• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hair loss

nogutsnoglory

Anyone else experience hair loss on methotrexate? It's only been a few weeks but I have patches of hair missing. Is this dose dependent? What is a good dose to be on where I won't lose as much.

nogutsnoglory

Thanks, I think some guys can pull it off but I think I'd look very sickly as a bald guy. If it happens ill deal but if it's a side effect of the med that can be prevented id like to stop or slow it down.

Hi, Grace lost a few hairs but nothing bad. She takes the shots.
How long have you been on it? Any other symptoms?

I've read on a couple threads where the hair loss and or other side effect were bad enough that the dose of mtx was lowed a bit to see if it made a difference.

Hi there, some of the meds can leach certain mineral and vitamins out of the body. A couple that seems to come to mind is folic acid B9 and B12. By the way, B9 is not stored in the body and is replaced daily.
Both or either being low can contribute to hair loss, depression, increased d, fatigue, soar swollen tongue, etc.
So ask your Dr. if you need to be checked for being low or if you can properly supplement.
Also as I am sure by now you will know I am going to post a possibly natural remedy. I stumbled on this by chance btw. Organic virgin coconut oil* I use it on my skin everyday and wow it has made a difference, now the added benefit recently noted was I had my hair in a towel and at the front hairline I noticed new hair growth - and much of it.It is currently about 1 1/2 inches long. Since I have been using the coconut oil on my face and I do go to the hairline it made a difference. I have been using the coconut oil for approx. 8 months. I was shocked but pleased. Just a thought for you.

Peace to you ;)

nogutsnoglory

Thanks If i wanted to look into natural ways to stimulate growth. My b12 and Folic acids levels are good and I do supplement daily. I'll give coconut oil a try.

A little amount goes a long ways ~ it was not a perk I had expected. I hope it will help you too! It took time so hang tight.
I was telling my hub that lately when I go for a check up I notice the Dr.s staring at my hair. Then a woman acquaintance I hadn't seen since early summer actually commented on my hair and said she thought it looked much thicker and at first thought I had a wig on. Then my hair stylist commented that my hair feels super healthy and way thicker. So something has helped and all I can think of is the coconut oil. I am by no means out of the woods for Crohn's behaving and am thinking of running the oil through my tract via ingestion ~ tiny amounts at a time. Just a little nervous that the d could increase and I work around the public often. The last thing I want is a pant load, lol. Heck, I might be able to grow hair in my intestines and surly that would have to slow the D (kidding)

It can be a blow to the psych when we start to look like we feel. Remember you are strong, not your illness and beautiful as you are.

Lady Organic

Staff member
hi I take methotrexate 20 mg injection weekly since 5 months. I too experience hair loss but nothing dramatic for now. Acid folic supplement MUST always be prescribed with methotrexate, do you take it?

I was orginally prescribed 10mg the day fallowing the injection and when I spoke about hair loss with my rheumy she suggested to put the dose at 15mg total, so I take a 5 mg pill 2 days prior injection and 10 mg the day after injection. Maybe it is helping, but I am not sure yet.

also the hair loss may be temporary in some patients.

nogutsnoglory

I'm on Folic acid and no steroids. Hope you are right that it's temp and will go away.

Day 3 of rubbing coconut oil on my scalp. It feels nice on the face too :)

Lady Organic

Staff member
ok, at 25mg thats pretty much the highest dose. I am not sure about men, but for average size women, 25mg weekly is the highest dose. I am at 20mg and I experience light hair loss.

how much folic acid do you take? (never to be taken on the day of injection or even day before)

do you take injections? They are much better than the pill version for IBD. Absorption and disponibility for intestines is higher with metho injection.

are you trying methotrexate because you have arthritis as well?

that is the reason we switch from purinethol to metho in my case, but unfortunately, metho has not worked for my arthritic symptoms. after 2 months, you should start to see if there is an improuvement in your condition.

nogutsnoglory

25mg by injection for crohn's to keep Remicade working and prevent antibody formation. I take 1mg of Folic acid daily, dr wants me to take on injection days too.

I had a series of 4 mtx 25 mg injections
My Gastro then switched me to 6 2.5 mg tabs taken as 1 dose once a week
I also take Folic acid 7 days a week

I have noticed a bit more hair in my brush, but nothing alarming

Tabs don't give me much symptom relief & I see the Gastro Fri & will try to convince her to put me back on injections

Her Nurse said my Doc only gives 4 injections & that's it

I'm new to all this just recently diagnosed after having symptoms for years
Arming myself with a list of questions & will let you know how it goes

Saw the Gastro today & she increased my mtx to 25 mg oral
I asked about the injection & she said to see how this goes, but told me to increase my Folic acid, as the oral makes you more prone to hair loss

Then she dropped the bomb & told me to be seen by my Rheumy yet again, as she's certain I have lupus too

I was tested & examined by 3 Rheumies just about a year ago for lupus
They have been trying to nail me with that for 30 years now
Even my Dentist has suggested it

Looks like Crohn's has invited a relative to move in :(

nogutsnoglory

Sorry to hear about the other health issues. These AI diseases like adding on.

My doctor doesn't think the MTX is causing hair loss because he said it's not at the chemo level. All I know is I lost a ton of hair since starting it.

Lady Organic

Staff member
hair loss is definately a well-known effect of methotrexate. I took other immuno-modulators inthe past, purinethol, Imuran and none of these provoked hair loss. methotrexate did for sure, but I must say I think now its improuving. I remember now at the beginning after maybe 2 months of treatment, I got very worried because I was losing so much hair especially during my shower. I had called my gastro pharmacist and she told me not to worry and that hair loss was often only temporary. It seems she was right. After my rheumy incresased my acid folic when I talkd to her about it. hopefully it will be temporary for you too.

I got bumped up from 10mg to 20mg via SubQ injection when I started showing some Crohn's activity. I noticed some initial hair loss, but it seemed to stop after 3 or 4 months.