• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Gout Problems and Crohn's

Having a lot of problems with my feet (big toes, arches and heels), caused by Gout my doctor says. Someone told me the Crohn's surgery on my Ileum took out the part of my intestines that helps to absorb the Uric acid. So, I've got to be careful of eating or drinking even more things now. Anyone know of any natural treatments to Gout other than using steroids? I heard something called Uricelax is real good.

David

Co-Founder
Eat cherries and if you can find it, drink pure cherry juice (not the crap that is 93% apple juice, 6% sawdust, 1% cherry juice that they call cherry juice). It will make a HUGE difference. And as always, organic is superior.

Gout

I've been taking Allopurinol for at least 5 years for gout issues linked to missing too much colon (along with stones, D, etc). Side effect is it might make me sleepy so I take them with my evening handul of pills

Thanks for the information. I'll check out Allopurinol, is it very expensive, I kind of cash strapped right now? I see that you've getting B-12 shots too. My surgery was in the Ileum area. Still must be the same in terms of causing Uric acid build up. Thanks again,
Jim

Cost

Thanks for the information. I'll check out Allopurinol, is it very expensive, I kind of cash strapped right now? I see that you've getting B-12 shots too. My surgery was in the Ileum area. Still must be the same in terms of causing Uric acid build up. Thanks again,
Jim
Insurance covers mine - $10 per three months. But it's supposed to be cheap.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
The only precaution with Allopurinol is if you are on Imuran/6MP it will enhance it effects, so the dose of these drugs needs to be reduced.

Dusty. :)

I am currently trying Glucosamine for joint pain. Plus I take tylenol arthritis (works for 8 hrs). There are days when I wish I could take something stronger but afraid to go that route as I would want the narcotics to work when I really need them. Thanks for the tip on cherry juice! I'm going to try that!

David

Co-Founder
I am currently trying Glucosamine for joint pain. Plus I take tylenol arthritis (works for 8 hrs). There are days when I wish I could take something stronger but afraid to go that route as I would want the narcotics to work when I really need them. Thanks for the tip on cherry juice! I'm going to try that!
If your joint pain is due to gout, cherry juice can definitely help. If not, you may want to look into vitamin D.