• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

H1N1/Seasonal Flu Vaccine

Since most of us are on some type of immunosuppresant to treat our Crohns, I am interested in seeing how many of you have decided to get either the swine flu shot, seasonal flu shot, or both. I was on Remicade for awhile, and now am on Humira and 150mg of azathioprine, and decided to go ahead and get BOTH shots. My university was offering them for free to a very small amount of students (pregnant students, students in the health care field, and students with immune disorders or immunosuppressed) so I took advantage of that. Normally, when I was in remission and not on any medication, I had a very strong immune system, and was actually very opposed to flu vaccines because they tend to weaken your natural immunity. So, just curious to see how many of us that are immunosuppressed have received either or both shots!

I used to work in a lab and they offered it for free every year. It was recommended that every person in the lab participate in receiving it, due to the nature of the job of being exposed to all types of bacterias from the samples. I got it every year before from when i got diagnosed with crohns. I have not worked there in a year and was really contemplating to get it or not this year. I chose not to. I guess i will just wait and see what happens. I usually do not get colds and the flu though. Hopefully i will not jinx myself for this year by saying that lol.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
I got the seasonal vaccine...I will get the H1N1, if I get off my lazy bum and wait in line. My health plan just got the H1N1 in the office....I don't want to spend any more time in the hospital. My husbands insurance premiums went up because of me!!!

I ended up getting both the seasonal and H1N1 at the same time, luckily I didn't feel terrible afterward being risky and having both at the same time lol and my doc has scheduled another H1N1 jab for this Thursday just in case I didn't build up immunity to it, just not looking forward to the friggin painful arm after!

I have had the seasonal shot, but I can't seem to get the H1N1 lines up correctly with me Remi treatments. I was supposed to get it right in the middle of my Remi cycle - but I had that tonsillitis last week right when I was supposed to get the shot and had to wait a week - so now I can't get it! I guess I'll have to wait until January. I'm probably just going to keep waiting and waiting until flu season is over LOL!

Jennjenn said:
I used to work in a lab and they offered it for free every year. It was recommended that every person in the lab participate in receiving it, due to the nature of the job of being exposed to all types of bacterias from the samples. I got it every year before from when i got diagnosed with crohns. I have not worked there in a year and was really contemplating to get it or not this year. I chose not to. I guess i will just wait and see what happens. I usually do not get colds and the flu though. Hopefully i will not jinx myself for this year by saying that lol.
What sort of lab work did you do?
I want to work in a lab :)
I got the seasonal flu and havnt asked about H1N1 I cant rly be bothered now tbh! I'll see what happens!
x x x x

xX_LittleMissValentine_Xx said:
What sort of lab work did you do?
I want to work in a lab :)
I got the seasonal flu and havnt asked about H1N1 I cant rly be bothered now tbh! I'll see what happens!
x x x x
I worked in a lab that did testing on clinical research studies. It was interesting, but the hours were too demanding on my body.
Since you are at the University try to get into one of the prof labs with research that they conduct. If you do get accepted in by one of the prof, it is a great learning exprience to have while you are an undergrad. I worked with one prof while I was an undergrad and I learned so much. I feel that it also helped me get a job in the lab that I worked at also. They saw it as previous lab work experience.

I'm scheduled to get the flu vacine at work. I still need to find an H1N1 .. I asked my GI about it and because of being on Cimzia they actually recommend me getting them both. He also said if I get the H1N1 to get the shot, not the nasal as the nasal is still alive and could cause problems.

S

Sleepy

I got the seasonal flu one a while back and got the H1N1 this week when I went in for my B12 shot. I don't like the injections but sort of used to them now and haven't had any reactions before but the H1N1 has the whole top of my arm is red, sore and puffy, nothing serious though. Doctor recommended both and think it is worth it.

Hey Sleepy - do you notice lumpiness in your upper arm with a LOT of soreness? I had what you describe, plus heat and lumps develop after a pneumonia vaccine and when I went back to my doc to show him - they had to file a report with the CDC for an adverse reaction. He told me to never ever get another pneumonia vaccine. Just thought I'd put that out there just in case.