• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Going Backwards! Vent Warning

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
My throat is still very sore. It feels as though I've swallowed razor blades. I was told to wait it out because it was viral. The rapid strep test showed nothing. Before I had my tonsils out years ago, I caught strep about three to five times a year. That happened over a five year span. I know what strep feels like.

I am speechless because my general doctor decided to move away. I kind of new she was temporary, but I didn't expect it to happen so quickly. I had changed doctors before her because I felt that my other doctor wasn't listening to me and she came up with the stupidest ideas. Examples: I had sores on my scalp. My hair is very thick so they aren't noticeable. When I showed them to her she said, "You must be scrubbing your scalp too hard." When I complained about the extra cramping and bloating that I feel when I'm on proton pump inhibitors (super acid reflux meds) she said, "Well maybe because the pain is gone from the upper part, you notice your lower pain more." I am serious. I have to see that quack until they assign me to another doctor in the practice. She's the one who suggested that I wait the sore throat out. I don't want to deal with her again.

Scott has succumbed to the illness in our house. He also has the razor blade feeling in his throat. He went to his doctor and he has strep throat. He is on antibiotics like the kids. He really upset me earlier this evening. The kids are still feeling yucky, are more whiny than normal, and running low grade fevers off and on. I have been feeling sick too. I was laying on the couch while the kids were playing and watching Sesame Street. I sure hope you don't think I'm a negligent mother. I dozed off for a while. When I woke up the two kids reminded me of little rats. They were scurrying around on the floor, and much to my horror, I discovered they had gotten into Scott's Emergency Vitamin drink packets. They scattered those packets all over the floor. A couple of them busted open and the kids were playing with the powder like it was sand. What a mess! To make matters worse, Alex had spilled his sippy cup of water all over.

Scott had left me with the kids for most of the day. Before I had a chance to really start on the mess, I heard Scott come in. He wasn't happy. He said something like, "What the heck happened? Weren't you watching them?" I explained that I had felt sick and laid down for a moment only to doze off for a while. He went on about how sick he was and that the doctor put him on antibiotics. I begged him to make supper so that I could clean up the mess. He played up being sick again, and I told him that I felt just as lousy, and that I'm not taking antibiotics. He fixed dinner while I picked up toys, vacuumed, and mopped the floors (we have hardwood floors). While I was trying to clean up, Alex started trying to add to the mess. I got upset and put him in his booster seat and scolded him. Scott snapped, "You're the one who is to blame. He doesn't know any better." I almost lost it but I didn't. Scott was a jerk for most of the evening. Why do some people get nasty when they don't feel good? I got my feelings hurt.

After I got the kids ready for bed, I took off for a ride. I really didn't feel like talking with Scott who seems to think that nobody can feel as lousy as he does. Maybe I'm over-reacting, but I often feel like the dirty work falls on me whether sick or well. I told him how upset I was over having to see my former doctor this last visit. I felt like she had trivialized how bad I felt. Scott said, "Well maybe it's because you go to the clinic so much." I saw red. I don't think he realized how hurtful that comment sounded. He has seen me at my worst with the Crohn's. He's been in the ER with me. How could he casually say that. I would like to think that he said that out of stupidity rather than trying to hurt me. He then said, "If you feel so rotten, go back. Go to see my doctor, but don't try to make the rest of us miserable." Another hurtful comment.

I don't know what to think of the situation. Before Scott went to bed, he came up and acted like nothing was wrong. I said, "I just don't want to talk to you." I'm tired of having to play games with doctors. My kids and husband seem to have no problems when it comes to doctor's visits. I always feel like I get the third degree or the, "Let's wait it out and see." I know this is totally silly, but I feel almost as though I'm not worthy of their time. At least, that's how they seem to treat me. I guess I will need to be the one to apologize to Scott first. But dang it! Why do I have to? I just need to vent my anger and hurt. I apologize if I'm not making much sense.

LOSTnut

Poopy
Sweetie, you (unfortunately?) make perfect sense to me.

I was in a similar situation in terms of just taking too much from the BF. I finally snapped and send him packing. We are back together but my point is that during the time he was out I found myself again. Now I don't hold back anymore and if he pisses me off or I feel he treats me unfairly, playing up his pain against mine I just tell him to shut the f*** up!

I know a separation might not be the solution for you but I guess my point is: don't be afraid to speak up when you are treated unfairly or feel hurt by Scott's comments.

Personally, I would NOT apologize for feeling crappy and dozing off. Just let him have it for a change and tell him what you wrote on here!

Lots of hugs and I hope you will feel better very soon!

P.S. How's the nanny search going???

