• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Happy Ending

Hi everyone

Not posted anything in a while but always checking out the threads and keeping up-to-date with what's going on with you all.

Just wanted you all to know about a personal achievement in my life..I've had Crohn's for the best part of 25 years now, diagnosed in 1990 after 2 years of symptoms. I was 23 years old, and 5 stone in weight.

A small bowel resection, 8 weeks in hospital and all the usual meds you are familiar with since then to keep me going. Life was good and I eventually managed (after years of trying) to gain permanent, full time employment in 2004 with a well-known UK Govt. Department. Not easy going with a health condition but I did it!

Things went well for a long time but in 2011 - after 18 months of recurring pain, diarrhoea and countless tests and procedures, it was decided by my consultant and surgeon that further surgery was required to remove two blockages and an area they thought was a tumour.

To cut a long story short, I had another small-bowel resection in November 2011, planned surgery to which my employer was fully informed. The surgery was something I hope to never experience again ever - I will not go in to detail as no two surgeries are the same and my personal experience was just that - personal to me. Recovery was slow, hindered by a massive wound infection shortly after I was discharged from hospital.

After a few months off work, I was informed by my front-line manager that the business could no longer support my absence. Throughout my career with this department, I fully informed them of all planned procedures and clinic appointments etc. regarding my illness. I subsequently saw a consultant - 6 months after my operation as my own consultant had left the unit and a replacement was not made. Only at this point was I prescribed medication (Questran sachets) to control the excessive diarrhoea I had suffered since surgery. Toilet trips in excess of a dozen times a day made it impossible for me to travel to work and maintain regular, effective service. Regardless of this, I was duly dismissed from my role by a manager who (obviously) had never taken a single day's sick leave in her entire career...this happened in May 2012.

I found this treatment by my employer to be utterly unfair and unjust and decided (after some weeks of deliberation) that I would not accept their decision and took the Department to court.

I attended court for 3 days in February this year, and to be honest, I found the experience to be one of the most harrowing of my life - I was made to feel like a criminal, like I was being accused of some wrong-doing. When my employer's witnesses took the stand, their arguments were weak, had no substance, and the judge made mincemeat of the lot of them. Their lawyer was ill-prepared, and it was glaringly obvious he didn't have much to go on. It was a catalogue of errors on my employers part. The guidance my managers had used was shown to be flawed and inconsistent, and the managers themselves were proven to be completely and utterly incompetent

On 27 March this year (one month before the judge anticipated his decision), I had a phone call from my lawyer to tell me that I had won my case! I took a massive government department to court and wiped the floor with the lot of them!

I have now been reinstated in my job and will be compensated in full for the salary I have lost over the past 7 months, with no break in my pension contributions and I now await a return-to-work date.

I will go back to work with my head held high, and my employers will hang theirs in shame.

The small man (or woman in this case) has a voice, and if you shout loud enough your voice will be heard.

I had months of worry, sleepless nights and anxiety over what the future held for me. I left my work with my head held in shame. At one point I even felt I was not strong enough emotionally or physically to cope with the pressure of a court case.

But I fought my corner and won!!

To anyone facing disciplinary action from an employer because of their Crohn's - fight, fight, fight, and never let the b@stards get you down.

Ellie :dance

GOOD ON YOU! A wonderful example to us all :) congrats! I don't know if I could go back to work with such a bunch of *jerks* but I guess you're a bigger woman than I!

Thank you so much acc929, I will not be working in the same dept though as obviously there will be some animosity to say the least! I can't wait to get back to work - and will make sure everyone I speak to knows the full story of what my employers put me through.

The pressure to return to work when unfit was massive but I had the full backing of the medical profession at every turn.

People who do not have to cope with any kind of health issue can be so insensitive and lack any kind of empathy or understanding.

At one point during my recovery my manager called me to see how I was feeling and generally push me into coming back to work. I had just come out of the vets after having my cancer-ridden cat put to sleep. I was very distressed and when I told her where I had just been (without telling her about the cat) she actually burst out laughing and said 'surely things aren't that bad that you're having to consult a vet now as well as a consultant'

Just shows you the type of people I was up against eh. What chance do you have dealing with an attitude like that?!

Well done!! Such a great story, you so deserve to win your case. :dance::dance::dance:

Good luck with getting back to work :ybiggrin:

Congrats :) haha I thought the story was gonna end with you saying you got paid out millions and plan on sharing it with us all ;p

Calamity Moo,
I was just recently let go from my part-time position with a Non-Profit Foundation due to my "inability" to continue working and focus. I was devastated and mentioned to my boss that this was discrimination against me because I'm sick. This was unfair and that I have only missed like 2 days of work over the last 2 years.
The big blow up was when I booked the wrong caterer due to a miscommunication based on the caterer we used last year.
It is so nice to hear a happy ending with your story. I have however found an even better opportunity that will allow me to work from home and so I have decided to not fight them on their letting me go.
Thank you so much for sharing your story. I hope that your health will improve and that together we can move on.

Thank you so much pianogirl!

It's just a shame things did not work out for you with these foolish employers, but I believe things happen for a reason. Had you not lost your job then you wouldn't be in the position you're in now - able to work from home and much happier to boot !

Thanks Calamity Moo. I believe the very same as you do and I'm finding out from other employees that I am much better off not being there. Thanks again for sharing your story. Hopeful but discouraged at the moment that I'm not seeing much progress. I have maybe one good day and four bad ones. Trying to remain hopeful!

Angrybird

Thank you for sharing your experience Calamity Moo, I am really pleased things went your way and you are able to return to work :) How are things with your tum now? Are you still only on the Questran med wise?

AB
xx

Thank you pianogirl and Angrybird!

I too have good days and bad days, but fortunately the bad days are getting less and less. Flares these days are mostly caused by something I've eaten - there are so many foods I like but they don't like me back!

These are my current meds:

Azathioprine tabs 75mg,
Pentasa MR granules 4g,
Co-codamol tabs 30/500mg, up to 8 daily
Questran 4g sachets
Adcal D3 tabs (for Osteopenia)
B12 injections every 3 months

Previous meds:

Prednisolone – several times on and off since diagnosis
Mesalazine tabs 400mg
Mebeverine tabs 135mg
Ferrous sulphate
Budesonide tabs 3mg
Lactulose solution

Too many procedures to mention over the years including barium meals, barium enemas, colonoscopies, CT scans, MRI scans, bone density scans...the list goes on.

Plus of course 2 resections, the first in July 1990 and the most recent in November 2011.

Before my last resection I had 5 sick days off work in the previous 2 years - excluding pregnancy related absences. My attendance record was better than most of the healthy people I worked with!

Azathioprine tabs 75mg
---------
Calamity Moo, just on a sidenote, why are you taking just 75mg?

I am asking because the effectiveness range of aza is 2mg to 2.5mg per kg body weight. The only reason to go below that is if your leuko count has been significantly below the normal range. I was on a dosage that was too low (100mg) for my weight for 18 months initially (2003 to 2005) and while I was doing somewhat fine, the next GI I had (after I moved) showed me a study suggesting that below 2mg/kg the effectiveness of aza decreases quite a lot. I have been at 150mg (I am between 75-77kg right now) for the last years and that is definitely the right dosage for me.

Hi alex_chris

My consultant has determined the aza dosage, I've been taking this drug for many years, different dosages depending on my symptoms. My bloods are checked every 4 weeks and so far everything seems to be ok, my GP and consultant are happy with my progress. Maybe they try to keep the dosage as low as possible if I'm showing signs of improvement..dunno really

Angrybird

One thing I would ask your doc when you next see them is whether you still need to be on the Pentesa, this is usually prescribed in very mild cases of crohn's and meds like the Azathioprine get introduced when it is no longer effective which happens in most cases.

Hi alex_chris

My consultant has determined the aza dosage, I've been taking this drug for many years, different dosages depending on my symptoms. My bloods are checked every 4 weeks and so far everything seems to be ok, my GP and consultant are happy with my progress. Maybe they try to keep the dosage as low as possible if I'm showing signs of improvement..dunno really
I'd ask if you were you. I would also ask for print outs of all your blood tests and check yourself (your white blood cell count shouldn't be jumping all over the place but should stay at the low range of the normal range or even slightly below it - range is 4 to 11 thousand per cubicmm).

The dosage of aza is the same regardless of whether you have light sympthoms or more severe sympthoms, because aza's basic effect is to suppress the immune system. If you take a dosage which is too low, your white blood cell count might remain low in times of littel inflammation but it is much more likely to jump with you falling out of remission than if it is correctly administered.

I don't see my consultant til July but it's deffo something I'm gonna ask about. To be honest I've never really questioned the dose I'm on or done any homework about it. I'm daft enough to trust these people! I've had a wee look at the NACC stuff (used to be a member years ago but didn't renew as I was young, their publications frightened me and I stuck my head in the sand) and never realised how they work out the dosage. Thanks alex_chris for bringing this up - in my case ignorance was definitely bliss but I need to know if what I'm taking is gonna help or if it's such a low dose I'm wasting my time