• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

GI mentioned @#&# IBS

Went and saw the GI on Thurs due to abdominal pain not getting any better on the hyoscyamine he prescribed on Dec 30th. He said since the Pentasa and budesonide do not seem to be helping my early stage Crohn's he thinks my IBS might be acting up! :stinks: I hoped and thought I would never hear those words again since my Crohn's diagnosis! He sent me for a CT Enterography Friday and I should have results by Tues or Weds. He wants to compare this with my first CT. He also prescribes oxycodone for the severe pain. So thankful for the meds!

My issue with the IBS being mentioned is he does not treat it! No matter what the results I hope I get treatment! Thanks for listening!

I also would like to know if anyone else has Crohn's and IBS, thanks!

We all have potty pouts, no worry! lol! Focus on getting yourself better! Reduce stress, eat the best you can (pure foods, not additives, same for drinks) and during bad times go on liquid diet (chicken broth, if need be), to give your belly a break. It is a pain in the butt (literally), but remember YOU are in control. Figure out what you did prior to the attack and perhaps you will see a pattern. Good luck!

Trysha

Staff member
Hi Carolhew
Sorry to hear of your problems.
I have IBS and have had it for many years prior to the Crohns being diagnosed three years ago.
Some current research appears to suggest a possible link between IBS and inflammatory bowel diseases.
This does not help us sufferers though.
It is good that your GI ordered the CT investigations though so he is being diligent in looking for answers.
I can resonate with your concerns though.
Best wishes and lots of hugs
Trysha

Trysha,

I was diagnosed with IBS about 20yrs ago and just recently diagnosed with Crohn's in June. I did not know about the possible link between the two, I will have to look into that! Thank you!

Also the pain I experienced in the past with IBS is nothing compare to the pain I now experience.

Trysha

Staff member
Carolhew,
I hear you and also find the Crohns pain unremitting.
The IBS used to respond to Dicyclomine but the pain I now have does not respond to it.
The GI says its because it is Crohn's.
Shortly, I have to have another colonoscopy because of current symptoms---O Joy!!
Hope you soon feel better
Trysha

Loperamide use to help me, now I can eat them like pez candies. Sorry to hear you are having a colonoscopy soon! Hopefully your GI will find what is causing your pain! Hope you feel well soon too!

My GI has mentioned IBS when I feel unwell due to stress. Which I find a bit strange because don't they say crohn's can flare due to stress? I think it could have been because my inflammation was low. I guess it is possible to have both. But like you, he didn't offer any help with it! Hope you feel better soon!

I don't think enough is known yet about IBS or IBD to say you can have both together.

My personal view is that there is not enough knowledge about IBD, they are just working with the information we have today. A cause cannot even be ruled in 100% so why can they say for sure that you can have IBS as well? It may be that this unknown cause means that you can get symptoms from the IBD even while having no active inflammation etc.

Little Miss Valentine and StarGirrrrl, I think you are both on to something! Both IBS and Crohn's do have some of the same symptoms and they (medical professionals) just don't have all the answers! IBS has just become a dirty phrase in my vocabulary!

Trysha

Staff member
I don't think enough is known yet about IBS or IBD to say you can have both together.

You have an interesting point.
Sadly nothing is a hundred per cent in medicine.
Hopefully, current research may eventually shed some light.
Trysha

I've had GI Residents as well as GI doc's both tell me tht there is a segment of the IBD population who also suffer from IBS (I can't remember the exact percentage, but, 30% is sticking in my head). I do know that even when I am in remission, things are a bit "off" depending on what I've eaten.