• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Getting Remicade in Quebec how it works

Good afternoon, everybody.

Yesterday I got a call from the specialized nurse that will be guiding me on my process of getting Remicade. I thought maybe some people who will be going through the process would like to know how it works in Montreal Quebec Canada.

The call started off with my nurse explaining the steps we need to do in order for me to get the medicine.

Step one getting approval from my insurance company for the 4000$ per dose that I will need. Some good news for me. In Quebec you cannot pay more than 963$ per year before all prescription medicine becomes free. And I have 2 insurance for prescriptions. My wife’s and my own. So my first company pays 3100 and the other pays 80% of the remaining 900$ after my first dose I pay nothing for my prescriptions until the end of the year. Not to bad all in all. It should cost me about 200$ only for my 9 or so doses I would use if all goes well.

For normal people who only have 1 insurance they have to pay the first 963$ then it’s free. However they have a finance plan that you can apply for if you make less than 80K per year as a family. This is pretty good. They help you pay for that big chunk.

Step two getting my letters of approval from the insurance company to the nurse

Step three getting my appointment.

All this should be done within 2 weeks or so. It’s pretty fast.

They have a specialized clinic in Laval near where I live fitted for Remicade patience. Another good thing. Seems they are treating more than 510 patients right now.

My nurse asked me all about my weight my medication all of my background. She also make she arrangement to order the medicine and get it to the clinic for my appointment.

So all this to say that I am going to get my Remicade early April Still nervous but can’t wait to start and see if I can get my diherea under control.