• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

GMOs linked to gluten disorders plaguing 18 million Americans

Thank you.
I can't help but to wonder how many ~ at the very least try to balance things a little with taking a probiotic since this has a mention of 'harmful strains' overgrowth? And how many have tried a 'diet' that the Interninst tried?

Their "report" is terrible, three pages with almost no references to their sources. There are no government reports on how dangerous Glyphosate is, Infact, it is registered as a class III pesticide by the EPA, harmless in the doses you are likely to receive in food but dangerous if you say...chugged a bottle of it. There are no reports of "leaky gut" Stephanie Seneff is indeed a senior researcher at MIT but in computer science. She only has a bachelors in biophysics. Her "work" in biology has been in such applications as trying to prove a link between autism and glyphosate. The study they cite on glyphosate toxicity is inline with the EPA's findings, it has mild effects on human biology And the other is on the microbiome in chickens. There's more holes in this report than it allegedly puts in people. Seems like fear mongering to push more of the gluten free/anti-GMO fad. Note this site is also anti-vaccine, that should tell you about the caliber of people who wrote this.

Their "report" is terrible, three pages with almost no references to their sources. There are no government reports on how dangerous Glyphosate is, Infact, it is registered as a class III pesticide by the EPA, harmless in the doses you are likely to receive in food but dangerous if you say...chugged a bottle of it. There are no reports of "leaky gut" Stephanie Seneff is indeed a senior researcher at MIT but in computer science. She only has a bachelors in biophysics. Her "work" in biology has been in such applications as trying to prove a link between autism and glyphosate. The study they cite on glyphosate toxicity is inline with the EPA's findings, it has mild effects on human biology And the other is on the microbiome in chickens. There's more holes in this report than it allegedly puts in people. Seems like fear mongering to push more of the gluten free/anti-GMO fad. Note this site is also anti-vaccine, that should tell you about the caliber of people who wrote this.
I agree with some of this, although nothing will convince me Bacillus Thuringiensis is safe for people with stomach illnesses based on it's mechanism of action in killing insects.

rygon

Insects and humans are totally different. Things that kill humans may not kill insects and vice-versa.

You say nothing will convince you? Not even sound evidence?

nogutsnoglory

I don't get how this is even a debate. Whether or not there are dangerous consequences seems irrelevant. Why are we messing with nature? There is a way that's been done for millions of years and it works, we know that's healthy. Why spin the wheel and risk problems? So many new illnesses today are coming from someplace and I bet this plays a part.

There is no sound evidence. There is not one long term study on humans concerning GMO's, or glyphosate on humans. Try find one that is even one year long.

We are the test subjects. Welcome to the study.

Dan

rygon

we've been messing with nature for thousands of years. Do you really think that wheat, pigs, cows etc really look like they do now in the wild.

GMOs maybe a bit more scientific but the results are very much the same

We're been editing DNA since we first went from hunter-gatherers to farmers. Compare an ear of maize from five thousand years ago with one of today, a modern cow an ancestor from that long past aeon, even our companion animals - dogs are part of the same genetic engineering. This is nothing more than an extension than husbandry and plant breeding by other means.

We're been editing DNA since we first went from hunter-gatherers to farmers. Compare an ear of maize from five thousand years ago with one of today, a modern cow an ancestor from that long past aeon, even our companion animals - dogs are part of the same genetic engineering. This is nothing more than an extension than husbandry and plant breeding by other means.
Nope. For one, the wheat supply was pretty much the same all the way up to the 60s when Norman Borlaug came around. It's only recently something that has changed.

Secondly, take bt insecticide for instance. We take the gene from a bacterium and genetically engineer it into corn and soy products. This gives corn and soy an inherent ability to fight off insects by splitting open the insects stomachs.

Plants and farming have always been mutating with the help of humans. Problem is it's always been inter species.

Taking the genes from a bacteria and implanting that into the corn is crossing species. It is wholly unnatural.

Lady Organic

Staff member
There is no sound evidence. There is not one long term study on humans concerning GMO's, or glyphosate on humans. Try find one that is even one year long.

We are the test subjects. Welcome to the study.

