• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Had small bowel resection surgery

So I had my surgery last friday. They had to open me up because I was so inflammed. I felt fine after the surgery while at the hospital. I had no pain there or a couple days when I came home. Wednesday my back was hurting so I slept on my left side. I woke in the middle of the night in some pain on my right side near the front hip. I took pain meds Thursday night and today I woke up in pain. Once I started walking it slowly went away but then I sat snd it came back. I called the doc and they said the anesthesia just wore off. Is this correct or did I pull my muscle? I see the doctor on wed.

Last edited:

valleysangel92

Staff member
It could very easily be that all the anesthesia and pain meds you were given in hospital just wore off. I noticed that when I was home and the morphine and anesthetic wore off I suddenly noticed the pain a lot more, plus at home you naturally do more, even just sitting in a chair requires the stomach muscles to work. You're still in the early days and it takes time to recover, any operation is a big shock to the system.
You could also be rolling onto your tummy in the night without realising it which would cause it to hurt. Additionally, you will have a lot of bruising which might be taking its time to come out and that can make it feel really sore too.

I don't think you should worry too much. Just take it easy, keep up the pain meds and let people fuss over you. Remember not to go lifting anything too heavy. I was told not to lift anything heavier than a kettle with one cups worth of water in it for the first 6 week's.
When you get up out of bed, push yourself up with your arms, don't just sit up, you need to do this for 3 months.

Give yourself time and don't push yourself to get better before you are ready. It is normal to feel sore after a major operation, as long as you don't get a fever, start vomiting or have pain that's extremely intense then there's not much to worry about.

valleysangel92

Staff member
Just adding, I get a lot of pain in my hip area when I'm on my period too, so yes this could also be a factor, since your insides will be pretty beaten from whats been done to them. I was warned that since I get painful periods anyway I could get even more pain in my next one, since I've been on the mini pill a while I don't get regular periods so I can't say if this was true for me.

valleysangel92

Staff member
Thank you for the response. I didnt realize how much stomach muscles a person uses.

It's very hard to rest the stomach muscles, even just breathing takes a lot of work, and after an operation they all have to reconnect and so do all the nerves.