• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Getting annoyed with Nausea

I`m getting so fed up with my disease that its become apparent. Now, I honestly put up with a lot. I didn't go to the graduation ceremony at my high school since they didn't accommodate well enough, I didn't mind then. I didn't mind being at a hospital for days.

I can't stand the nausea. It comes out of left field and I tried taking anti nausea drugs but its not working. It's not coming from my stomach, really, so it's not very helpful. I get nausea from the bathroom visits only. I am NOT in pain, or at least, not enough to warrant nausea.

Is this a UC thing? I tried finding things out to stop it, but most of the answers come from those with Crohn`s. (One suggested its a sign of strictures. At this point, I wonder if I do have CD.)

What do you mean by it not coming from your stomach? I know there were times when, right before I'd have diarrhoea, I'd get a hot feeling low in my abdomen - does that sound like what you're experiencing? If so, anything that eases the diarrhoea may help, e.g. anti-diarrhoea meds (loperamide, Lomotil, codeine) or a diet of soft, bland, low fibre food.

I think strictures can occur with UC. But nausea has many causes.

What anti-nausea meds have you tried? What other symptoms are you having?

What do you mean by it not coming from your stomach? I know there were times when, right before I'd have diarrhoea, I'd get a hot feeling low in my abdomen - does that sound like what you're experiencing? If so, anything that eases the diarrhoea may help, e.g. anti-diarrhoea meds (loperamide, Lomotil, codeine) or a diet of soft, bland, low fibre food.

I think strictures can occur with UC. But nausea has many causes.

What anti-nausea meds have you tried? What other symptoms are you having?
I mean, it feels like the stem of the problem doesn't lie in my stomach. Like, it happens when I go to the bathroom only and it dies down after I finish going to the bathroom. My stomach holds fine when I eat. It's not like its horrible every moment of the day.

It's more of a waving pain, nothing burning. The nausea is intense when it comes. It gets worse when I eat then go to the bathroom.

I wasn't aware that strictures occurred in UC.

I had taken strong anti nausea pills like zofran. I used to take other kinds, but my colitis didn't take it well.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Hmm. Have you told your doctor about this yet? I'm thinking this might be a good one for them. Only thing I can think of is maybe when you go, it's taking so much out of you that it's causing the nausea. How often are you going? If you're constantly on the toilet, that could drain you as well.

But, I would make sure to check with your doctor about this problem though. Please keep us updated on how you're doing.

Only thing that I can think of here is that it is related to flow of your bowels. Things may be backing up a little, making you feel nauseous just before you go. As you strain pushing out waste, it would force some back up your bowels making you really sick, and as you empty the feeling passes. Do you pass normal stools or diarrhea? If normal, do they appear ribbon shaped? Have you ever been examined for strictures?

For myself, I have had nausea and vomiting in the past related to lack of flow in my bowels as a result of strictures. This is one possibility for you to consider. I don't recall taking anti nausea meds at the time. I can't really see oral meds working if this is the case as they would probably be prevented from reaching their absorption sites.

Ever tried Ginger for nausea?
Tried it, but didn't work.

I did tell the doctor multiple times. He thinks they are "unexplained" to some degree. I don't got frequently, but again, never enough to cause the nausea.

I haven't been checked for strictures though.