• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hair loss

Dear friends,

I've used Imuran and 6-MP.
I am now on thioguanine/6-tg, it's the same/sister drug of the above.

I've taken it for 6 months now, and I'm still experiencing diffuse hair loss.
The hair loss is all over + thinning.
I've lost about half of my hair already.
It's more severe on my sideburns..it's creating bald patches there.
I've taken vitamins but that doesn't help.

For the people that have used Imuran/6mp;

--Does this hair loss ever stop?
--When did you experience hair regrowth?
I don't see any regrowth..

:sign0085:

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread but I will answer anyway. After my doctor recommended I take 1mg/day if folic acid I looked into why he said that. Imuran interferes with the bodies ability to absorb folic acid (as well as our lovely disease causing malabsorption) and low levels of folic acid can cause a type of anemia and lead to hair loss/thinning and early gray hair as well as fatigue, irritability, lethargy and other anemia symptoms. I would talk to your GI about it (if you haven't already, it's been a while since this thread was made) but folic acid supplements may be the way to go. I had gotten out of the habit of taking my folic acid and have recently been noticing thinning and more gray hairs these past few weeks. Folic acid supplements for me helped to slow down these side effects.

Edit: also note it can take up to a month or maybe a little longer to notice/feel the effects of taking folic acid.