• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Give me your constipation relievers, and I will try them.

My biggest, and honestly my only symptom since my crohns diagnoses is constipation and bloating. I hate this feeling more than anything. I just feel sluggish all the time. I'm ready to try just about anything to get over it.

What do you guys/gals use? I'm getting pretty desperate over here.

For me coffee just goes straight through me.
Anything fatty or high in saturated fats.
Hot bath and massage my tummy.
I have a stoma now though.
Before I drank water all the time and had ice lollies. For some reason some of the ice lollies would not agree with me.
So really sorry you are suffering. Hope you find something that works soon Xxxxxxxxxx

Trysha

Staff member
Hi NewGuy
You could try pegol, my GI suggested that to me.
I find increasing soluble fibre helps and this can be found in oatbran for breakfast.
Other examples psyllium husks, metamucil, (psyllium ) inulin fibre(artichokes) can be found in the drug store or health food store.
Hot tea, hot water will work for some.
The GI prefers soluble fibre to laxative use and with good reason since laxatives can seriously aggravate the crohns.
Pegol is a very low dose of the same product that is given for pre colonoscopy bowel preps(Which is also known as Kleen Prep and other proprietory names., it is polyethylene glycol).
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha

Hi, my stomach will always go between constipation and diarrhea.. I suggest not using laxatives.. try natural remedies.. I like using kiwi crush.. its basically kiwi fruit mashed up.. works like a bomb! :)

I just did the Miralax/Gatorade 6 Dulcolax . Oh my it like to kill me. I am still on the sofa recovering. I think it dehydrated me!

I take AT LEAST 3 doses of miralax a day & when that doesn't work I do fleet enemas, Dulcolax stool softeners & Dulcolox suppositories etc.

It's all about finding a balance. Either I'm severely constipated or having horriable Diarrhea :ybatty:

Constipation is not my gig, so can't testify about these ideas from personal experience.

But I know of family members that have found relief from the condition by taking magnesium oxide tablets. They take 200mgs in the morning and 200mgs in the evening.

Recall this article with some other helpful tips.

"Quit your pushing"

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2011/11/quit-your-pushing/

excerpt:

...Here are some ways to regulate regularity:

1) Add more raw nuts and seeds, more nut meals, including the recipes in the Wheat Belly book and here in this blog. It means that even treats like chocolate almond biscotti are rich in fiber.
2) More non-wheat fibers low in carbohydrates, especially flaxseed and chia. These are easy to sprinkle on foods, mix in with your wheat-free baked dishes, mix in with wheat-free granola. They do not have any effect on blood sugar.
3) A magnesium supplement–Magnesium provides an osmotic effect that increases stool moisture content. This is why many laxatives contain magnesium, like Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide). The majority of people are deficient in magnesium anyway, since modern water purification removes virtually all magnesium. The form of magnesium to choose depends on what you are trying to achieve. Strictly for purposes of regularity, magnesium citrate, 400 mg twice per day, will provide a modest boost. Those of you desiring better absorption of magnesium and less bowel softening, look for magnesium malate, 1200 mg twice per day.
4) A probiotic to help your poor wheat-damaged intestine to recover. While we need more data on these effects, wheat consumption changes the bacterial composition of your intestinal tract. Taking a probiotic for a few weeks can provide organisms like lactobacillus and bifidobacterium that help regain normal bacterial populations.
5) Hydrate–A helpful habit is to drink two 8 ounce glasses of water immediately upon awakening when you are substantially dehydrated. Do the same several more times per day and be sure that, whenever you urinate, urine is only lightly yellow, almost clear, never dark and concentrated.

So going wheat-free does not mean a lifetime of pushing and straining, then calling your surgeon to clip the hemorrhoids. For some, it can even mean reversal of incapacitating constipation to new-found regularity. It means intestinal health that is improved because it now avoids the most destructive of diet ingredients, wheat.

If you want something more natural try chia seeds. Good source of protein, fiber, and omega 3's. I used to be very constipated and developed hemorrhoids then started taking chia seeds and haven't had issues. They are very easy to take, if you have a water bottle just put a scoop in your bottle and shake up let it stay for at least 15mins and drink up. Very simple, has no taste, and also pretty nutritious as well! Just google for more info.

