• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Has anyone bein prescribed questran for crohns?

hi - I was diagnosed 3 years ago after almost 2 years of tests. I was prescribed questran which was vile but helped slow toilet trips - just wonderered if anyone else as heard of or taken this? Its more commonly used after kidney stone ops, but have to say I felt like a bit of a "trial" patient. I used the sachets on and off for a year and enjoyed a remission until now :( Please let me know if you,ve ever heard of or used this medication - thanx

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi carol ann and :welcome:

There are many members here that are using or have used Questran or it's tablet form Welchol. My daughter was prescribed Questran post resection for diarrhoea caused by bile salt malabsortpion due to removal of the terminal ileum.
My daughter was youngish at the time, 14, and found it far too unpalatable so refused to take it. She managed her life by adjusting when she ate, it worked but really was far from a satisfactory way to function. After a couple of years she happened upon psyllium husks and now uses them daily as a way of controlling the diarrhoea. It has worked wonderfully well for her and and the way it actions in the bowel is much the same as Questran.

Dusty. xxx

Angrybird

Hello Carol Ann, I have not been on Questran myself but did just want to say 'hi' and welcome to the forum. From your post I take it you are now having problems again? Have you been in contact with your GI about this and if so what have they suggested now for you treatment wise?

AB
xx

Hi, I take something similar called Colestid after having my terminal ileum removed, you can get it in a orange flavour which is much more palatable than the plain one which is like drinking sand in water. Its great stuff and worked almost immediately.

Glad you posted Rob, I was thinking that Colestid was the same thing, but wasn't certain. I was prescribed Colestid in a pill form, which made it even easier to take. And yes, worked almost immediately.

Thanks for your responses and for welcoming me. Its good to know that other people have tried questran...and also hated it! Waiting for an appointment with GP - but feeling grotty and annoyed that gotta go through it all again - also scared what the outcome of it all is gonna be this time. Feeling a bit sorry for myself and low - but really glad ive found this site, as all your responses have been really nice - thanx x

Carol, maybe you could ask if you could take Colestid in the pill form? Unless there is some medical or insurance reason, if you can, it would make it easier....

hi - Ive had enough of questran and as suggested im goin to try psyllium husk in tablet form and see how it goes. Goin 2 start on low dosage and see what happens - fingers crossed. Any advice on side-effects and how long before it kicks in? What should i expect? would be grateful for any advice x

Hi,
i have taken Questran for the last 7 years after removal of my terminal ileum. I put in tesco blackcurrant high juice into a pint glass Then sprinkle in a sachet, top up with water, and allow to settle for 5mins before drinking slowly and stirring. This is the best method i have found, and i am a real baby about taking foul liquids!!

Im starting psylllium husk on monday (my day off) but confused by conflicting reasons for use :confused2: some people use it as a weight loss aid which is a worry coz I really dont want to lose any weight as Im already underweight, so how does it stop diarra? Im losing weight daily so Im concerned that this product promotes weight loss yet is also used by crohns sufferers

I was prescribed it to absorb bile salts, as when they removed my terminal ileum, eveything flowed straight through me! |These powders have been good to me, and allowed me to lead a predictable life as far as my bowels go!!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
The psyllium works the same way as the Questran. Because your ability to absorb bile salts in the terminal ileum is impaired you get diarrhoea...the flow of bile salts into the large bowel causes a pull of water back into the bowel and that then creates chronic diarrhoea.

The pysllium will absorb the bile salts in the terminal ileum, just as Questran does, and this then helps to negate the effect the bile salts would otherwise have in the large bowel. So it bulks up your stool. You will likely still have soft stools but it should eliminate those explosive stools and reduce the amount of times you go significantly. It may not work for everyone but my daughter on most days is down to one solid stool but she is also 6 years post op so I can't guarantee that there hasn't been some natural uptake over time either.

We have no experience with tablets here only the "powdered" form. You must also follow the same type of rules with taking other medication that you did with Quetsran.

Dusty. xxx

I was diagnosed with crohns about 12 months ago and have been taking questran for about 9 months. What it has stopped is terrible diahorrea - liquid in fact - I used to get regularly. In exchange for that I now get almost continuous bowel movement but I have to say I have a stoma so dealing with both the liquid stools and continuous movement is easier for me.
I also take a cocktail of other drugs for other conditions and finally got around the problem of juggling the times between questran and the other drugs by taking some of them during the night. It might seem a bit extreme but it has solved the problem of having to be more or less tied to the house so I can take my three questran per day, and allow the before and after Q times for the other drugs.
Alan

If im out i make up my questran juice drink in a bottle, and drink it when im out, quick shake up to mix the settled powder and i find it easy rather than being tied to being at home.

Thanks. That`s sounds a good idea. I`ve been trying to stick to the use instructions to let the mixture float on water until absorbed then stir and take.
I`ll give your idea a try.

Hi, I take something similar called Colestid after having my terminal ileum removed, you can get it in a orange flavour which is much more palatable than the plain one which is like drinking sand in water. Its great stuff and worked almost immediately.
Yes, that is the generic name for questran. I am on cholestyramine packets. (orange flavor). I add stevia to sweeten it or some juice. I only use half a packet because it can bind you up. But when you have D nothing works better!!!:smile: