• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Gluten free meal planning

First, I confess to pinching this idea from a very popular money saving forum that I'm a member of :redface:
The idea is that you plan your menu for the week and post it, with any tips, links to recipes, ideas where to get cheap ingredients in your area etc.
It was Josephine's thread that made me think about this: that it can be expensive and also how hard I found it and feeling clueless in the beginning as to how to go about it.
Sometimes it would be good, when I'm feeling tired of thinking of things to make, to get some inspiration ..... and a ready made plan!

Yes, Rygon, that ones good. :) I thought there was a thread that had actual plans for a week? Is this it? My eyelids are drooping! Will try to do some proper searching and planning tomorrow. Night all x

I have quick that the link provide Rygon, it look really interest and helpful. One or two have catch eye but I think invest in Gluten free note to write down recipes.

I received several gluten-free cookbooks for my birthday and one of them has a recipe for a gluten free flour mixture to use in baking recipes. The ingredients were so expensive at Whole Foods and my local health food grocery that I almost fell over. Then I found them on line at a fraction of the cost. I got them from Amazon, but they came from a website called vitacost.com. They arrived this weekend so I am going to mix up a batch and try a pizza crust this week. I will let you know how it goes and will post the recipe if it's worth it.

I did a small shop on the way home from work today.
3 for £10 deal: one chicken, pack of mince, pack of chicken breast
3 for £2.50 egg noodles ( 2 for freezer )
pack of stir fry veg 59p ( reduced )
Various veg
Pack of sausages, about £1.50
6 eggs about £2.00

Made a stir fry tonight with the chicken, noodles and veg pack with a bit of oil and peanut butter for flavour.
The mince is for spaghetti bolognaise. I've usually got tinned tomatoes in the cupboard and bulk it out with whatever veg I have in. Gluten free pasta for me and normal for the rest.

I received several gluten-free cookbooks for my birthday and one of them has a recipe for a gluten free flour mixture to use in baking recipes. The ingredients were so expensive at Whole Foods and my local health food grocery that I almost fell over. Then I found them on line at a fraction of the cost. I got them from Amazon, but they came from a website called vitacost.com. They arrived this weekend so I am going to mix up a batch and try a pizza crust this week. I will let you know how it goes and will post the recipe if it's worth it.
I have check the website it US site so do not think apply to us in Britain but thanks anyway.

There is a brand of GF pasta here in the US called Ancient Harvest. It's made with quinoa and corn flours and is the best I have found. Does not get the mushy texture that many rice pastas have. It comes in spaghetti, maccaroni and shells. It's in a turquoise box. Not sure if you can get it in the uk or not.

Doves do a good brown rice gluten free pasta that doesn't go to soggy when cooked, also there g/f flour is good for making crumbles with and can make scones with the g/f self raising flour .

Well today I had very own Gluten free pasta bake, which is
1 Carrot chopped
1Cerley Stick chopped
1 Onion chopped.
Some bacon or what meat you like, Strip or cube chicken, pork or beef.

Fry in oil or butter.

Meanwhile Boiled salt add GF pasta.

and then salt & pepper or any seasonal you like to veg and min or two tin tomato. Veg stock cube GF mix in as while

Drain pasta and place in to lasagne dish or what dish you like add veg, meat and sauce. Then grated some cheese on top. Place oven 200c for 15 mins or until golden brown

I had bacon and potatoes wedges.

Last edited:
Doesn't sound daft. Yes, it would be nice to meet face-to-face with the forum members that we interact with.

I made this yesterday and then realised it's probably gluten free so thought I'd post it for you all!

Cottage pie (would probably serve 4 if you did side dishes but me and boyfriend polished this off between us)

Peel, chop and boil 4 potatoes. Meanwhile fry 1lb (500g) of beef mince, 1 onion, 2 carrots and 1 parsnip. Season with salt, pepper, favourite herbs, add a bit of tomato purée, gravy granules/stock cube (make sure yours is gluten free though!) and Worcestershire sauce (Lee and Perrins). Add a little (about 100mls) of water and leave to simmer for around 10 minutes. Put meat mixture in bottom of casserole dish, mash potatoes and put on top. Bake for around 20-30 minutes (until mash browns) at 180 c.

Yummy, Rebecca :) I think you have to be careful with the Worcestershire sauce as, apparently, the UK version is not GF. It's a real minefield when it comes to avoiding gluten. And hidden sugars. So many things have them sneaked in.

How odd, I checked the label and there was no warning- you know most things have the allergy advice labels these days. Maybe it depends on the brand?
I had a bit of a google and, apparently, if something has malt vinegar in, its got gluten. Yes, very bizarre and not good that they're not up front about it.

Today menu was
spaghetti bolognaise tin tomatoes and gf veg stock for sauce, fresh veg and frozen veg,
Frozen one was boil in some water for about 5 minutes. GF pasta for me and normal others.

Pudding was strawberries and banana crumble, 4oz of Gf plain flour, 4oz of caster sugar and 3oz of butter.

Layed strawberries then pour honey over then and layer the bananas then crumble.

Place in oven at 200cfor 15 Mins or golden brown. We had our with ice cream.

Hello all,

Great idea for a thread. I am posting some links to similar threads on celiac com that might give you ideas. Keep in mind these are not aimed at Crohn's but are for gluten free diets.

