• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Has anyone experienced elevated liver enzymes while on Remicade?

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Hi Gang....I am officially freaked out...I have on-line access to all my lab results via my health plan. It's awesome because I can check all my results days before I ever get a letter in the mail saying everything is normal. I can also track my B 12 levels etc....

Well my AST...liver enzyme is elevated this time. It has always been in the normal range. So, stupid Sherlock Holmes that I am, Googles Remicade to see if it could be related to Remicade.
There are tons of 'hits' ....http://www.webmd.com/rheumatoid-arthritis/news/20041223/new-remicade-warning.

I am worried. Have any of you had this happen while on Remicade? I know the liver is very resilient, and my levels are not high enough where I have any long lasting damage yet, but I like my liver, and don't want to mess with it.......Uggh, one more thing to worry about!!!

Last edited:
I have elevated liver enzymes. l my liver enzymes and bilirubin count is always elevated but not to a dangerous point. They told me it was Gilberts syndrome
<a href="http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gilberts-syndrome/DS00743">Gilbert syndrome</a>

It was nothing to worry about I was told. And I am also on Remicade at 10mg/kg

farm

Captain Insaneo
Mine has been fine on Remicade, but my liver enzymes are usually elevated during a flare.

Great - one more thing to "not think" about. Well Pop - that number is actually less than the percentage for us getting lymphoma on these suppressants - so I guess that means it is pretty rare. Let's hope the AST elevation is just a passing thing for you tied to something else more transient.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
I talked to my GI, he said it is probably related to the Remicade. We will just keep an eye on it. The AST is 36 (normal is 10-30) the ALT was 31 (normal is 6-40)...They have always been around 16=AST and 10= ALT....I don't like it one bit.

Just a question that popped up to me, as i am waiting for my 1st Remicade infusion after 2 hours. How frequently do you have blood tests to monitor your status (CBC, liver, kidney etc...) while on Remicade? Is it monthly like with Imuran?

You know, I can never figure out the "cycle" they use to check mine. It seems pretty random to me, but I'd say about every 3rd infusion I get checked. That is only if I'm not complaining about anything else happening. I can't remember if it was more frequent in the beginning though. Thinking about you today Mazen - hoping it went well for you.

I too have access to online web med stuff and the cmp, cbc blood draw I recently had done so that the GI has the results before I see him show say the same thing.
High AST, high ALT, but there is an added high glucose and low creatinine. about a month and a half ago, I have had arthritis rear it's ugly paniful sore and stiff jointed head.
had my 8th or 9th (can't remember) remicade infusion this afternoon.
dunno if this is all correlated or not, but saw this while researching and thought I would join up as well as ask/state a similarity.
ideas? thoughts?

AST isn't hugely elevated and ALT is good. I had an ALT of 120 and my doc didn't get concerned until I hit 150 ( we think it was due to methotrexate though not Remi). I wouldn't worry until your next lab work. Sometimes a test is just a weird one off.