• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Has anyone had adema from malnutrition?

Has anyone had or heard of getting adema in legs from being malnourished after going through a really bad crohns flair? If so how long did it take to build up blood levels for it to go down.:mad:

I don't know if it was from being malnourished but shortly after a resection I had bad swelling in my legs. The resection was seven years ago. It took maybe a year before it calmed down. I had acupuncture done to me. Everyone is different.

This is the first time I had this, the doctor said my protein and albumin leave were serious low so on a good note my protein is coming up but my albumin is taking it's sweet time. But they said ounce my albumin came back to normal my legs will go down.

Scipio

You can get edema from severe malnourishment - more like from long-term starvation rather than from a Crohn's flare. The swollen bellies you sometimes see on pictures of starving children in famine-stricken areas is an example of the edema of starvation.

The few incidents of swollen legs/feet I've experienced have been due to things such as level of hydration, sitting/standing for a long time, long plane rides, etc. rather than from malnutrition.

Thanks for the information I know it's crazy I went from November until February without eating cause I just ran to the bathroom all the time so about two weeks ago I was so weak I went to the er and you could count every bone in my face and chest. The doctor ran blood work and all my numbers was critical low, protein was like 1.2, ambion level was 0.3, Hgb, 3.5, white count was 1.5. He could not believe I walked into the er, at this time my legs was swollen real big and my ankle was big to. He said it is only seen in third world countries. Then they put a pick line and put me on tpn for a week and a half.

cmack

Staff member
4ever,

If you don't eat you you don't poop and If you don't poop you die. Make sure to keep eating. I know the bathroom problems suck but the alternative is much worse. I have had to do a liquid diet sometimes if things are bad, but I make sure to get some calories into me no matter what. Even if it is just a little it is better than nothing. I hope you can gain some weight buddy.

cmack

Yeah buddy most definitely like now I am fixing chicken n rice with ensure enlive. But your right buddy if you don't eat you die, I sure don't won't that bro.

Cmack, I am glad that I meet you here on this form you talked me through some very rough times, and still do. You make good sense. Please keep being the person you are cause I'll always need you around.

Candice,

I feel for you. I hated edema, I felt so deformed and ugly. Thank God it goes away.

Wishing you success,

cmack
I certainly felt deformed and ugly also, when it was summer and I was wearing compression stockings up to my groin and no one could tell me why this was happening. Plus I have a guilty obsession with high heels and now I can almost never wear them. :( And then it struck my face. I just suffered through while they tried to convince me I was on my feet to long....even though I sit at a desk all day long. And to take pills to reduce the swelling.

For now though, since I have been avoiding gluten since July to try and improve the Crohns symptoms it seems the swelling has become a lot better. I still have issues of my socks digging into my puffy skin so its still there a bit. When your body turns against you...its a terrible thing. And most doctors just want to treat the symptoms while I would rather find out why and fix that...even if I have to change my food choices.

Yeah it sucks when your body turns against you like that, I thought that could never happen. Hell I wasn't eating cause I didn't won't to go to the bathroom like 30 times a day and the meds my gi gave me was not helping so I decided not to eat from November until early February and I started to eat again and my legs just took off and got so bad that I went to the er and the doctor was surprised I had enough energy to walk, that's crazy bro so I spent about two weeks in there and on TPN for the first week and a half.

cmack

Staff member
Candice,

It made my face all fat too. I was embarrassed to go out during that time in my life. Thankfully it got better. I think diet, and depending on the damage to your insides that you suffer plays a huge role.

All the very best my friend,

cmack

Cmack,
Yeah luckily it's just in my legs up a little past my knees. I hope my doctor's are right about it will go away in time. Did your legs hurt buddy? Mine does but I still get up and walk around.

cmack

Staff member
4ever,

I blew out both knees skiing steep and deep. They will always hurt. I think you might have dietary things going on.Keep eating. Stick to the schedule. It will help.

Your bud,

cmack

I'm going to buddy trust me on that one. I just need to chill out a bit and stop being so darn impatient. I keep telling myself it will go away, but I guess I won't things to happen a little faster you know buddy.

Yelp that's what I am doing now buddy just focus on nutrition and everything else can come later. Yeah buddy I care for you to my friend.

cmack

Staff member
4ever,

It will all come to pass in due time. Keep eating healthy and you will mend yourself way faster. You are getting back on the right track. Remember the problems didn't just happen overnight, so it will take some time. Be patient. Hopefully every day will get just a little better than the last one.

I'm in your corner pal,

cmack