Dan
Gilles-Eric Seralini is the only researcher whose been able to study the impact of pesticides and GMO's on a 2 year study on rats, 3 years ago. His research has been published in a journal then a few months after, removed!!! and just recently another scientific journal decided to publish his article again after a consciorcuium of over 200 scintifics worlwide signed a petition for the article to be republished. His results conclude in carcinogenic evidence for both substances. Rats fed with GMO corn based diet and or with pesticide in water at various degrees show an overall 20% more cancers than rats fed with pesticide and GMO free diets. all other previous researchers who have been interested in this subject and obtained negative conclusions on these products have either been fired from universities, have seen their subventions removed and have been forced to silence. MONSANTO is a MAFIA and the government is taking part in it...

its pathetic, the population is used as guinea pigs. I'm no longer one.

I am aware of the rat study. It is the longest term animal study that I am aware of.

One reason we have started to grow our own food, and shop at Green Polka Dot Box for the stuff we can't grow. I am tired of not knowing what is in my food. The lobbying for the prevention of GMO labeling is at an unprecedented high.

I am moving toward opting out of the experiment also. It is difficult without labeling.

Dan

The 'report' is most likely a more 'touch on, conclusion' perhaps? To be read by those familiar. Orchid, what is your degree in? What qualifies you to dumb down another's research? Asking in a nice tone.

The younger generations are stepping into what is, the older generations are familiar with 'what was'.

It is weird that when this subject is brought up an argument usually arises. Learn, don't learn... eat it, or don't ~ it's your body.

So 282 million Americans have no issue with gluten. So what exactly is the problem? WE are the ones with the illness. WE have to adjust accordingly. More than 99% of the population has no problem, so why are the gluten makers all of a sudden so evil? It bothers you? don't eat it.

Sure, food processing has changed. You have every right to avoid it, but don't crucify them for something that is working just fine for nearly the entire population.

We also now have cellphones attached to our heads every second, maybe increasing migraines and brain tumors. Flat screen TV's that emit lights that keep us up all night, make us sleepy drivers and unproductive workers the next day. Should we rally against all the electronic makers?

Hunters/gatherers didn't have pills to prevent pregnancy either, but now women take them like water, perhaps driving up breast cancer and blood clots in young women. Where is the outrage there?

The world changes and advances. Some of these advances will adversely affect small populations whose genetics simply won't tolerate these changes. We need to suck it up and deal with it.

So 282 million Americans have no issue with gluten. So what exactly is the problem? WE are the ones with the illness. WE have to adjust accordingly. More than 99% of the population has no problem, so why are the gluten makers all of a sudden so evil? It bothers you? don't eat it.

Sure, food processing has changed. You have every right to avoid it, but don't crucify them for something that is working just fine for nearly the entire population.

We also now have cellphones attached to our heads every second, maybe increasing migraines and brain tumors. Flat screen TV's that emit lights that keep us up all night, make us sleepy drivers and unproductive workers the next day. Should we rally against all the electronic makers?

Hunters/gatherers didn't have pills to prevent pregnancy either, but now women take them like water, perhaps driving up breast cancer and blood clots in young women. Where is the outrage there?

The world changes and advances. Some of these advances will adversely affect small populations whose genetics simply won't tolerate these changes. We need to suck it up and deal with it.
Hi MD, That's a tough 'pill' to choke down. No issue should be too staunch ~ leaving little room for research. Shocking that an MD would shut a door and finish with 'We need to suck it up, and deal with it' Many of us as patients are very familiar with that phrase. LOL.
Also, Americans - from a statistical point of view can no longer be considered 'small' due to obesity effecting the population as a mass. Hard not to wonder with an increase in all you have mentioned is 'obesity' a direct result of the above? How many illnesses are linked to obesity? Why are people, children etc, so much heavier, is it glutten, chemicals, environment, lack of exercise, poor diet, glandular, hormones, genetics that have morphed over the last generations? What is it?

