• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

*graphics warning* Case study for UC patients on supplements

Bufford

This is why I have a deep respect for herbal suplements. I was on Turmeric for too long and I had to go off due to cardio issues. I only take turmeric rarely and for short term use ( a couple of days at most) to reduce a flare.

Herbal is very potent. The problem is I don't know what the nature provides that works for me. It's like doing this one-person trial, funded by me, forever..

and also consider different forms....like liposomal encapsulation used in the patent version longvida (which crosses blood/brain im told)
or fractionated ones, like the curowhite

...it does make me think to stop taking the normal version tho, which i happen to already did unintentionally

How do you make your own extracts? :D
Boil the herbs in water about 45 minutes on high, then strain with strainer, then again with coffee filter. Then I boil them down into a thick liquid so I can put that into empty gelatin capsules with a dropper. ill make 7 day supply, and store the rest in the fridge.

I never take dry extracts in the pills they sell, I guess I believe everything is supposed to be exposed to heat, it usually destroys toxins, this is generally why humans use fire to cook most foods. Only fruit is really meant to be eaten raw. And again, take in morning before meals sometimes with small amount of food, 20-30 minutes later your stomach should be empty, and you can eat a meal. The fibers from turmeric i think aren't digested well so straining them in a coffee filter makes it more effective.

I've had many issues with the dry alcohol extracts in pills they sell, and many times absorption is an issue, then i read some studies that say exposing to heat increases absortion, and even other molecules in the plant help with absorption, so trying to extract one phytochemical from the plant, sounds sophisticated and like it might be better, but not always. And maybe eventually these issues will be worked out and they will develop an actual drug from the natural plants, but that's like 20 years from now if even it ever happens, so this is my contribution thus far. Turmeric and green tea are good herbs to try, also basil. I take about 1/4 tsp of turmeric, 2 bags of green tea and like 1/4 tsp of basil for a daily dose, you could make it stronger but it will take a lot of pills since its liquid.

while I think this helps me a bit, i cant say it's all that strong, nor will i promise that it will help anyone all that much, but safe to try.

Boil the herbs in water about 45 minutes on high, then strain with strainer, then again with coffee filter. Then I boil them down into a thick liquid so I can put that into empty gelatin capsules with a dropper. ill make 7 day supply, and store the rest in the fridge.

I never take dry extracts in the pills they sell, I guess I believe everything is supposed to be exposed to heat, it usually destroys toxins, this is generally why humans use fire to cook most foods. Only fruit is really meant to be eaten raw. And again, take in morning before meals sometimes with small amount of food, 20-30 minutes later your stomach should be empty, and you can eat a meal. The fibers from turmeric i think aren't digested well so straining them in a coffee filter makes it more effective.

I've had many issues with the dry alcohol extracts in pills they sell, and many times absorption is an issue, then i read some studies that say exposing to heat increases absortion, and even other molecules in the plant help with absorption, so trying to extract one phytochemical from the plant, sounds sophisticated and like it might be better, but not always. And maybe eventually these issues will be worked out and they will develop an actual drug from the natural plants, but that's like 20 years from now if even it ever happens, so this is my contribution thus far. Turmeric and green tea are good herbs to try, also basil. I take about 1/4 tsp of turmeric, 2 bags of green tea and like 1/4 tsp of basil for a daily dose, you could make it stronger but it will take a lot of pills since its liquid.

while I think this helps me a bit, i cant say it's all that strong, nor will i promise that it will help anyone all that much, but safe to try.
Oh wow, I have to say this is all new to me. Thanks for sharing! I see the turmeric roots in the market but never knew what to do with it. This definitely sounds much safer and "cleaner" than taking the giant pills from the health foods stores.

Scipio

It's like doing this one-person trial, funded by me, forever..
Yup, that's the supplement approach in a nutshell. You never know if you are taking too much, not enough, or whether the herb is safe in the first place.

That doesn't mean I never take supplements. I do use a few, but only ones with a long track record of very few reported side effects.

Yup, that's the supplement approach in a nutshell. You never know if you are taking too much, not enough, or whether the herb is safe in the first place.

That doesn't mean I never take supplements. I do use a few, but only ones with a long track record of very few reported side effects.
i think this used to be true.....but in modern times, we have quite a variety of standardized, patented versions....which are produced consistently by specific techniques which are often not secret....

if things are looked at as equal brand to brand, by a novice, it could be more dangerous certainly.....i sort of feel its one of the first things i looked at tho before considering taking a list of things...like anthocyanins......many sources.....but how many will tell us a standardized number we can use as a consistent marker...certainly not any majority...but definitely the stuff i take.

dosage on the other hand of course its harder to say, but toxicity data is often available and often much higher than whats taken....overdosage and adverse effects like its mentioned in this topic, can be checked up by labs and physical symptoms even.....which is similar as prescription stuff really...

there are quite a few legit studies online about various substances having a healthy influence on inflammation, tnf-a, etc......they cant point blank put it in a sterile context to cure us all, but the data means something to me as something to benefit by incorporating...especially given the horrific sustained success rates of modern treatments......

it seems convenient to say like, oh well yes humira often fails by 1 year etc, but thats for lots of reasons....unchallenged.....but the reason they can get away with saying that about supplements so easy seems like because diet has too many factors... e.g. boswelia + macdonalds......vs humira + macdonalds will come up in the field and of course humira is more powerful......but so will boswelia + some super strict blah blah with extra blah blahs and whatever, but we cant even talk about that because that same point above......like we are all one man trials vs big pharm....

there is plenty of fear to go around really......i think the thing is keeping it in context and within a range of what a patient can practically do....