• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Good things about an ostomy

After reading the poop sample discussion in the General Discussion area I realized that although I haven't had to do such a thing, at least by myself, but now that I have an ostomy all I'd do is hand them my bag and let them deal with it.haha

Good point, Jeff! I hadn't thought of the dreaded poop sample as an advantage. I hadn't got further than the bowel prep being a thing of the past, potentially!

Nyx

I had to do the bowel prep, but it wasn't as bad for some reason...the leaning over the toilet was a bit uncomfortable though...lol The scope was pretty good too...no rolling on your side and presenting your ass...lol

My bowel prep was to not eat the day before. It was the best prep I've had.haha I still have to roll on my side since I've got my colon still in there but I'm knocked out so what do I care.lol

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
All I know is that I am set for road trips. Never need to find a bathroom, just have them pull over at the side of the road and hand me a stack of napkins. Never need to find a gas station.

My bowel prep is easy too as I don't have a large colon. I drink Miralax mixed with 7 UP and it goes through me within 2 hrs. No pain and I am done. I get the small bowel series and it's done in less than 2 hours at the hospital and I go home.

Summer time I put ice cubes in the bag to cool me off. Winter time, the bag generates heat. So there are some advantages. I don't live in the bathroom 24/7 and my butt isn't sore and red anymore. I do NOT miss those days like when I was in high school where I did my home work on the john and slept there most nights.

I didn't have a choice in getting my ileostomy. It was life or death but looking back, I wish I had the choice....I would've said please give me my life back NOW.

Von, that's just gross.lol I still always try to find a restroom and if possible I try and sneak my syringe with me and fill it with water to clean out the pouch.

Gutless, you never cease to amaze me with good things about an ostomy.haha I never would have thought to put ice cubes in my bag. I don't think I'd do it but it's still on my mind.haha

Thanks for making me laugh guys

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
Jeff, you say it's gross, but the states does not have the same amount of open space or desolate highways that Canada does. Wait 3 hours and hope to find a rest stop, or pull over and duck behind some bushes?

Ah, I get you. I'd probably do the same then. For some reason I just imagined pulling over in the middle of a city opening the bag and being on my way all the while leaving the present behind. Now it is not gross at all in your definition. It did make me laugh though :)

ameslouise

I just completed a ten day road trip and it was AWESOME!!! No clenching and praying, easy to make it between rest stops.

No bowel prep, no fear of colon cancer, no hemroids, no pain, no accidents... I can go on and on.

The only issue I have had to deal with to date is dehydration. This heat is getting to me and if I don't drink tons of gatorade, smartwater or propel, I feel like crap.

Other than that, most days I don't even think about it.

- Amy

Terriernut

I'm having a flare. Running to loo? Noooooooooooooo nahahaaaa!!!!

All chillaxed here. Course the pain etc is the same, but the lack of loo trips is AWESOME!!! Now, if I can get rid of that pesky stricture, the night sweats, hot flushes, foot cramps and pain...well, wouldnt I be just the happy little miss peachy!!! :ybatty: