• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Has anyone had side effects from taking Imuran

Hi all, I was diagnosed with Crohns in 1985 when I was 17, my symptoms were diarrhea constantly and severe weight loss, bleeding from the bowel and ulcers in my mouth. It took 4 different doctors before I was diagnosed. I have undergone heaps of operations and at this point I have an ileostomy which I have had for 20 years and I have 1.5 meters of small bowel left, everything else has been removed. I have had another flare up lately and my doctor has started me on imuran which I seem to be getting some side effects but I was wondering if anyone else has had side effects from this drug. Before this flare up I had been on 6MP mercaptipurine (spelt it incorrectly) for 10 years with not much problem at all. I am thinking of going back to the 6MP as I never had any problems with it. I feel at the moment on imuran I am blown up like a balloon with fluid and having some other effects such as flu symptoms, headaches, light headed and a few other minor things.

Hello I am on Imuran and have the odd headache, but I have really noticed lately that since being off Prednisone the last 3 wks that I have been having a lot of arthritic problems, at least that is what I think it is. I too have some bloatedness but was told since I have been on Preds for over a yr that it would take some time to lose this weight. I find Imuran has been doing alright in my system so far, except that my liver count was up a bit so I go for blood work every 2 wks now. I had my bowel removed because of a rupture then had a ileostomy bag for 7 mths now I have been reconnected and so far so good. I wouldn't suggest going back on ur other drug before speaking to your doctor. I hope things work out well for you. :)

SarahBear

Welcome to the forum, Sharyn!

I'm not taking Imuran, so I'm no help there. However, you might want to check out the Imuran section of the treatment forum, here.

I hope things go well for you!

Cecilialynn thanks so much for your response. I would not change my meds without seeing my doctor as I have full faith in him. I am on prednisone also but I am cutting it down each week and should be off it in 2 weeks. I have been having weekly blood tests to monitor my liver function while my body gets used to imuran. I was on 6mp for 10 years and had no problems at all, then I had a huge flare up and was close to death as my doctor informed me. Dr got that flare up under control with prednisone for 2 yrs and now I have had another flare up. See how I go.

I have been on Imuran for 2 years and thankfully have not noticed any side effects.

However I am having problems with strictures again so I was put on 40mg of Prednisone a couple weeks ago and am waiting for my initial dose of Humira to arrive....I've been told I will continue taking the Imuran along with Humira.