What's For Breakfast Today?
http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/t...-today/page__pid__726053__st__180#entry726053

What Did You Have For Lunch Today?
http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/87765-what-did-you-have-for-lunch-today/

What Are You Cooking Tonight?
http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/75238-what-are-you-cooking-tonight/

Just for ref info on celiac:
FAQ Celiac com
http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/f...quently-asked-questions-about-celiac-disease/

:heart: Brilliant GF, thank you so much for the links. Josephine, you're doing so well :) Are the kids liking the GF stuff and are you managing to stay within your budget?

Ooooh, lovely! Just found lots of scone recipes in the links. And they're sugar free too, which I need. Happy, happy :)

your welcome for links, I am sort of stay within my budget and I had extra ten this week so got flours with that plus extra things. Tomorrow is typical Sunday roast chicken but after skin and carve in pot it go.

We had roast chicken last night. I'll make stock today and carrot and parsnip soup. I noticed some coriander coming up in the garden after the winter. I usually put a bit of turmeric in too cos it's anti-inflammatory.

I kept all my receipts from shopping this week and we are spending around £100 a week :-( I usually go with a list and try not to buy extras or junk.
Went on to Asda online and stuff is about half what it costs in the Co-op here so I think I will have to organise a monthly online shop. Even with the delivery cost to the island, it will work out much cheaper. There's not much variety in the wee Coop either.

Roast Chicken over with.

Now made Chicken for 1st time and crossed my fingers .

Chicken and vegetable soup.

Chicken stock half litre made, 1 litre of GF veg stock cube and half on plain water.

Carrots, potatoes, celery and onion and chicken off when do stock. Salt and pepper.

Kids want to try it tomorrow for lunch, my partner to be spoil sport and actual quite proud of myself even taste yucky.

Hi Grumbletum,
I can see your point about it much cheaper and more variety when come get your shopping. I see opposite effect I suppose because I do weekly shop. I hope in near future to do monthly health gf and normal soon.

Do think I could some cornflour obvious gf to soup to thicken if so much?

maria

I love you God.
YAYYY I love this thread!! I have't even read it through yet:ylol:. Just got excited. Planning gluten free meals is harder than you think. I need all the ideas I can get.

Today's menu

Thinking about the week ahead, but I've got as far as today. Ah well, it's a start :)
Breakfast
fresh fruit salad with Greek yoghurt and honey

Lunch
Carrot and parnsip soup
GF scones ( from the linked recipes above )

Dinner
Lasagne - made with beef mince, onion, garlic, tin tomatoes, green pepper, grated carrot to thicken sauce, oregano, seasoning. Cheese sauce made with GF flour. Pasta for the others. Mine I will make with an aubergine I have. Slice, salt and leave to sweat. Dry off, dust with GF flour and fry till golden brown and use that instead of the pasta layer for mine.
Garlic bread ( 2 pack for £1.00 ) but not for me!

Today.
Breakfast Cornflakes.
Lunch for everyone minus stick in mud homemade gf chicken and veg soup.

Dinner mince with tomato sauce and veg.

Grumbletum, Could I have ask for recipe cheese sauce?

GF cheese sauce

Ingredients:

one or two ounces butter
heaped tablespoon GF flour
milk ( about half pint? )
two to three ounces of grated cheddar
salt and pepper to taste

1. Melt the butter in a pot, add the flour and cook for about a minute til you have a kind of sticky paste.
2. Add the milk a little at a time, stirring continuously so that the sauce doesn't go lumpy. ( This can be a bit tricky! ) Using a whisk can help.
3. When you have added all the milk, turn up the heat and keep stirring with a wooden spoon til the sauce is just about to boil.
4. Keep stirring till the sauce is nice and thick - about 5 mins, then add your grated cheese, salt and pepper and cook for another couple of minutes.

It can take a couple of goes to get the hang of this! :)

Meat Ball

Today
Breakfast same cornflakes.

Lunch Fruit and yoghurt.

Dinner.

Home made Meat Ball GF of course.

1000gr of mince,
Add 1-2 onions Fined chopped.
Add Parsley and Basil fresh or dried.
Beaten one egg
Then add to mixture.

Heat little oil in fry pan.

Make your Meat Ball, cover in GF Flour browned off in pan.

Place in oven proof dish pour over tins tomatoes.
place in the oven 200c for half an hour.

We had mashed potatoes , carrots and peas.

Everyone enjoyed, kids messed :)

Today

Lunch is hoping going GF pasta with ham or bacon and cheese sauce.

Dinner Chicken Fillets with mixed herds mashed and veg.

Pudding? Pie Plum with GF Pastry.

Last edited:
Well last two day menu.

Tuesday
Cornflakes for am
Midday Home made Chicken and veg soup, this with more seasoning in. Yummy.
Dinner Home made Meatballs with onion and seasoning with Egg and GF flour.
vegetables and rice.

Wednesday.

Cornflakes again am.
Rest of Chicken soup lunch.
Dinner Pork chops,veg and potatoes.

Pudding Pear and Apple pie made with dove GF flour which did not really work out right.

breakfast- small slice of raw ginger,detox herbal tea,coffee...followed by a bowl of raspberries
snack - herb omelette (1 whole,3whites) with flax oil
lunch - avocado,cheese & quinoa-cakes/patties on half a gf wrap
snack - sweet potato soup
dinner - whole baked lemon-herb snapper with small serve basmati rice & spinach

Breakfast- Oatmeal and fruit
Snack - GF granola, almonds, and a date
Lunch- Hamburger Steak dressed as if it had a bun and a small green salad.
Dinner- Meatloaf, mashed potatos, and veggies.

Yea, you are doing really good :) I've been really busy at work and with the broken foot and all, have not been cooking from scratch so much. I definitely feel better when I'm on SCD so must try to get back in line!