• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Has anybody had a dilation done during a colonoscopy?

Hi guys I'm having a colonoscopy done on January 5th and the main reason for having it done is to have narrowing parts of my intestines opened wider for easier passage which will hopefuly mean less pain, less time on the toliet (its quite common for my trips to take 30-40 mins :poo: ), and more solid bowel movements. However as great as that sounds its all a "hopefuly" and I am very very nervous about the whole procedure. I've obviously had a colonoscopy before and it didn't bother me in the least and I will be sedated again so I'll pretty much be out through the whole thing. I'm wondering if anybody else has had this done and if so what you thought, results, pain afterwards....anything you can think of really and please don't sugarcoat it because I really want to know what to expect. My doctor has already given me pain prescriptions (I forgot to look but I believe its Tylenol 3 which my stomach does not handle so I have to take extra strength tylenol so does this mean I will be in a lot of pain?). Thanks for any help and any feedback you can give.

I have had a whole lof of dilations during colonoscopies. Mine ahve always taken place in my rectum where all my scar tissue is. For me it always hurts for a few days after to go to the bathroom but I think that is due to the location. If it is higher up you may not have that problem. For me they practically have to rip into the scar tissue as it is really thick. I have about a pencil to pen size area that is actually open so that's why.

In any case, I wouldn't worry too much. It should help you out. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Creepy Lurker, had it done too but he should see this and come to your rescue, he hides out alot lol. I have never had one, and was never mentioned in any of my scopes, and had many. Depends on the reasons why you narrow, if it is heavily inflammed I am not sure. If it works, go for it.

Haha yes thank you.

Jeff-They know for sure they have to dilate mine in the same area. Its about the same size actually. I'm not exactly sure if its scar tissue but my GI said its a largely affected area by Crohn's. So I'm guessing this means its inflammed pretty good there. She also said I'll probably bleed for a while too so I'm thinking they are going to have to rip something too. My GI said for sure in the rectum area and then the doc who is doing it will continue with the colonoscopy and if he finds anywhere else which is particularly narrow then he will dilate those areas also. Thanks for the help.

Hi canuck.

According to my GI, as long as the Crohn's is stable in the area that is being dilatated, we have a lower chance of tearing due to the thickening of the bowel walls that the disease creates. They tend not to try it with inflamed areas, so I'd expect that you've just got a fair amount of scar tissue there.

The actual procedure isn't much different to a standard colonoscopy. I couldn't feel any difference when they were stretching my strictures open. There was no pain afterwards (apart from the obvious post scope bloating). They should give you a fairly big dose of the sedative as the procedure will take a bit longer (depending on how many sites need to be dilatated). You might not even remember it at

Very minor bleeding (on the screen). Nothing visible at the 'exit' (if you will).

Overall, the procedure was pretty helpful and kept me out of surgery.

Thanks creepy. Heard you might be lurking about...I'm sorry that was really corny. But in all seriousness thanks for your comments, puts my mind a little more at ease. I always tend to worry so thats inevitable but your comments certainly helps things. I hope your doing well and I'm trying to be as optimistic as I can that it will help me too. I'm going through a rough patch right now and its starting to wear on me. I guess time will tell but thanks for your response and it really does help to put my mind it ease.
Also thanks to all others that answered as well.

crazycanuck said:
Thanks creepy. Heard you might be lurking about...I'm sorry that was really corny. But in all seriousness thanks for your comments, puts my mind a little more at ease. I always tend to worry so thats inevitable but your comments certainly helps things. I hope your doing well and I'm trying to be as optimistic as I can that it will help me too. I'm going through a rough patch right now and its starting to wear on me. I guess time will tell but thanks for your response and it really does help to put my mind it ease.
Also thanks to all others that answered as well.
No problem :)

I had two in total, but had another flare which stopped any more being done. Been on Remicade since.

Let us know how it goes :)