• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Getting Shingles from someone else

I just had my entyvio infusion and was wondering if I could get shingles from being around someone who has it? I've had chicken pox,but was wondering with being on immune suppressant it would make a difference

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
If you have not had chicken pox and have not been vaccinated, and you come in contact with the liquid from the blisters, it may cause you to get chicken pox.

Singles itself is not contagious.

Just went through this with my husband and neither our daughter or I had any issues.

nogutsnoglory

"A person with active shingles can spread the virus when the rash is in the blister-phase. A person is not infectious before the blisters appear. Once the rash has developed crusts, the person is no longer contagious.

Shingles is less contagious than chickenpox and the risk of a person with shingles spreading the virus is low if the rash is covered."
http://www.cdc.gov/shingles/about/transmission.html