• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Going to the swimming pool with a stoma

Hi :)

One thing I have never had the courage to do is go to a swimming pool, since having my stoma. I would love to, but just can't. I know some people, men especially, wear t.shirts in the pool, but I think that draws more attention to it.

So does anyone here, with a stoma, go swimming? What's your experience?

That's a question I've always wanted to know and I haven't even got a stoma !
I've read somewhere about irrigation ( I think ), where you completely empty yourself and then you can plug it .
I'm sorry if that's completely wrong !! Hopefully someone else will know more and post on here .
Sorry I can't help anymore .
Jen xx

Nyx

I go in my hot tub all the time, and I have been swimming. I have pic on here of me in my bathing suit, and you can't even see Oscar. I've never had a problem with anything 'falling off' or anything like that. I just get out of the water, change my bag (I hate a wet bag!), and blow dry my flange on the low setting.

Re: Irrigation. Only people with colostomies can do that. I have yet to try it as I've read that it's relatively uncomfortable (same as an enema for the regular folks out there) and I haven't seen the need for myself yet. I may try it some day...

Here's the link to me in my bathing suit: http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=6105&page=3&highlight=ostomy+clothing I'm on page 3.

Here's the link to info about irrigation: http://www.ostomates.org/irrigation.html This is the most comprehensive site that I've come across as it's from the point of view of someone who's done it.

I went swimming quite a lot at one point, I haven't been for a while now and quit my gym due to an incident but that wasn't anything to do with my stoma.

It was something I used to love doing and when I got my stoma thought I'd never do again. But eventually I found the courage to give it a try and Loved it. I wear like a waistband to keep my bag secure and then a rash type t shirt. It probably did attract a bit of attention to myself being a man but no one seemed to bat an eyelid, I'd get myself dry in a disabled changing room out the way, pop a dry t shirt on and then carry on getting dressed in the normal mens changing room. and nobody was any the wiser.

My main concern was the bag falling off or becoming loose in the water but if anything it was the opposite. It's never come off but I always ended up changing it when I get home just because it's a bit uncomfortable once it's been soaking wet and dried.

I'd say go for it. You won't look back :)

[Nyx]I go in my hot tub all the time, and I have been swimming. I have pic on here of me in my bathing suit, and you can't even see Oscar. I've never had a problem with anything 'falling off' or anything like that. I just get out of the water, change my bag (I hate a wet bag!), and blow dry my flange on the low setting.
Hi Nyx :)

Yeah I can see it being a little bit more discreet because of the bathing suit. And I suppose it also depends on how high you have your stoma.
Thanks for sharing.

I too blow dry my bag when it gets wet also :lol:

[robbo87]I went swimming quite a lot at one point, I haven't been for a while now and quit my gym due to an incident but that wasn't anything to do with my stoma.

It was something I used to love doing and when I got my stoma thought I'd never do again. But eventually I found the courage to give it a try and Loved it. I wear like a waistband to keep my bag secure and then a rash type t shirt. It probably did attract a bit of attention to myself being a man but no one seemed to bat an eyelid, I'd get myself dry in a disabled changing room out the way, pop a dry t shirt on and then carry on getting dressed in the normal mens changing room. and nobody was any the wiser.

My main concern was the bag falling off or becoming loose in the water but if anything it was the opposite. It's never come off but I always ended up changing it when I get home just because it's a bit uncomfortable once it's been soaking wet and dried.

I'd say go for it. You won't look back :)
Thanks for sharing Robbo :)

That's really encouraging.

I have a two and three year old daughters and would love to be able to take them swimming. I know nobody will be looking, but it just seems like a barrier I have put up for so long, I don't know how to just do it. Ironically I go to the gym religiously and have no qualms or issues with that.

I'm going to set myself a goal of going swimming with the girls during the summer holidays. I'm sure once I do it for the first time it will not even be an issue.

Terriernut

I swim now, with the stoma. I didnt BEFORE I had Stan for many years. Why, well hard to run to the loo, strip off a wet bathing suit, and make it in time. (yes, you can guess what happened)

Dont forget tegaderm tape if you want to feel more secure.

[Terriernut]I swim now, with the stoma. I didnt BEFORE I had Stan for many years. Why, well hard to run to the loo, strip off a wet bathing suit, and make it in time. (yes, you can guess what happened)
Hi Terriernut :)

Yeah, we've all got those stories. The fact you decided to venture back into the pool after such an experience says a lot about the strength of character many with a stoma seem to have. Good for you.

Dont forget tegaderm tape if you want to feel more secure.
Will do : ) Thanks

ameslouise

Dmac - I asssume you are woman? Sorry if I am wrong!

Lots of bathing suit options out there that are good for camoflauging a bag! I have found several that work for me (two pieces are generally easier IMO). It's understandable to be nervous or unsure the first time, but you'll build up your confidence after the first time and you don't have any issue.

Good luck!! - Amy

Hi ameslouise :)

lol.. I am very much all man. Gosh, maybe my posts are giving the impression I'm not. DMac is a rather ambiguous username. So its an easy mistake to make.

So your bathing suit advice, as good as it was, will not be particulary applicable to me :lol2:

But thanks for posting anyway. All the best.

ameslouise

LOL, sorry about that! I haven't been around much lately and may have missed any posts that might have clued me in to your gender!!

I'm sure you will find some swim outfit that will work for you - perhaps board shorts and a swim shirt?

Good luck!! - Amy

What i do is tuck my bag in my shorts, and then carry my 4 year old daughter into the pool.
Once your in the water no-one can actually see.
Admittedly i do look a bit like Simon Cowell as i pull my board shorts up a bit higher than is probably socialably acceptable :lol:

Go for it. Maybe stick a couple of extra flanges around the edges. I have even taken both my girls on my own which i thought i would never be able to do.
I do get a few stares at my 9" scar down my tum tho, buy hey ho.

Good luck and let me know how you get on.

Chris

I would like to go swimming but don't have the energy at the moment.
Will defo go when I can though. I think it about the only exercise I could do!

Will let you know how it goes

Hi all, I had a stoma installed Dec. 2013 due to bowel cancer, (all clear as of June 2014 thank God). I was determined not to let it stop me doing anything. Re swimming try stealth belt (Google Stealthbelt I can't post the link on this site). I have done a load of swimming with one of these, they are very discreet and rise just above your board shorts or girls swimmers. Here in Australia in between chemo sessions I did quite a few ocean swim races and just wore the lycra swim shorts (Speedo water boy) with a Stealthbelt. There was no need for a shirt or such. I used it for surfing and body surfing with great success. It tends to provide more support to stop the bag dislodging too.

I have also just started irrigating which is far more manageable than a bag. Not sure if you can do it with surgery post Crohn's, I think it only works for lower bowel operations. After a few messy false starts I have managed to get it fairly right. I use the Coloplast Plug and then Coloplast curved tape to hold it on properly, i.e. prevent poo explosions right when you are in the middle of dinner. Charming this whole stoma business isn't it?

When I had my colostomy I had a rubber cover deal. It went over your tummy and had a little valve that you sucked the air out with. It usually worked pretty well and kept the water out. It was a specialty item found online made by Dry Pro. It feels like a rubber inner tube and is flesh color

I go swimming a lot both in the ocean and in swimming pools. I buy bathers that have a stomach support panel inside, which keeps my bag in place, and a draped or pleated front, which disguises the bag. I find that patterned materials are better than plain for not showing up what is underneath. (I've even been naked - except for my bag - in hot pools in Japan. :eek2:)

Don't let your stoma stop you from doing things that you enjoy.