Ok, I was a Constipated Crohnnie before my Remicade, So here are my solutions to keep things moving along

1) Stool Softeners Daily

2) A Licorice based Chinese Herbal Supplement called San Huang Wan compsed of Huang Lian, Da Huang, Huang qin - this was a god send worked more gently than Miralx, or laxatives as they caused a lot so cramping and pain and this did not. I took 4 tablets every day, 2 in the am, 2 in the pm. My SIL got it at a chinese herbal store.

3) Drank as much water as I could stand. Inflammation uses alot of water, so your body pulls it out of your stool, so I drank alot to try and keep the bowel having enough fluid.

4) Mineral Oil - will help, but made me a little crampy

5) Enema - had to give myself a couple of these to get things moving.

I had to be careful of fiber as I had some narrowing and had suffered from repetitive partial bowel obstructions. I found not eating large meals helped - keep meals about the same size and just eat more times so that a big "lump" didn't end up trying to move through the bowel.

Hope that helps!!

Before going on Pentasa, I was always constipated. Drinking fresh lemon water helped me be regular. If you have a juicer, throw a whole lemon in it and mix it with some water. Lemon+hydration=awesome poo (for me, at least).

ducolax, metamucil, hot tea, coffee, watemelon, blue berries,

My daughter has a milk/lactose intolerance and get severely constipated from it, instead of the usual diahreea. So we push a lot of fruits like melons and they help. Esp water melon, it softens her right up. I dont like to give her laxatives we do natural as much as we can. Also lots and lots of fluids. She swears Warm apple juice helps her......she is only 7 but when she feels bloated she always wants warm apple juice she swears it always helps. Who knows, might be something to it!

I've heard that maple syrup works, because my teacher was telling us how on previous trips to Quebec, they would visit a sugar shack and get to see how maple syrup is made, then they would all get to have a feast with all the maple syrup they could ever eat! Well,the boys thought it was hilarious to chug the stuff and they always ended up waiting in line for the bathroom! It's also natural to and tasty( for some)!

I use cayenne pepper capsules, or crushed red peppers on food.
You would think this would be a bad idea, but it has never given me a problem.

It works pretty fast.

Dan

refried beans, oatmeal, whole wheat, lots of cooked broccoli and cauliflower.

no rice, potatoes, or corn.

things should move along in a few days.

insoluble fiber generally speeds up transit time, for most anyways.

wow! so many valuable opinions and options. Thank you!

I've been avoiding meat for the past few days, and I feel a little bit better. Still a little bloated. I finally picked up some miralx, and I'm excited to try it tomorrow.

From my understanding it is relatively side effect free? meaning daily use doesn't make your body rely on it... which is obviously awesome.

A lot of these natural suggestions sound very interesting too. At the very least, I have a bunch of things I can try over the course of the next few months and figure out what is best for me.

i get constipated sometimes and some d also. I used to take metamucil for a fissure but it bulked stool too much. I stopped and now take flax meal. I've been on it for about 10 days and my stool so far are regular size. My eye dr. is the one who suggested it for dry eyes. I couldn't take it right away as i was flaring. I don't know if thats what's helping me go daily without pushing(fissure). Its also good for inflammation.

If your bloating is caused from gas I have to suggest avoiding gas producing foods even though it might help give you the feeling of having to go. I have always tended to lean towards constipation despite most Crohns people saying they have diarrhea. I have been using Benefiber for the past couple of years or so and this has helped tremendously. I have used Metamucil in the past, however, my gi dr said this could be too harsh for me. The only problem now is that Benefiber has been disappearing from the shelves due to some recall on other Novartis products so nothing new has been showing up on the shelves. Keep an eye out for it though. Some stores may still have some in stock. Other than that I can only suggest some form of fiber supplement if you can't find that and increasing your liquid intake. Miralax as a temporary laxative as well. Yet, I suggest a more natural routine (such as the fiber) because that is not a permanent solution. Oh, and some people swear my lemon juice in their water first thing in the morning. Good luck.

my GP has me take 1-2 teaspoons of epsom salts dissolved in water every day.. totally no addictive for your bowel and WORKS! lol good idea to add some cordial concentrate to the water too ..

thanks for the comments. At least I know I'm not alone. I am still trying to figure out though if it's related to the Crohns or not. Sounds like it may or may not be. Finally took a Pepcid Complete last night (or I should say a generic of it as I have called several pharmacies since my dr suggested it and can't find it anywhere...apparently some issue with Johnson & Johnson). It seemed to help. Taking the pharmacists suggestion on taking it in the morning before acid builds up. Will see how today goes!