• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Goat's MILK?

Ok, so according to my new diet, cow milk and cheese is gone,
and goat milk and cheese is in.

I need someone's HONEST opinion on what they taste like.
I have heard both it tastes JUST like cows milk, and also that
it tastes like 'old billy goat"

I will, of course, be trying it regardless, but it would be nice
to have an idea of what to expect. :smile:

Thanks!

J

jobengals

i have made it a habit to stay away from cow products, and definitely felt the difference. My milk is soy, and my cheese is goat... goat flavor is much more ... how to say ... i think more robust, and pronounced; some might say stronger, but i think it's delicious... I'm now an avid goat cheese connoisseur...as for milk, i want to try it.. but my guess is it'll be strong. cheers

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
Goat's milk does taste a bit different, but maybe that's just me. I tried it a few times. Better? Worse? Dunno, but it is different. I think organic vs. commercial dairy is also a factor as far as taste.

If you use it for smoothies, I guess it whatever you add would mask the flavour.

I use soy for smoothies and coffee creamer, and almond milk for cereal.

Goat cheese is good, though....

Last time I had goat cheese I thought it was pretty gross. Then again I don't have a very adventurous palate.

have you ever been to a farm with goats? do you remember what the goats smelled like? that's what goat's cheese tasted like to me.

well, i'm glad you like it, but i don't think i'll ever try it! there are just some things i won't eat!

J

jobengals

GoJohnnyGo said:
It's called Gjetost, and the color comes from carmelized lactic sugars. It has a sweet, nutty taste. It's very good.:chef:
dude that looks like a big freakin slab of delicious

Ok, so I bought some goat milk and cheese today.

I'll have the milk tomorrow and let you know how it goes, but today
I had the cheese in my sandwich.

I got the goat cheddar cheese from Trader Joe's-
Actually good stuff!!! A little more bitter than the cow stuff I'm used to,
but I'm pretty sure I will get used to this. :)

I couldn't make myself eat goats milk/cheese.... ahhhh.

I read about the bacteria that's supposed to be in milk, microbacterium lactoteberculosis (sp?), it doesn't get killed by pasteurisation at 72 deg C.
But if you cook the milk, e.g. pizza, tea and so on, you can kill it.

Ohh, forgot to say, this bacteria was once thought to cause Crohn's.
I have been off noncooked dairy for about 10years now, but still have my Pizza!!!

There are still theories on MAP (that bacteria) causing Crohns, it hasn't been killed yet.

I havent' been constipated with Crohns really, but I will look in the toilet from now on to see if GoJohnny's Block O brown is there for if I ever am constipated.

Ew is right, Johnny's pic looks like something surgically removed from a rectum. Sorry.

Cheese may help bind, but if you eat too much saturated fat (like some cheeses if overdone) it will worsen inflammation. Mono and Poly fats are the ones that are actually good for inflammation. 5 g of sat fat in a serving, multiplied by something like 4 or 5 servings....

What I meant was a BM is weight loss, and with flaring, you're bound to have taken one by the time she calls, and you're not lying.

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
Agent X20 said:
If it's sweet and gooey, I'm bound to like it!
mmmm.... Gjetost!
Actually, I usually have it only around Christmas time, or the odd time I have a hankering.

It IS good though.

BWS1982 said:
I havent' been constipated with Crohns really, but I will look in the toilet from now on to see if GoJohnny's Block O brown is there for if I ever am constipated.
Benson... shame on you, trampling all over GoJohnny's cultural sensibilities!

Block O brown, indeed :ylol2:

M

My Tummy Hurts

what about sheep milk? Same concept? I LOVE saganaki...mmmm....its more salty. Love it.

My Tummy Hurts said:
what about sheep milk?
ive never had sheep milk, but sheep cheese yes!
theres this kind called Halloumi, and you literally just slice it and fry it on a griddle or something. it gets melty and OMG delicious! its like the best mozzerella stick ever minus the breaded outside.

and for me goats milk taste just like cows milk, but cheese from them billy's? meh not so much :tongue:

I like goats milk, tastes creamier to me than cows milk. It is more expensive though. I can drink cows milk, its just sometimes I want a change.

Wow goat milk, new to me. I thinks it just have the same of cow's milk but its up to the nutrients. Which is delicious one, cow's milk or goat milk?

I tried many times to embrace Goats Milk. It's fine on it's own, but doesn't work well with a Latte.

I had heard that raw cow's milk is much better on the digestion---and it's True! No issues at all. The problem is finding raw cow's milk that you trust, but if you go to a farmer's market usually they will usually sell it to you if you ask them in a low-down type of way. (in most states I think it's illegal to sell non-pasteurized milk, but pasteurizing is what kills all the digestive enzymes too). I recommend trying a small amount, making sure it's not spoiled or anything, and if nothing happens it's actually amazing. My tummy usually curls when I drink milk of any kind, but it was totally great. thought I'd share.....