• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Granulomatous proctitis

Hi people,

I recently had a colonoscopy for what I thought was for haemhorroids. My symptoms were blood sometimes and mucus discharged when walking around. The haemhorroids were treated and my symptoms improved after my colonoscopy. When I went back for biopsy results the doc said I have Granulomatous proctitis of the rectum only and possibly caused by Crohn's disease. I was gobsmacked when he said this. I didn't believe him. Now I never suffered from nausea, very rarely diarreha and have not suffered weight loss. I actually have gained weight! The doc put me on asacolon mesaline 500mg three times a day. When I started taking these I developed discomfort on my lower left abdomen. I never had this feeling before. I still am not convinced I have Crohn's disease. My doc is not a GI either and this has me sceptical.

Anyone got a similar story or thoughts?

SarahBear

Welcome to the forum!

May I ask why you haven't been referred to a GI? Who did your colonoscopy? In your situation, I would absolutely request a referral to a GI, especially since you're not confident in your doctor's findings.

What do you think is causing the proctitis?

Thanks for your reply!

I am from ireland and this is the way business is done here. (Very badly). The doctor that did the colonoscopy is a surgeon in my local hospital. Stress could be a factor in my proctitis but the fact Granulomas were present would indicate crohns. Maybe I'm wrong. I will ask to see GI the next time I see my doc in a months time

Can you get a copy of your biopsies? You may want to take that and other tests to a GI. from what I know, and I am not a Doctor or an expert. Granulomas may appear with yersinia, Intestinal TB, cancer or Crohn's, usually the biopsies will say which one is present but not always. Just to add, not everybody has the same symptoms or looses wight. I really hope your Doctor is wrong, but to be on the safe side, see a second opinion. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome to the community. As araceli alluded to, presence of granulomas does not always indicate Crohn's disease. The key here is to get to a proper gastroenterologist who can begin the process necessary to find out exactly what is going on so you can get proper treatment. It may be a bit of a journey, but it is extremely important that you get a proper diagnosis.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks for reply David,

Would you have any idea why I would have discomfort on my lower left side? It started only when I began taking the asacolon medication and is still present when I am not on it?

David

Co-Founder
When you say it is not present when you are on it, how long are you off of it for?

Do you by chance have the biopsy report from your colonoscopy?

I was off med for two weeks. I don't have colonoscopy report but in said I had inflammation in the rectum which was proctitis and there were granulomas in this according to the hispathology results.

David

Co-Founder
There wasn't any inflammation elsewhere? Were they able to view the terminal ileum?

Did they test for STDs (no offense by asking that) as some can cause those symptoms.