• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Growling belly

hi everybody, I have CD in my ileum with strictures... and it's been 3 months the sounds I hear in my stomach/bowel are increasing.

I've told it to my doctors but they don't really comment...

It's very annoying, because I have the sensation there is something wrong inside. I'm wondering if it's because of my strictures, or my stomach that is a bit sick...

Anybody have similar symptoms, and do you worry about it?

Any advices or tips to reduce it?

I have the same as you - stricture at the terminal ileum and extremely loud growling. My doctor was also never concerned about the growling, but when he saw the stricture, he said that was probably the cause of the noise. His theory is that the noise happens when the food is trying to get through the stricture and that causes disruptions to digestion. Well, he said it differently, but that's my summary of what he said. :)

I can also feel the rumbling that goes along with the noise. It's so annoying to me personally and it's very embarrassing when others can hear it. It's so loud!! My mom said she's never heard anything like it. :(

Are you experiencing pain also? I did. The doctor put me on prednisone which got rid of my pain, but not the growling. That worried me because I thought I wasn't healed all the way. I was so disappointed and mentioned it to my doctor. Again, he didn't care. He was more focused on my pain being gone. I just started a biologic last week and he said that might help with the noises. Only time will tell.

I have not found any rhyme or reason to the growling with regards to food. Sorry, no tips. It's very frustrating. I eat mostly the same things every single day and some days I have no rumbling. Most days I do. I don't understand it. It sounds like gas, but I don't think that's what it is, so for me, products like GasX don't work. Avoiding gas-causing foods doesn't seem to make a difference. I've tried so much to no avail. If you figure it out, let me know. LOL.

Good luck! You have my sympathy. :hug:

Hi CallieS, yes you are right, in my case too it doesn't seem to be related to what I eat nor to the gas, so it's very confusing...

I dont exeperience much pain, but only some disconfort that sometimes get away when I hear noises, or things are moving.

It's very annoying, and everytime I hear the growling, i can't stop thinking about my strictures and my disease :(

Hi CallieS, yes you are right, in my case too it doesn't seem to be related to what I eat nor to the gas, so it's very confusing...

I dont exeperience much pain, but only some disconfort that sometimes get away when I hear noises, or things are moving.

It's very annoying, and everytime I hear the growling, i can't stop thinking about my strictures and my disease :(
I'm exactly the same, I have strictures in the TI and lots of rumbling, sometimes very loud. I have partial blockages quite regularly the last few months and the noise when one resolves!
I had a scope last week and the Dr couldn't get the scope through the last one which was holding up a lot of liquid. I'm now on new meds so hopefully the strictures aren't yet wholly made up of scar tissue and things will improve.

I've learnt to live with the growling and just ignore it. Most people around me and at work are used to it too:lol2:

Have you tried MM? I find it helps relax the bowel and reduce the growling which is a bonus when you need to sleep, and of course it hepls with that too:dog: