• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hair thinning/loss anal fistula/abscesses IBS

I just signed up for the forum today. I am losing hair....badly. Thinning all over. The texture has changed dramatically. Pretty certain it is telogen effluvium.
I was convinced it was as a result of being diagnosed with ADHD/ADD & anxiety disorder and the medications I had began in August 2014. Because by the holidays 2014, my hair was noticeably thinner and breaking off. When I visited my psych doc, he assured me it is NOT a common side effect of my mess. He then asked me if I had any underlying medical conditions (only been told IBS), thyroid/hormonal issues (I am still on birth control) or gastrointestinal problems etc... Hmmmm gastro problems could be the Aha! Moment...

Last January of 2004 I had a perianal abscess. The abscess was drained, given a regimenloriann.little@gmail.com of antibiotics, told I had IBS, prescribed Bentyl and sent on my way. Ever since then I have had issues with diarrhea and some occasional seeping at the point of drainage. Fast forward to January 2015, an abcscess recurrence in same locay but MUCH MUCH worse and more painful. I Scheduled an appointment with the GI to have it drained however, it "spontaneously drained" on it's own, pain subsided and took antibiotics again. So, I cancelled and re-postponed the GI "drainage" appointment. I finally had an appt yesterday and told an anal fistula has formed (this cycle of abscesses will repeat itself indefinitely without surgery) My GI drained the new formation of the perianal abscess yesterday & I have surgery scheduled for next wed. Before he drained the abscess, he examined my anus & he could see endoscopically the fistula opening & draining inside the rectum. So a seton will likely be put in next wed. I began asking about my other symptoms ie bouts of diarrhea, recent blood and mucousy stools, my obvious incessant HAIR LOSS but he is more a colorectal surgeon whom said after repair and healing of my fistula...we could began testing. He said he didn't think it seemed or likely to be Crohn's. So I am not yet diagnosed with any IBD, only IBS. And I am only to take bentyl as needed so no GI meds or biologics or steroids to blame for this state of TE diffuse hair loss. It has been thinning since November 2014 but has REALLY gained steam and been falling MUCH more rapidly all through March. Does ANYONE know if fistulas/abscesses cause hair loss?? Or impede absorption of nutrients/vitamins?? It is NOT surgery trauma b/c my surgery isn't til next week! I want to know/hear from anyone who has experienced similar coincidences & if ANYTHING helped Please!

Hi,
I replied to you in the other thread you started here but hopefully more people will be along to give you their advice

In short, I think these symptoms could well point to Crohn's and the appropriate testing should be done to see if you should be diagnosed with Crohn's and treated.

The hair loss may be caused by Crohn's - while it's not that common acute episodes of IBD can be associated with telogen effluvium and acute hair loss. (source) Also in this paper they report a case of Crohn's ileocolitis presenting as chronic diffuse hair loss. Also another such case is described here.

I think it looks like an additional reason to consider that Crohn's might be the cause of all your symptoms.

Have you got an appointment with a GI? I think the best way forward is to get more testing done quickly and see if this is Crohn's (or if you have a different issues) so that you can start treatment quickly.

Good luck!