• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Gurgling guts

Alright...so I'm going on a week now that I have started Imuran. And the same day I started Imuran I tapered down to 3 mg of Entocort.

I've noticed the past few days that my intestines have been a bit more gurgly lately. I'm not really in pain, but it's still slightly uncomfortable. It's hard to describe the feeling. It's like the beginning feeling of a hunger pain (located in the area underneath my bellybutton), except it doesn't get any stronger. A few times at night I've actually had an audible noise coming from my guts. I'm not really used to having these types of noises without really bad pain that has usually resulted in a hospital visit. So, of course I can't help but worry that this is the beginning of another flare up.

So, today I put myself on a liquid diet to see if it would help anything. I think it has kind of been helping in the noise department, but I'm still getting that slight little uncomfortable gurgly feeling every once in a while. I haven't been eating anything unusual. I've been trying to stick to low fiber/low residue and haven't introduced any new foods. And I'm still going to the bathroom normally for me. So, I'm wondering if maybe tapering down to 3 mg/Entocort happened too soon since the Imuran hasn't had a chance to kick in.

So, I'm not sure what to do. Like I said, I'm not in pain, but I don't want it to get any worse. But I also don't know if maybe this is just something that happens with Crohn's. Any advice?

It is a little odd to hav tappered so early

my docs told me that immuran can take almost a month to actually kick in
so ud think they would of kept your other meds going for a while before tappering

maybe call ya doc an see what they say

I thought it was a bit odd as well, Rob. The GI nurse I talked to said based on my first blood tests they might tell me to stop taking the Entocort if it all looks alright. But, I think I'm going to mention how I've been feeling. I mean, at the least I think I might need to stick with it for a few more weeks. I almost wonder if I need to go back to 6 mg/day.

It's just hard to describe exactly what that feeling is since it's not really painful. Just annoying. Would that be a good enough reason for them to increase my dose again?

Nyx

My doctor actually said that Imuran takes about 3 - 6 months to become fully effective. I'd ask about getting back on a higher dose of Entocort for a while yet.

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
I've had these for decades. They're really quite audible, sounding like an asthmatic elephant. I've developed a sense of humor about them. Not much else I can do about it.

Hi Marisa,

I have these on and off. They were really quite persistent for a while after i was tapering the pred. My GI insisted they were not an issue. He said it was part of the healing process that my intestines were getting active again after being sluggish and blocked. I dunno, when I've had these there is no pain or D or C or anything, just embarrassing noises! I figured with no other symptoms it wasn't a big deal, except when it frightens the cats!!!

Well, I hope it's nothing. I really need to learn not to freak out about it because I'm sure it's not helping by stressing out. I threw in the towel and ate something after my tummy didn't seem to tolerate a smoothie very well. And surprisingly it felt better once I ate a turkey sandwich. Though now it's REALLY making some noises! I don't get it!

We'll see what the nurse says tomorrow. I have to call anyway to update her about my rash, which thankfully went away.

Thanks for all the support guys. I'm really hoping it's nothing.

It's a good sign for me that things are moving. I like to hear a bit of gurgle and clunk when I go to bed. Its when things go all quite I begin to worry.

Hi there,I've had those noises and every now and then they return. I've always had them without any pain. I was going to a natraopath at one stage who said it happens when something is changing in the gut. It's not always a bad thing. I'm now on pentasa and have found the noise to have reduced and almost disappeared. My noises where LOUD enough for my students to ask me if I was hungry? That was the funniest!

Regular Joe

Hi Marisa

I'm down with everyone else. Except I get those gurgles and churning pretty often. Like most have said, they're not painful, but they also come at times when I also cramp and have D, but the gurgles are in a different place. They are very loud and almost always get the dogs or cats looking at me in confusion. I just assumed it was a "Crohn's thing" because my girlfriend gets them too. One night we had them at the same time - think they were talking with each other.

Yeah...I'm trying hard not to worry too much about it, but I've never really had an in between being fine and being in the hospital. So, I'm hoping it's not the beginning of an obsstruction and maybe it's something I have to get used to. In either case I called the GI nurse to tell her what's been going on.

Last night the noises started getting a bit crazy and I did develop some pain. Not much...just like some sharp pains here and there. But weirdly enough it died down after I ate a sandwich. And this morning I'm back to being fine again. So, I don't know if it was gas pains or what. I did feel slightly bloated too.

UPDATE: So I just talked to the GI nurse. She said since I seem to be feeling alright today she didn't think it would be a reason to increase my dose again, but maybe delay the taper off of it completely since I still seem to be experiencing some symptoms here and there. She said she's going to talk to another doctor to confirm either way what he thinks about the situation (my GI is still out of town). So, I'm staying on 3 mg so far and will get my blood test this coming Thursday and we'll see how I'm doing on the Imuran. And hopefully they'll give me a couple more weeks at least on the 3 mg to give the Imuran a chance to work. I'll update again if she says anything different when she calls back.

Last edited: