• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Good juicer recipes needed!

My husband bought me a juicer!! I should get it tomorrow, I'm going to go buy some fruits and veggies tonight!

Anyone have any good recipes? I tend to have a bit of a sweet tooth, but I need to drastically change my diet. I am finishing my antibiotics today for SIBO, and from everything I've read, it can (and probably will), return. It seems like the only thing I can do is cut out the bacteria's food source. :frown: I am a carb addict.

I still can't do most raw fruits and veggies, everything comes out pretty much the same as it goes in and I don't want to risk an obstruction or something.

I am really excited to start juicing, I need to do something to boost my energy level. It's almost camping/hiking/swimming/biking time here, and I barely have the energy to walk to the mailbox.

Thanks to everyone in advance!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I got a juicer last summer and I love it! I had a thread about it awhile back, if you do a search you should find quite a few juicer threads with recipes. And hopefully juice is as easy on your tummy as it is on mine. I can't do a lot of fresh fruits or veggies either, but I can do fresh juice easily. It has never upset my tummy even on iffy days! Store-bought juice does upset me, I'm thinking it must be the added sugar or other additives. But fresh juice from my juicer is always safe for me.

I have a sweet tooth too, and I've found that putting an apple into any veggie juice will sweeten it and you'll mostly taste apple. Cherries seem to have a similar effect, you only need a few and it'll turn the juice red and all you'll taste is cherries, regardless of what else is in there! Be wary if you try ginger in your juicer, use a VERY SMALL amount or it'll be so overpowering that you won't be able to drink it! My husband made that mistake, he put some ginger into the juicer, took a swig, and exclaimed, "Ahhh! My throat is burning!" If you want to do ginger, my recommendation is, juice your ginger separately and then add just a little bit to your fruit/veg juice. You can always add more but you can't take it out if it's too much, and it's really easy to do too much ginger!

As far as recipes, a really easy and tasty one for me is to throw some carrots and one apple in the juicer, then add a touch of ginger. It's sweet and spicy and it just tastes like health. It's hard to describe but fresh juice is just so much better than anything store-bought. It's like eating veggies and fruit without the fiber or pain!

I wish you luck with your new purchase! Happy juicing! :)

I've been juicing a lot, and I just started putting what I had (and what I could taking from the dining hall at college) through, adding everything I thought could possibly be juiced. Apples add sweetness to just about anything; it even made kale/spinach juice taste pretty good. Ginger is also great, but definitely add just a little bit at a time.

I was going to suggest carrot/apple/ginger too, Cat--it's so good!

Thanks guys! My husband had a juicer a long time ago, and he's been talking about it forever. He really likes carrot juice. I looked up some recipes, think I'll just go buy some fruits and veggies and start experimenting!

The carrot-apple-ginger was one I ran across a few times, good thing I asked someone here or I would've made them according to recipe-way too much ginger!

You can combine alot of things including vegetables and fruits together. Yes, in the same juice. I like to be creative, so just toss together a few things.

What type of juicer? I'm in love with store brand V8...I can't eat lettuce or kale or spinach but its in the juice and I tolerate it fine and feel soooo great with the vitamin boost. Id like to get a juicer, but I dunno what's good...

hawkeye

Staff member
There was a juicer thread sometime in the past year here - not sure if it dealt with recepies or brands of juicers.

We bought a Breville Juice Fountain, it is a 700W. Kind of noisy, but works fantastically! Easy to take apart, clean and put back together, several parts are dishwasher safe but I always hand wash mine.

My husband bought it on Amazon for $99, two days later it was listed at $160! We got lucky!!

Store bought juice tastes nothing like fresh juice made in a quality juicer. Remeber, after 10 minutes or so, the essentials begin to dissipate(just like fruit sitting out after cut). I drink one or two glasses a week. More when flaring.

Hello,

I became a 'juice bore' some years ago after reading a book by Jason Vale 'Juicemaster' - really inspirational and explains the concept of fresh vegetable juice superbly.

Rob