• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Gluten Free Chocolate Cake - Has Sugar!

Judith

Crohnsforum Science Advisor
Here is a super great recipe for a Gluten Free Chocolate Cake. This is basically the same recipe as the Gluten Free Vanilla Cake except Cocoa Powder is added to the mix.

I have tried so many gluten free cake recipes and most of them went directly in the trash. My husband and I agree that this cake tastes better than regular cake with gluten containing flour. This is a naughty cake though as it has sugar.

Super Yum Gluten Free Chocolate Cake

- 1.5 cups white Rice Flour (Superfine Grind)
[NOTE*- I feel like too much rice flour makes the cake too dense. So lately I have been using:
-- 3/4 cup white Rice Flour PLUS 3/4 cup millet flour (I know, its birdseed)

OR

-- 3/4 cup white Rice Flour PLUS 3/4 cup almond meal flour

OR

-- 1/2 cup white rice flour PLUS 1/2 cup millet flour PLUS 1/2 cup Potato Buds]

- 3/4 cup Tapioca Flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 4 Eggs
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup fat free mayonaise (yes, mayonaise. I am sure you can use full fat mayo but I have only tried the fat free)
- 1 cup coconut milk OR 1 cup water plus 4 TBSP powdered buttermilk OR 1 cup almond milk OR 1 cup whatever your milk/"milk" choice is. (See Note* Below)
- 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup (to taste) Hershey's Cocoa, Special Dark (I notice a difference between regular cocoa and the Special Dark version. Special Dark is better)
- 2.5 TBSP vanilla (real vanilla. I buy mine at Costco. Dont use the fake vanilla/imitation vanilla, it is gross)
- Optional - 1/2 tsp almond flavoring

- Optional - If you are a serious choc-o-holic (like my husband), throw about 1/2 of a pack of Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Chips in the batter.

Bake at 350 degrees F in a preheated oven for 25 minutes. Cake mix should be split between two 8 inch round heavily greased (buttered) cake pans (or cupcake pans, whatever you wish). Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. I actually start checking it after about 25 minutes but the cooking time can be quite a bit longer.

Cool completely. And then:

1. Option 1: Eat.
2. Option 2: (Judy-Husband Approved) Put Bavarian Cream between the 2 cake layers and Frost the Outside of the cake with Nutella. Warning* Very Rich!
3. Option 3: Put a little of your favorite no sugar added jam or preserves on top. My favorite is No Added Sugar Orange Marmalade or No Sugar Added Cherry. I feel like "sugary" jam makes it way too sweet.
4. Option 4: (Judy-Husband Approved). If cake is not warm, gently heat slightly in the microwave. Top with Nutella and then whipped cream.

[Milk Option Note*- The buttermilk option is the best, hands down, coconut milk is second best, almond milk is adequate. I am allergic to the buttermilk and coconut milk so will often use the almond milk but the buttermilk really gives it a rich flavor. The buttermilk option is my husband's favorite too.]

I can always go for gluten free chocolate cake! Gluten free is a huge staple in my diet now since being diagnosed with celiac not long ago, and what's upsetting about it is the lack of dessert options available because of my disease, so I'll give this recipe a try and let you know what I think! Thanks Judith!

Judith

Crohnsforum Science Advisor
Gluten free desserts were a difficult one for me too. I hope you enjoy and good luck with your GF Diet!

[Milk Option Note*- The buttermilk option is the best, hands down, coconut milk is second best, almond milk is adequate. I am allergic to the buttermilk and coconut milk so will often use the almond milk but the buttermilk really gives it a rich flavor. The buttermilk option is my husband's favorite too.]
My sister is also allergic to buttermilk; so when a recipe calls for it I add a tablespoon of rice wine vinegar per 1 cup of milk and let it sit for five minutes or so. I've only used it with rice and soy milk so far, and apparently you can also use any mild flavoured vinegar or lemon juice. It works a treat and the end result is just as fluffy as the buttermilk version.