• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Has anyone had their gallbladder out on their way to diagnosis?

So just wondering if anyone has had their gallbladder out?

Has anyone had it out - for reasons other than gallstones?

Do you regret it? Have you had problems with diarrheah since?

I have been offered gallbladder surgery although testing is negative. It is hard to get a good idea of gallbladder surgery as I understand that many 'average' people who have it out don't have problems, so don't post any info on the internet.

What is your gallbladder story? - Good or bad?

David

Co-Founder
It's somewhat common from what I've read around here. If you want to read some more anecdotes or contact others for their stories, I suggest going to the "search" button at the top left and entering, "gallbladder removal" and you'll have no shortage of threads to read through :)

I had mine out before my diagnosis. Initially I thought the pain was gallbladder related (right upper side, with back pain). Had a hida scan, showed functioning of only 30. Had the surgery.. the next day the same pain was back and I was devastated. Soon after, I had a colonoscopy/biopsy and was diagnosed with crohn's.

It's hard to know if it was the wrong decision to have my gallbladder out because 1. it wasn't functioning properly in the first place, and I probably would have needed it out anyway eventually, and 2. I have noticed that if I eat a fatty meal I do sometimes have urgency and need to run to the toilet. As long as I watch my fat intake, it's not an issue.

I had my gallbladder out in May as the ultrasound revealed sludge after three previous attacks. Never in a million years did I think I'd be back in August with a Crohn's diagnosis. But it happened.