Hi MD, That's a tough 'pill' to choke down. No issue should be too staunch ~ leaving little room for research. Shocking that an MD would shut a door and finish with 'We need to suck it up, and deal with it' Many of us as patients are very familiar with that phrase. LOL.
Also, Americans - from a statistical point of view can no longer be considered 'small' due to obesity effecting the population as a mass. Hard not to wonder with an increase in all you have mentioned is 'obesity' a direct result of the above? How many illnesses are linked to obesity? Why are people, children etc, so much heavier, is it glutten, chemicals, environment, lack of exercise, poor diet, glandular, hormones, genetics that have morphed over the last generations? What is it?

My statement was in response to someone calling all the GMO/Gluten folks "outrageous" and "how can they get away with it?"

Get away with what? something that is negatively impacting 0.06% of the population? Sure, research the issue, monitor it. But I still say at the end of the day we need to suck and it up deal with it- meaning it's not a problem for the vast majority. We are wired to have an issue with it. The onus is on US to do what's best for us. Not to preach how evil someone else is for doing something that is not impacting 282 million people.

The same chemicals and food are all over Europe, the Mid-east and elsewhere, but obesity is nowhere near what it is here. I care for COUNTLESS obese patients in a major northeast city. Can we PLEASE stop looking to blame our problems on something or someone else? Do you know how many people bike and walk to work and play outside in other countries? Do you know how many 400 pound folks in the hospitals in the US have their families sneak big macs into their rooms? Do you know how many times I have seen people put Dr. Pepper or Coke into baby bottles?

I don't mean to be so harsh. I just get very frustrated with the culture of looking to hang our hat onto something and say "this is why." Sure some people have metabolic and genetic issues that predispose to obesity. That should be part of every workup. Just like with hypertension we test for thyroid, kidney, and adrenal problems to be thorough. But the translation to every obese patient when we start bandwagoning the GMO's and the chemicals? It's not my diet, my lack of exercise, IT'S NOT MY RESPONSIBILITY.

At the end of the day, we need to be accountable to ourselves for what works and doesn't work for us. My brother and I ate the same things and lived in the same room for 18 years. We both went to competitve colleges, medical schools, got married had kids. Neither of us ever smoked, rarely drank, so why did I get crohn's and he not? Why does he get terrible migraines and need a cold dark room and I never get a headache (No one in our family has IBD or migraines?) who knows? All I know is that I don't blame anyone, or anything for my crohn's, even though it was clearly linked to taking a Zpack. Zpacks are great meds. But just because it started me on this IBD journey doesn't mean I spend my time blaming it, rallying to ban it, or not prescribe it. I was wired to react to it the way I did.

My decision was to suck it up and deal with it.

You took the Zpack knowing the potential risks and benefits of the drug.

The general population has no such choice with GMO's. They are not labeled, and have never been consumed by humans before. I have problems both with the lack of long term studies for a plant that produces a pesticide, and is also put into the food chain without the consumers knowledge.

I believe people have a right to know what they are consuming. They also have a right not to consume anything they choose. That right is stripped when you do not have knowledge of what is in a product.

Dan

You took the Zpack knowing the potential risks and benefits of the drug.

The general population has no such choice with GMO's. They are not labeled, and have never been consumed by humans before. I have problems both with the lack of long term studies for a plant that produces a pesticide, and is also put into the food chain without the consumers knowledge.

I believe people have a right to know what they are consuming. They also have a right not to consume anything they choose. That right is stripped when you do not have knowledge of what is in a product.

Dan

I find it ironic that everyone wants to know exactly what is in every granule of food they eat that is regulated, but have no problem popping a supplement from a holistic store b/c someone on an internet site got "cured" with it, having no idea what the hell is in it. Just read the avatars of half the people here. I wonder if they know exactly what is in every supplement they take.

To me the current evidence is such. When it comes to gluten 99% + of people are not currently bothered by it. Will that change over time? maybe. Is it worth researching? sure. why not? But is that why you got IBD? I don't think that can be answered. Our energy is limited. You want to spend it on this issue- fine. Let me know how it turns out in 1, 5, 10, 20 years and how it impacts your disease.

BTW- I avoid gluten. Why? because it often bothers me. But I am not lobbying my congressman to launch hearings into these evildoers all laughing behind closed doors purposely hiding knowledge that they know they making me sick. I still prescribe Zpacks all the time. Great drug. I had an unfortunate reaction. It happens.

