• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Going on holidays with low WBC

hey all I just got bloods back today with wbc 2.7. I have to have routine bloods every two weeks because my TPMT level is low for 6mp. Anyway I am concerned about the wbc being low as i am going to spain for 10 days. Also by GI did say that if my wbc dropped id have to come off 6mp :( any of you have any advice

If you go, make sure you have really good travel insurance. Not sure how WBC are done, but I know it means you are likely at a high risk of infection. Not a great idea when going to a foreign place. Lots of bugs there that your body isn't familiar with.

If you are able to postpone, it might be worth considering.

Lady Organic

Staff member
I would not worry too much. Your GI will yes want to dimisnish your 6-mp and the WBC will stabilize fast. What is your dosage of 6-mp? 50 or 75 mg/day? Sometimes GI orders a few days off the 6-mp to return to new lower dosage after and monitor how it goes. I have had a lot of issues myself with low WBC reports and unfortunately I cant do no more than 25mg/day now. We are trying final call with 25mg/day x 5 days and 50mg/day x 2 days. Hopefully this will be enough to keep me in remission. 25mg/day was not enough.