• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Going off a biological, option to try again later?

I have been flaring for a while (and Simponi has never controlled my disease, constant joint inflammation), no change with biweekly injection of Simponi yet, maybe I need to try another biological...
Any personal experience with going back on a biological that has been tried before (antibody issues etc.)?

Maya142

Staff member
My daughter has done this -- with Remicade (3 times). It's not recommended with Remicade, but honestly, we ran out of options for her. She has both AS and Crohn's, so we needed a drug that worked for both.

She has also done it with Humira (been on it twice).

Remicade worked the second time, but not the third time for her. Humira worked the second time, but not very well and she only lasted 3 months or so on it.

She has also been on Simponi. She had some response, but not enough to control the arthritis. Her Crohn's has been under control for several years, thankfully.

With the Remicade, I worried a lot about allergic reactions but she was fine. She had no issues with re-starting either Humira or Remicade. She also tested negative for antibodies for Remicade.

However, the third time, it was really not very effective for her.

Other options would be Cimzia and Stelara, if you don't want to re-try a biologic.

Good luck!

Curious Maya142 , why did your daughter go off Remicade for the first time? Was it not working for her but you decided to try again anyway?

Maya142

Staff member
She did not have a good rheumatologist at the time. He put her on 3mg/kg of Remicade. It didn't work. She had 3 infusions at 3mg/kg and it didn't really do a whole lot so he switched her to Enbrel (she had not been diagnosed with Crohn's yet).

Then while on Enbrel she was diagnosed with Crohn's. We switched rheumatologists and the new rheumatologist and her GI decided to re-try Remicade at a higher dose - 5 mg/kg (the dose was quickly increased to 7.5mg/kg and then eventually 10mg/kg). They also added MTX. Then it worked REALLY well - for both her joints and her Crohn's - but unfortunately, it only worked for 8-9 months.

Maya142

Staff member
No - she has just been on Simponi once. It worked well for the Crohn's, but not her AS.