• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Getting a MediPort & kind of freaked out, any help?

I am getting a Mediport put in on Tuesday, 2/5. I've seen them before on patients in the infusion lab, usually for chemotherapy. Has anyone had one before?

All I know is that I have to have a driver, so I guess I'm going to be put under or in a twilight (which is the same thing for me, basically). Is it going to hurt a lot? I've been told that I won't be able to raise my arm for a few days, will I be able to feel it when it's in? What about when the nurse accesses it? I think I'm most concerned about the feeling when it's being accessed, do they use a regular needle or is it a special one?

I am so worried that the first time someone tries to access it, I'm going to have an anxiety attack an pass out. :eek2:

I just want to be able to get my Remicade!!!

Hey Sarah! I think I covered most of your questions in the other post. Definitely get some Emla cream (lidocaine) out it on 30-45 minutes before your appointment and you won't feel a thing. I access my own. I can tell you that the first time I did it. I was super anxious. But I sucked it up and did it and had to laugh at myself because it was so easy and I made a huge deal of it. As for the needle it is a special one called a gripper. Grippers are made differently so it depends on where you're getting it done it. Anymore questions let me know.

Jenna

Thanks for the responses, everyone. Does anyone have any idea how long I have to wait after I have the port put in before it can be accessed?

I am supposed to be starting back on Remicade and I already have the meds here. I realize I won't feel like getting an infusion the day after I have the port put in, but is there a recovery period? Will I be sore for a while, days or weeks?

I know remicade is supposed to suppress your immune system, but I feel like I have been sicker since I've been off of it. 2 stomach viruses and pneumonia! I'm also starting to have some pains and worsening diarrhea. I don't want to stress my body out by having a procedure and then getting an infusion right away but I feel like if I don't get back on my meds soon I'm going to start flaring.

I also need to call the home health agency to reschedule the infusion, would like to do it as soon as I am able.

Thanks for all of the info and help!

I had mine accessed within a few days. Ill admit didn't feel that pleasant. It was pretty tender for awhile. If you can handle a bit of discomfort you can access it within a few days.

In my case the mediport didn't hurt at all to access it and to me it just felt a little heavy until I got used to it.I was put under twilight and didn't remember a thing.

I had my medi-port put in 2 months ago. The day after it was put in they told me it was ready to ). 3 Weeks after my port was put in I had my Remicade treatment, I was very apprehensive but it went so smooth. A few days after Remicade I ended up in the hospital with pneumonia and the flu - the entire time I was in the hospital they used my port which was great. I can't say that I like my port but very glad I have it.