• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Has anyone experienced low body temperature?

Has anyone experienced low body temperature, and if so, what did they determine to cause it?

I have low body temperature and have for a long time. It has ranged from 93f to 98f. The past two days it has been 95 and just a moment ago it was 93f.
My family doctor had no idea and sent me an endocrinologist four months ago. I saw her nurse practitioner which said they had no idea why since my blood work appears to be normal. This is so strange, and it has me anxious and concerned. Anyone experience this issue?

Thanks.

That happens to me. In my case, it is hypothyroidism where the thyroid gland doesn't produce enough thyroid hormone. Ask your doctor to test you.

That happens to me. In my case, it is hypothyroidism where the thyroid gland doesn't produce enough thyroid hormone. Ask your doctor to test you.
Thanks for the reply. I've been tested in September and my blood work came back normal. I'm going to have more blood work in the morning to see if anything has changed. It's very frustrating. No one seems to know why. Thanks again for the reply. Hope you're doing well.

I'm always at 97 sometimes 96.. It seemed like it started when I went on Remicade. So kind of wondered if it was maybe a side effect of the biologic

Thanks for the post. I'm only on pentasa so far. Just took it again and it's up to 97.4.

Hope you're feeling better!

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Mine is usually around 96-97. For me, 99 is a fever, same with my Mom.

Keep in mind if you have eaten or drank anything close to taking your temp it can affect that. Not sure about a dry mouth but that may be a possibility too.

Thank you for the post. I took it before lunch it was 93 and a hour or so after lunch it's over 97. I know eating has an effect on the temperature. Never heard about dry mouth.

Has your temperature always been low? It seems my temperature started being low the past couple of years, but never as low as it is now. Maybe just taking it more now.

Thanks again.

SB7 today I'm doing ok.. Every day gets a bit better. I'm actually even working by myself today and it's been fairly steady.. I've got the shakes a bit but I'm making it.. I finally got the munchies last night (I've been on steroids for 3 weeks and haven't had insomnia or the munchies like normal so I can tell I'm really sick) But paid for it this morning with some pretty bad abdominal pain... However.. I had nearly normal poop today! like it wasn't mushy, was pretty formed and wasn't green. So I count that as a hallelujah to me! haha

I'm glad you're feeling better.
When they had me on prednisone I stayed hungry.

It's funny, or maybe not, how somewhat normal bowel movements are considered victories.

Continue to feel better!

I'm glad you're feeling better.
When they had me on prednisone I stayed hungry.

It's funny, or maybe not, how somewhat normal bowel movements are considered victories.

Continue to feel better!
I seem to be that way while on Entocort or at least using it as an excuse.[emoji1]

I even texted my mom telling her I pooped hahaha.. I'm 30 years old and texting my mom about poop. While at work. Yeah. The life of a crohnsie.. I love and hate steroids so much, I'm craving sugary stuff so bad. But that's the stuff that makes me feel like crap. So I'm just gonna keep telling myself I don't like pain and that even though it tastes delicious I can't do it, no matter what.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I'm similar to JaimeM and Lisa - I'm always in the 97ish range. 99 for me would be a fever, like Lisa said. I've been that way at least as long as I've had IBD, maybe longer (I never really paid attention to my temperature until I got sick). My thyroid has been tested and it's fine. I'm always cold, as well - when other people are in shorts or t-shirts, I'm in a jacket and long pants and I'm still chilly. Not sure if that is linked to my low body temperature or not. I wish I had answers for you, but you're not alone!

Thanks. My Chinese medicine Doctor/acupuncturist had me keep a chart on my temperature for the last three months. I took my temperature before I got up in the morning, before lunch, and at bedtime. My temperature is almost always lower right before lunch.

Blood work tomorrow so I'll see if anything changes from September.

I have night sweats a lot too, I always kinda thought it was from my crohns and the low body temp.. but again, I have no idea

fuzzy butterfly

Hi iv not actualy checked my temp for ages,in fact i think the last time was last year at this time when i had my reversal done 😨. I always feel cold tho so maybe i should check it. Iv put it down to being so skinny and having no blubber to keep me warm ☺ i have night sweats to Jaime mine could be my age tho aswell.(53)😯

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I have night sweats a lot too, I always kinda thought it was from my crohns and the low body temp.. but again, I have no idea
I definitely get night sweats when I'm flaring. I seem to be in remission these days so I haven't had night sweats for awhile, but my body temperature is still low. That just seems to be my normal, no matter how active my IBD is.

Just as a thought, I once owned a fabulous thermometer that I used for years which put my temp at 96-97 F regularly. After many years I tried another thermometer with which my temp didn't go down to 96 anymore. Both were digital.

Thanks for your reply.
I used two different thermometers and they both read the same. i wish it could be that easy.
Last September at my family doctor's office it was 95.2.