• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Growing old quickly

Greetings, I'd just been diagnosed with ulcerative proctitis 2 months ago with a colonoscopy and not really getting better with the pentasa suppositories, Salofalk granules and Colifoam.
So I found this forum and it's been a great help finding other folk with the problems. - and a great worse than mine.
I just thought the odd bit of blood and discomfort was from overdoing it at work for quite a while- I'm a gardener and labourer. I lift heavy things and also had/have trouble when I'm bending and squatting all day fitting up irrigation pipes, etc. Doctors thought it was a fissure or a prolapse. -got rushed to emergency one trip.
Being 48 and almost hyperactive with a partner ten years younger and most people thinking I'm in my thirties- now I feel like I'm 58 and one look in the mirror and yeah I look old. Most days at work I can only last to lunch break and I'm cactus- worn out or if I pass a stool in all its gory glory the pain is to much to go on.
I'm confused as to diet- love food and keep a diary, love the grog and after work knock back a few beers and wine with dinner. Seems like at the lower end what goes in the top end shouldn't matter too much. So long as I don't get gassy.
The getting down about it is the worst and it having an impact on the person I love and have a life with. And the time away from work. And the struggle to get through the Uni degree course I'm working on- if i could I'd just love to be able to rest for a month and take it easy. Any advice would be welcome.
Cheers.
Final note -Pentasa supps- anyone else have trouble with them? I cannot believe those little sharp edges on them -thinking seriously of taking a nail file to them- it feels like they are scrapping off the walls of my poop chute once breaking through the rusty sheriffs badge.
Cheers - Kenneth.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Hi and welcome to the forum!!!:welcome:

I too have Ulcerative Proctitis (as you can see) and it can sure be a challenge. It does get pretty exhausting especially when you're not feeling up to snuf. What concerns me though, is your many beers and wine. I know many here don't do well with alcohol. Given, we're all adults here and I'm not here to judge!!! :hug:

I hope you'll check out our Ulcerative Colitis forum on here! There are quite a few of us in there who have Ulcerative Proctitis as well. Plus, can also relate to your supps. Most nights I can admit to saying, "ouch" as mine goes in. Feel free to look around and please let me know if you have any questions. Take care.

Thanks Cross-stitch Gal- I keep a food/grog/poo diary and eliminating things from the diet as a try and see. I have read on the forum that alcohol of various types affects some people- so I'll try abstinence sometime soon as part of the plan. I enjoy a beer especially after work in summer- working outdoors in summer up to and over 40 degree Celsius- but also as a relaxant after enduring pain all day.
One thing that irks me is how lacking in energy I am. The days seem really long and I just want to sleep. It's so not me. We eat well- varied and we grow a lot of our own fruit and veg. My partner is a nurse and nurse teacher at uni so luckily I have good support. I'm a fan of chickpeas,but anything that gets me gassy, like others, is just eye wateringly uncomfy. So with food it's just suck it and see.
Cheers- Der mann mit zwei Dackel...

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Sounds like you're doing well as far as your diaries and such! Sleep always sounds good to me! Glad to hear that you've got some great support there! But, understand about being gassy and such. But, we're here now too for ya. Please keep us updated on how you're doing.