• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Good ol' BM's

Sorry for such a lovely topic. But I am 3 weeks into azathioprine (100mg day) and I also take entocort steroids (for months now but hopefully only until aza kicks in completely) along with tramadol and other unrelated pills for other illnesses.
But heres my question, I for the first time in years (probably 6 years) am having solid or mostly solid BMs! Could this mean aza is working and my crohns is getting better?
I had horrendous constipation with codeine so I was put on tramadol and it stopped that so could it also be abit of constipation? I dont have horrendous bloating and pains like I used to with the codeine constipation. That even showed on xrays (how embarressing!).

I must admit having to push a little is a new one on me and also kicks my heart and cfs off. But worth it if my crohns is getting better!

When I am at the gi I am always asked whether my bm is solid or what the consistency is . Since yours are solid, I would guess your Crohns is getting better. That is great.

Oh my god really!? Thank you for that, ive waited years to get some improvement. I had no idea if solids meant that or not. :-D

scottsma

Don't apologise hahaha. BMs are usually the main topic of conversation on here.
And sad as it is,we're all interested. Glad you're seeing an improvement.

Lol we are unique arent we scottsma. I dont even tell my family or friends but I do to people here hehe. My GI said I have quite severe crohns due to being left untreated for 8 years, then another year while tests were done (thanks to various docs refusing to test for anything). I have a long stricture in my terminal ileum and another one in a place beginning with D, I forget the name. But thankfully the strictures are just about ok to be treated with medication he said. Any longer and itd be dead tissue or scarring. All my crohns is in my small intestine. To be honest he talks as if I know things a lot but ive learnt most things by googling the words on my letters and going on here!

Wow I was type 7 for the last 7 years, on meds since feb ive been type 6 or 7 and now im either a 3 or 4! I love that theres a scale. Reminds me of that old site years ago rate my poo lol!

Sorry for such a lovely topic. But I am 3 weeks into azathioprine (100mg day) and I also take entocort steroids (for months now but hopefully only until aza kicks in completely) along with tramadol and other unrelated pills for other illnesses.
But heres my question, I for the first time in years (probably 6 years) am having solid or mostly solid BMs! Could this mean aza is working and my crohns is getting better?
It doesn't seem like Aza would work that fast. I've been on it for 6 weeks, and on Budesonide/Entocort for about 10 weeks; 9mg, then 6mg, now 3mg. After 3 weeks of the Budesonide my BMs did get a lot better and I was almost normal. But with reducing the dose it has got a little worse again, and certainly feels like it's creeping back. So for me at least I'm sure the Aza isn't doing anything yet. The consultant said at least 3 months, so with any luck it will.

Duodenum is the word you're after; that's the other end of the small bowel. By the time I was diagnosed my TI stricture was already way past saving and surgery was the only option, so I hope it works out better for you.

Ahh thank you DEmberton, thats the name of it: Duodenum. Ive been on tapering entocort since feb and been down to the minimal 3mg since about mid march and found I had no change in BMs at all with them even though I did have a blissful time on the full 9mg, a good time on 6mg and 3mg has kept it better than it originally was and even my flare up wasnt as tortureous. Ive not seen a difference in BM's until ive started feeling abit better on my aza. Hopefully it is working but im really worried to go off the steroids as thats the only thing thats worked well instantly so far. But well see how it goes when its fully kicked in. How long would it be where I know its just not working enough?

Ahh thank you DEmberton, thats the name of it: Duodenum. Ive been on tapering entocort since feb and been down to the minimal 3mg since about mid march and found I had no change in BMs at all with them even though I did have a blissful time on the full 9mg, a good time on 6mg and 3mg has kept it better than it originally was and even my flare up wasnt as tortureous. Ive not seen a difference in BM's until ive started feeling abit better on my aza. Hopefully it is working but im really worried to go off the steroids as thats the only thing thats worked well instantly so far. But well see how it goes when its fully kicked in. How long would it be where I know its just not working enough?
Wish you the best

There's recipes around for a Bristol Poo Scale cake, apparently it's made fairly frequently by nurses for their friends for various celebrations 💩
I'm glad aza is working for you, long may it continue.
Bunty x

Thank you both. Its hard sometimes to tell if its working well because its been so long and I have so many other things, I dont know what itd feel like being well! Its hard for me to judge. Is it if I felt nothing in my stomach at all? No pain, aches, bloating, unsettled, full to burst etc. Is that even possible in remission? To not feel any of it? Or is remission just no pain?
Im sorry I just find it hard to know when ive reached a point of 'its working, stay on this' type of thing. Lol.