• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Has anyone heard of using coconut for Crohn's?

My sister sent me an article from the winston-Salem NC, newspaper about people who are using coconut for Crohn's. Has anyone heard of that or tried it?:ack:

Coconut oil has a lot of healing properties. It is a natural antibacterial and antifungal. It is one of the healthiest oils there is as it is full of good stuff.

My sister sent me an article from the winston-Salem NC, newspaper about people who are using coconut for Crohn's. Has anyone heard of that or tried it?:ack:

I think coconut oil is great! I personally cook with it regularly. It can have draw backs for those with IBD conditions though. The medium chain triglycerides in coconut oil can cause upset stomach issues for some. I've not experienced this myself, but have read here on the sight many complaining about this.

nogutsnoglory

Coconut oil has many health properties but also may lend to more diarrhea.

Coconut meat though is high in fiber and should be used with caution in someone with IBD.

If I'm not eating a spoonful of it straight, I'm putting it in my tea. Cleared up a rash on my boyfriend with it. Coconut oil is a powerhouse of awesomeness IMHO.

I think it's the best way to get the necessary daily fat (5-15 grams?) your body requires for us with malabsorption issues. The medium chain fatty acids are easier to digest for most, definitely moreso than long chain fatty acids which comprise most fat intake (upwards 90% in modern diet). Long chain fats in elemental formulas have been shown to increase inflammation while medium chain triglycerides have shown to decrease inflammation.

3 grams per day of MCTs (constituting 63% of coconut oil by volume, or in supplement form) seem to modulate the immune system positively. The lauric acid and caprylic acid are also anti bacterial/anti fungal/anti candida and not found in many foods.

I've been trying to include more coconut in my diet, after reading about it. Mostly I've used it for baking and things like stir fries. I need to do it more.

What about coconut water? I drink a lot of that. I've heard that also helps with inflammation. It tastes great too.

I'm feeling better about the coconut oil from all I'm hearing.

Thank you for taking the time to post about it. Kinsey

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I'm one of those who just cannot handle coconut. A couple years ago, I bought some coconut oil capsules as I had also heard that they are good for people with IBD. I took the first capsule - and quickly ended up in horrendous stomach pain that lasted for hours! I tossed the rest of the bottle, a real shame too because it was expensive. Then, more recently, my hubby's relative baked some cookies that were made with coconut flour. I had just one cookie, and I was in pain and nauseous for several days. Horrible! I used to do okay with coconut milk yogurt, but probiotics have become problematic for me too so that's also out. I avoid coconut in its entirety now, it's just not worth the pain and symptoms it causes!

Cat - I had a similar experience with coconut like you. I bought some expensive coconut oil and after taking it I had very bad stomach pain and almost threw up. I like coconut but it doesn't agree with me for some reason. I also have problems with probiotics and have quit buying them and having to throw them out. Yogurt is also a problem for me, but not as bad as the coconut or probiotics.

Jac

Jac & Cat, you have my deepest sympathies for the coconut intolerance. Since I've developed a taste for it, I usually have it daily for stir fry purposes if not curried dishes.

Just wondering, do you guys have active symptoms further up the digestive system than the small/large intestines? Like the stomach or duodenum?

I think many problematic foods are tied directly to the dysfunction/inflammation of specific segments of the digestive tract. Like, I have slight inflammation at the beginning of my small intestines which I think is responsible for my problems with coffee, for whatever functional reason that segment serves in relation to coffee.

By the way, since I've been taking n-acetylglucosamine (NAG) daily, I've been able to tolerate coffee much better. Just my anecdote.

mnsun - I just recently had a colonoscopy and was told I had something called
"Duodenumitis (sp?) and diverticulitis. I was told that the inflammation in my deuodeum
was probably due to taking aspirin. I take Entocort for small bowel Crohns.

Sorry you have problems with coffee. I can drink coffee with no problems. I drank some apple juice and was sick and nauseated for 3 days afterward just like with the coconut oil.

That's great that the NAG is helping you.

My son is on coconut oil, it's been about 1 and half month and last week had first formed poos. Kinsey

He also is taken Probiotics and did the antibiotics for C-Diff., in addition to his meds.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
mnsun, I don't believe I have IBD higher up in my digestive tract (I'm still technically undiagnosed, and I'm in remission, but when I flare my main IBD-like pain is in the LRQ). I do, however, have severe GERD and a hiatal hernia, and when the GERD is really active then I get recurrent bouts of gastritis. So I have stuff going on in my stomach/esohagus area, just not IBD as far as I know.

And for what it's worth, I can't do coffee either. It gives me the runs, and the caffeine triggers my migraines. So not worth it! I drink herbal caffeine-free tea instead.

jac521, I can't handle store-bought juice either. I'm not sure why - even if it says it's 100% juice with no added sugar, it still does terrible things to my guts. But, if I make fresh juice from my juicer at home, that's always easy on me. Fresh homemade juice has never bothered me the way store-bought juice has.

While my son has crohn's and I sometimes make him smoothies with coconut milk my personal experience with coconut oil has made me a believer . I suddenly developed gum disease probably from all the stress of dealing with my son, and read about coconut oil pulling which is sorta like gargling with it. It quickly healed the inflammation of my gums so I try to use it every day

I love and use coconut oil, water, milk and flour everyday. It has been such a great alternative for me and I feel so much better with it in my diet.

I am so sad to hear that some have had such a strong negative reaction to it :(

What is coconut water supposed to do? I havent tried it before

1.its natural elctrolyte drink..has potassium,sodium,magnesium,calcium..everything that we are usually deficient in...its also its anti fungal and anti bacterial and is a natural energy booster.

according to ayurveda...it calms down the mind and is very effective in relieving stress...hepatitis patients are treated with cocnut water. It cools the stomach , helps in acidity, and is great for your skin and hair.