My statement was in response to someone calling all the GMO/Gluten folks "outrageous" and "how can they get away with it?"

Get away with what? something that is negatively impacting 0.06% of the population? Sure, research the issue, monitor it. But I still say at the end of the day we need to suck and it up deal with it- meaning it's not a problem for the vast majority. We are wired to have an issue with it. The onus is on US to do what's best for us. Not to preach how evil someone else is for doing something that is not impacting 282 million people.
No offense, but you have no idea how many people this could be effecting.
The same chemicals and food are all over Europe, the Mid-east and elsewhere, but obesity is nowhere near what it is here. I care for COUNTLESS obese patients in a major northeast city. Can we PLEASE stop looking to blame our problems on something or someone else? Do you know how many people bike and walk to work and play outside in other countries? Do you know how many 400 pound folks in the hospitals in the US have their families sneak big macs into their rooms? Do you know how many times I have seen people put Dr. Pepper or Coke into baby bottles?
Yea, I know. People can't care for themselves. Period. Get with reality, most people are only concerned with their pleasure appetites. Food, drink, and sex. That's it. Therefore, I think all this crap should be banned, because the consumer will not stray if given the choice. Doesn't matter how much self-responsbility you preach. Laisez Fair Capitalism DOES NOT belong in the food supply. If something is not 100% proven to be safe it shouldn't be in the food supply. Period.

To me the current evidence is such. When it comes to gluten 99% + of people are not currently bothered by it. Will that change over time? maybe. Is it worth researching? sure. why not? But is that why you got IBD? I don't think that can be answered. Our energy is limited. You want to spend it on this issue- fine. Let me know how it turns out in 1, 5, 10, 20 years and how it impacts your disease.
Again, you have no idea how many people this could be effecting. The physiological effect on someone else could be totally different than it is on me. I get IBD, while someone else gets headaches, while someone else gets arthritis, or Ulcers, or IBS, etc. It could effect many different people in many different ways. I would also wager to say IBS and IBD incidence are under reported simply because of the embarrassing aspect of the disease.
BTW- I avoid gluten. Why? because it often bothers me. But I am not lobbying my congressman to launch hearings into these evildoers all laughing behind closed doors purposely hiding knowledge that they know they making me sick. I still prescribe Zpacks all the time. Great drug. I had an unfortunate reaction. It happens.
Who is saying that? We're not talking about the Rothschilds here. This is about globalism. Making money. Pushing food onto people that hasn't been proven to be safe. Nobody is willingly making anyone sick. At the end of the day this is simply about what ALL things in the United States are about, MONEY.

Poppy- I can't argue with any of their points. They are all fair ones to make. Maybe IBD is under reported, maybe it isn't. Maybe these foods do cause other problems. We simply don't know. But I go back to cellphones, microwaves, OTC supplements which are not regulated.

I am not saying that GMO's cause anything. You can't conveniently lump them into a group. There are various types, and each needs to be tested on its own.

Just as there are people who are sensitive to gluton, we have a new class of foods that no one knows all the possible effects. If genetically altered corn were to cause an allergic reaction in some people who have asthma just for the sake of discussion. How are they to avoid it when there is no indication it is present in the food?

My daughter who has celiac Sprue, can avoid gluton to a large extent because wheat products are generally the cause. You stated yourself that you avoid Gluton. How would you avoid it if wheat is not listed on the ingredients?

Yet on the other hand, your argument seems to be that this small percentage of people who respond negatively to whatever it might be, should just suck it up, because it's to bothersome to actually inform them what's in the food they buy.

I couldn't eat onions at one time. They made me ill. I have no idea why, but they don't bother me now when I am well. Easy enough, don't eat things with onions in them. I could do that because they are listed as an ingredient.

I don't think it is unreasonable to list an unnatural form of food that has not been eaten by humans in the past. It is common sense.

It affords everyone the ability to avoid it for whatever reason, just as you do regarding gluton.

Dan

It's true GMO's are really damaging, I find anything that's overly GMO-laced causes me considerable harm even if it's off the FODMAP list