• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Getting second surgery "how many more?"

I'm going to have my second small bowel resection next week and was wondering how many should I expect? I have a stricture in my small bowel right in the same place where I had my last resection in 2007. At that time it was an emergency situation. My wife was taking our kids out trick or treating and I was home with terrible stomach pains, vomiting and blood in my stools until I finally told my wife it was time to go to the hospital. I was diagnosed in 2001 and until then had no real problems. Of course I had the stomach pain, diarrhea and vomiting from time to time, but never the pain I felt that night. They operated on me the next morning and I woke up to 27 staples in my stomach and 18" of small intestine gone. This time it's different, I've been having a lot of pain and a bit of blood in my stool, so they did a colonoscopy and found that I have some more inflammation and a stricture. They wanted to see how much of my small intestine was inflamed so I swallowed one of those pill cams and that has gotten stuck, so they told me I will need another resection to remove the stricture and the camera.

I was just wondering if anyone has had more then one surgery and how the second one went. The last time I had surgery I really didn't have time to think about it, but this time I do and I'm not looking forward to it or the stay in the hospital (I hate hospitals)

Hi i know the feeling but can't answer your questions sorry i can't be more helpful. I'm having my second one in may had confirmation 2 weeks ago tho its not a resection. My last one was an emergency too but this one is planned. Safe to say I'm crapping myself about everything all I have are bad memories from my last one and hope this one wont be the same... Good luck and hope it all goes well let me know how you get on.

nogutsnoglory

Impossible to know the severity and progression of your disease. Some have mild disease and never need meds or surgery and others have dozens of surgeries.

The average crohnie has 2 surgeries in their lifetime. Hopefully you are part of that club.

I'm sorry to hear you are in the same boat I am in....... I had a resection in 2000, and now have two strictures - one at the spot of my original surgery (same as yours) and now a second in my sigmoid. I am terrified! I can't get my emotions in check. I did fine in my original surgery, although that was an emergency situation. This time they found my strictures during a colonoscopy. It's scary not knowing what the outcome of this second round might be. I have been told there is a 10% chance of an ostomy..... Could I be lucky enough to get through two surgeries without one? That and I thought I had a date, and now they have changed it as they need an urologist present to place stints in my utterers so they can avoid damage to those. It feels this saga never ends. To add to the craziness I am also getting kicked out of the Vedolizumab study I have been a part of for two years. Now the only medication available to me is Tysabri........and it can lead to PML!

I'm so done with this whole thing. I just want it to be over. I'll keep you in my thoughts. I hope your outcome is great!

afidz

Super Moderator
I am sorry you are going through so much, and I hope this surgery goes well. Like nogutsnoglory said, its hard to tell what can happen, we are all so different. Hopefully you won't be in the hospital too long and you can get on a solid path of recovery.
Sorry I can't give more advice, I have never had a resection so I can't really give advice on that, but I am sure there will be more people around that have experience with it.
Good luck with everything!

Wow! I am scheduled to have the pill camera test next week, but my doctor just left me a message that he wants to cancel it for fear that it will get stuck. I just had emergency bowel resection three months ago after my small bowel was punctured during a colonoscopy. My doctor initially said he wanted to get a good picture of my entire small bowel while I was at my most healthy and pain fee. I thought he was being super paranoid wanting to cancel the test, but I really don't want a second surgery.

I am sorry that this has happened to you, but I think planned surgery has got to be easier on your body than emergency. You are healthier and stronger than you were then...yes. I hope your surgery goes well and that your recovery is easy. Please keep us posted.
-Lisa

afidz

Super Moderator
LisaL, it is kinda funny that you posted this. I was JUST discussing this topic with my boyfriend. I had the exact same thing happen to me during a scope in 2008. He was saying how its rare for that to happen. I argued with him saying its not rare, it actually happens quite a bit you just don't hear about it, and I find people on the forum all the time with similar stories to mine. And he still disagreed with me. Then, I log into here, and the first post I read is yours, talking about your bowel perforation during a scope. What are the chances of proving I'm right that easily? lol

I'm sorry you are having to go through another surgery as well. I know what you are talking about when you say you are crapping your pants about the second surgery. I feel like I'm waiting for a bomp to go off, I can only remember from the first surgery how terrible the pain was. The first time I felt my stomach with the 27 staples running the full length of my gut. The pain of coughing or trying to sit up was horible. Good luck and keep my posted on how it went.

Hi i know the feeling but can't answer your questions sorry i can't be more helpful. I'm having my second one in may had confirmation 2 weeks ago tho its not a resection. My last one was an emergency too but this one is planned. Safe to say I'm crapping myself about everything all I have are bad memories from my last one and hope this one wont be the same... Good luck and hope it all goes well let me know how you get on.

Hang in there hopefully when you get your second surgery it will make verything better. I feel the same as you do, this time I have time to think about the surgery and it is driving my nuts. All I can think about is the pain and discomfort after the surgery, plus I'm not looking forward to staying in the hospital for up to 7 days. You never know what type of staff you are going to get. Some treat you with respect but most treat you like a piece of meat. I will keep you posted on how my surgery went this time. Keep the faith :)

I'm sorry to hear you are in the same boat I am in....... I had a resection in 2000, and now have two strictures - one at the spot of my original surgery (same as yours) and now a second in my sigmoid. I am terrified! I can't get my emotions in check. I did fine in my original surgery, although that was an emergency situation. This time they found my strictures during a colonoscopy. It's scary not knowing what the outcome of this second round might be. I have been told there is a 10% chance of an ostomy..... Could I be lucky enough to get through two surgeries without one? That and I thought I had a date, and now they have changed it as they need an urologist present to place stints in my utterers so they can avoid damage to those. It feels this saga never ends. To add to the craziness I am also getting kicked out of the Vedolizumab study I have been a part of for two years. Now the only medication available to me is Tysabri........and it can lead to PML!

I'm so done with this whole thing. I just want it to be over. I'll keep you in my thoughts. I hope your outcome is great!

I know that feeling only to well I've known for two months I need more surgery and its driving me insane I have the same fears as you and much more. Hope it goes well keep us posted.

My doctor told me the same thing about the pill cam maybe getting stuck, but
with as much pain I was having we didn't know what else to do. He said that I probably needed surgery anyways and the camera would give them a better idea on how much of my small bowel was affected. No really looking forward to it but you are right I'm in much better shape to handle the surgery this time vs last time when it was an emergency. Thanks for your thought and I will keep you posted on how the surgery goes.

Wow! I am scheduled to have the pill camera test next week, but my doctor just left me a message that he wants to cancel it for fear that it will get stuck. I just had emergency bowel resection three months ago after my small bowel was punctured during a colonoscopy. My doctor initially said he wanted to get a good picture of my entire small bowel while I was at my most healthy and pain fee. I thought he was being super paranoid wanting to cancel the test, but I really don't want a second surgery.

I am sorry that this has happened to you, but I think planned surgery has got to be easier on your body than emergency. You are healthier and stronger than you were then...yes. I hope your surgery goes well and that your recovery is easy. Please keep us posted.
-Lisa