• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Going off Remicade for skin issues and back on in the future?

Hi Everyone,

I've been on and off these forums since my daughter, now 27, was diagnosed with ileal Crohn's. She's been on Remicade for 7 years. Since the DAY after her first infusion, she's been free of Crohn's symptoms. She is now in what they call "deep remission".

About a year ago, she started getting some skin problems in her panty line (top of inner thigh). At the beginning, there were three boils next to each other. Derm put her on Doxycline, then Bactrim. Didn't do anything. Finally we got the GI to put her on Keflex and it treated the boils, but eventually a cyst formed on the left side and we can't seem to get rid of it. We tried Keflex + Rifampin for 10 days around May and now are doing 3 weeks of Keflex + Rifampin. It seemed to keep the cyst away for about a week and then much to my chagrin, while she is on the combination, it came back.

The next thing to do is to try going off Remicade and see if it's the Remicade that's causing these skin issues. I don't want to stop Remicade because it's controlled her Crohn's symptoms so well for 7 years. She had Prometheus testing a few months ago and it showed no HACA antibodies.

So my question is: has anyone gone off Remicade and then re-started it later on? If we try another med, like Stelara, could my daughter make antibodies to Inflximab even if she has undetectable HACAs now (at the point of going off)? (meaning: if she is antibody negative when she goes off Remicade, could she BECOME antibody-positive if she doesn't see Remicade for a year or so? My fear is if Stelara or other med didn't work on her Crohn's symptoms and we wanted to go back on Remicade, would we have a problem? Anyone who can send me to a paper on PubMed they know about on this?

Anyone who went off Remicade (NOT due to intolerability or antibody formation but rather to side-effects such as this) and back on successfully, or unsuccessfully, I would love to hear from you. Thank you!

Amy (Daughter 27, ileal Crohn's disease, diagnosed May 2005, on Remicade (monotherapy) since June 2006; no other meds except curcumin, Vitamin D, folic acid, fish oil).

Ergh, please look into the possibility of serum sickness if she goes off Remicade. It can be serious. Since Remicade is working so well in other respects, it is probably best to treat the skin issues topically.

Ergh, please look into the possibility of serum sickness if she goes off Remicade. It can be serious. Since Remicade is working so well in other respects, it is probably best to treat the skin issues topically.
Ok, thank you, I will look into it. I appreciate your comment! :)

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I have been dealing with skin issues attributed to Remicade for a few years now...They have improved over time (a little slowly, but definitely inproved!) with just topical treatment. To me, the benefits of the Remicade have outweighed the annoyance of the skin issues.....I've been on Remicade since fall 2005.....