.

Ya.. very true... i understand...

Actually my parents are pushing for marriage... but im not sure......

i dont want my kids go thru what im facing.