• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Glandular Fever / Kissing Disease / Infectious Mononucleosis

Just wondering if anyone has heard of a link between Crohn's / UC and Glandular Fever (also known as the Kissing Disease or Infectious Mononucleosis)? I heard a rumour about this a while ago and would be interested to know how many people on this forum have had this?

I had Glandular Fever when I was 20 years of age. I was diagnosed with Crohn's about 10 years later but I believe I was probably suffering from the disease for years before hand without realising it (you know the drill it slowly gets worse and worse and you think that's normal).

Just curious:)

Last edited by a moderator:
A few years ago, my GP told me that based on a blood test I had had glandular fever some time in the past couple of years. Just guessing, I would say that's around the time my symptoms started. However, I haven't seen anything relating the two.

Maybe it's just that most people have it some time in their lives?

Hi Melliejay.

I had Glandular Fever when I was 19 and was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis when I was 31. I've had UC now for 12 years. Did you find anything else about this possible connection?

All the best,

Kev.

I was diagnosed with both Epstein Barr Syndroms (Mono) and the Cytomegela Virus when I had a major flare 9 years ago. It knocked me on my behind! On the other hand, I heard that (something like) 75% of people have the Epstein Barr virus in their system.

Interesting - A few months after having mono I started having mild GI problems (mild IBS and funtional dyspepsia) along with recurring bouts of fatigue/sore throat. A lot of other things were happening at that time in my life, so it's hard to say what's the cause....

I had bad glandular fever when I was 16. My spleen was enlarged, my liver function went to pot and I was jaundiced as a result. I don't think my immune system ever fully recovered from the glandular fever. I've had IBD like symptoms for 6 months now but still undiagnosed.

My 17 year old daughter was diagnosed with UC at age 12. She is seen by CHOP (Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia). In the beginning we had her see a holistic doctor too. Blood work was done & we were told she had mono at some point (I guess they can see a marker - I’m not a doctor). She was very sick the winter before for 2 months & no one tested her for mono, we were told it was just a virus her body was fighting. Maybe it was mono. Years passed with various medications. She is still a patient at CHOP & is on Remicade. Last year she dated a boy (1st boyfriend) & at the same time, she started Remicade-he got mono, she was fine. Did she give him mono? Recently, I made a scheduling error & instead of the normal 6 week interval, she got Remicade at 4 weeks - then she was diagnosed with mono. Is there a correlation with mono & UC & does Remicade act as trigger?

my little penguin

Staff member
We have a parents group -
Here

Mono Spot is a blood test
Aka Epstein-Barr virus (EBV)
It can tell you if you ever had mono
Remicade does not cause mono