Having both parents sick with kids to take care of is rough. I'm very lucky that hubby never gets sick. Maybe once every 2-3 years. When it happens, he gets moody, too. I'm sure I'm moody when I'm not feeling well. It sounds like you were both in a bad mood and just need some time to cool off. I hope today is better!

P.S. I've totally dozed off and let the kids watch cartoons. And ended up with a mess when I woke up. You're not neglectful-it happens!

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
Thanks Heike and Steph! I am going back to the doctor today. We have a sitter today, so both Scott and I can get some rest. I told Scott we would talk about this when we are feeling better. I agree that we both felt bad and tempers probably flared because of that.

I think the whole doctor situation made it even worse for me. Well, here's to another day!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Oh Andi, I'm so sorry to read about all this...:( I hear ya hun and dare I say it but the guys tend to have a harder time dealing with it which just makes it all the more frustrating! I know you know what I mean. :wink:

I hope you can both get some rest and yes, I think being unwell can bring the worst side out, so not a good combination when you are both feeling like shit!

Good luck with the appointment hun! Keep us posted.

Thinking of you, :hug:
Dusty. xxxxxxxx

Oh Andi, I'm so sorry to read about all this...:( I hear ya hun and dare I say it but the guys tend to have a harder time dealing with it which just makes it all the more frustrating! I know you know what I mean. :wink:
You got that right, Dusty. :)

Andy, hopefully y'all will feel better soon and can smooth things over. My husband doesn't deal well with discomfort either, and I can imagine him saying some similar things. Take care!

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
Thank you again for the support and kind words. I decided that I couldn't wait until we felt better. I had a talk with Scott after the kids went to bed. Boy, did I have an eye opener. He thinks that I'm going through a depression in addition to being sick. He said, "I see how you are dragging around and sleepy all the time." I tried to explain that yes besides being sick, I am dealing with my CD which can drain me. There are many times that I have to stay up later than I want to because I'm in pain. It can be hard to sleep with acid reflux and/or intestinal cramps.

I love Scott, but he didn't have the most nurturing mother, and he has always been a strong, somewhat macho guy. He also has the typical guys way of saying the wrong thing without meaning to. During our talk he said, "I love you, but I am not going to watch you waste away because of your depression. You need to get off your butt and work out. Not just pushing the kids in the stroller, but really work out. You may think meds. are the way to go, but who knows how long those will take to kick in. You are not yourself, the fun, lively girl I used to know." Scott played semi-pro football; and even at 45, he's still in pretty good shape. After his father died when he was in his 20s, he fell into a deep depression for a while. It was the type where he didn't get out of bed for a while. His doctor prescribed Prozac, but after doing his own research he found out that strenuous exercise can also help to get one out of a funk. He did some serious working out, and dug himself out of his depression that way. I admire that, but I am still not convinced that I am depressed. I think my body has reached a saturation level. I did have a very hard year at school. I've dealt with several flare-ups, problems with my asthma, and two babies. I feel like I should be entitled to rest and sit around for a while. In a couple of weeks, I'll be back at school. I'm not angry at what he said about me getting up off my butt, but I think he's over simplifying things with exercise. What do you think? I'm willing to try it, but I also need to rest.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
You are not yourself, the fun, lively girl I used to know.
When was this? Before kids?

Certainly having two young children will change that equation somewhat and of course your CD on top of that. Do you feel you aren't that same person too?

You may not be depressed but if you are then the depression associated with chronic illness affects you differently to a depression that is related to an outside cause, so yes, what worked for him may well not work for you. I wouldn't rule it out and perhaps Scott is seeing something that you don't, just consider it is all I'm saying. Having said that it may be that you are indeed exhausted by your health issues, children and work and let's face it, who wouldn't be?

Personally, I don't think a depression associated with CD would respond to exercise alone. This is something that you are going to have deal with for the rest of your life and that journey is vastly different to the one Scott had.

Sarah certainly gets a buzz from running and it leaves her feeling good but that is not from a basis of depression. I don't think exercise would do any harm but neither do I think it is the complete answer.

:hang:

Dusty. xxxxxxxx

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
You brought up something that didn't really dawn on me. I think he may have been referring to before we had kids. We were married for five years before having children. Kids do change things. I think he right about me feeling tired all the time. I have suffered from depression in the past, but I do think it was related to having CD and the chronic pain. I plan on exercising, but I have already decided not to overdo it. I am taking Zoloft because of a panic disorder. It has helped with the depression. I'll see if the exercise thing works. I actually told him that it would be more fun to exercise together. We find out in October if he will have a shift change. He is working nights, but he may be moved to the first shift. I think the first shift is from 5:00 am to 1:30 pm. That will be weird, but we will have some more time together.