• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Gout

Oh Also - I have been doing some reading on this site and others about gout - and I have found that approx 2/3 uric acid is excreted by kidneys and 1/3 by "bowel" - well they say bowel, but they did not say which part and they are still figuring that bit out. They are still figuring out how the 'extra-renal elimination of uric acid works (google this for more info)

I also didn't know that most of the uric acid is returned to the body as it is an Antioxidant.
So if your kidneys are being too efficient - this can also be the cause of a uric acid build up leading to gout!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Those that have ileal disease with scarring or resections are at a much greater risk of developing kidney stones as they have the potential to have higher circulating blood levels of uric acid.

The distal ileum is the area of the bowel where uric acid is normally absorbed back out of the blood stream and into the bowel for it to be excreted.

Dusty. :)

Thanks Dusty:)

I find this really interesting - As yet I am undiagnosed - awaiting colonoscopy next month. I am looking into this as I saw someone mention it on another thread and have put two and two together - probably prematurely...!

I occasionally get gout - but am 'only' 29 - started when I was 27/28. My Grandad got it too - though he was much older. I was put on low dose asprin when I was pregnant, (as they were concerned about my migraines and the increased risk of pre-elampsia, and at the time my blood pressure was a little high - turns out it was cause my brother had died- a story for another day- and it went down again) I could not stay on the low dose asprin as I got the gout within a few days. My D has been an issue for a few years, but resumed with a vengance 6 weeks after my daughter was born so this was all around the same time...:confused2:

I would assume from this that something screwy is going on with my uric acid levels - I wonder if the GI would test for this? My kidney function has always been great.

Anyway - the reason I started looking at this is because I was researching Crohn's medications in case I get slammed with a diagnosis while I am away from home and have to make some quick decisions (I like to have a plan where poss!) and I was wondering if the 5-ASA's (being similar to asprin) would have the same effect? - Have you heard of anyone with this?

I suppose if I need to I can just try it and would find out soon enough.

There are other factors that I would have to remember to tell my GI too - Sulfur / sulfite/ sulfate allergy, and family history of basil cell carcinomas.
'Medical baggage' eh - I suppose most of us have some:)

But I am jumping too far ahead and need a diagnosis first...

Knowing me it will be the 'its all in your head' or IBS options of response so I'm not keeping my hopes up - That sounds really stupid -actually 'wanting' a diagnosis of CD. But I am sure you know what I mean:ybatty:

I though that this was interesting too...

"70% of the daily excretion of uric acid with the remainder being eliminated in the gut, skin, hair, and nails. In the gut, bacteria degrade uric acid into carbon dioxide and ammonia, which are either reabsorbed or released as intestinal gas.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1831527/#!po=17.1875
Uric Acid Nephrolithiasis: Recent Progress and Future Directions
Tin C Ngo and Dean G Assimos, MD

Maybe I just need to exfoliate more!

Thanks again Dusty - Mini vent over!